Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1034 1035 [1036] 1037 1038 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1863603 times)

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
  • Overanalyzing and overthinking EVERYTHING.
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!
« Reply #15525 on: January 04, 2015, 05:20:22 am »

I got back into the game recently and I think the longest I made it was about 7 before I got killed from blindness I never figured the cause for. What's everyone's usual working strategies?
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15526 on: January 04, 2015, 08:00:19 am »

Really bad day start with high stats and keep restarting until you manage to get out of town without dying.
Then carefully sneak back into town during the night and plunder the outlying houses for food and useful stuff, getting more protection and carry capacity.

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15527 on: January 04, 2015, 08:03:05 am »

Really bad day start with high stats and keep restarting until you manage to get out of town without dying.
Then carefully sneak back into town during the night and plunder the outlying houses for food and useful stuff, getting more protection and carry capacity.

Tried that, was pretty fun and I've had some sucess evading death during the first day, but always fail to find antibiotics in time and the infection kills me :P

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15528 on: January 04, 2015, 08:13:29 am »

First aid kits works too you know.

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15529 on: January 04, 2015, 08:36:42 am »

As far as I know and have experienced, first aid kits help prevent infection by cleaning a wound, but will not cure one. You need antibiotics once you reach the infection stage and that's what bad day starts you on, making you have to grab antibiotics within 24 hours or die. I may be wrong, but this is what I've experienced so far.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 08:45:04 am by Ygdrad »

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15530 on: January 04, 2015, 09:00:47 am »

Hm... maybe that was so. I only had to survive once and after that it was just a matter of being careful until I could kill anything, which is what I am at right now.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15531 on: January 04, 2015, 09:18:20 am »

As far as I know and have experienced, first aid kits help prevent infection by cleaning a wound, but will not cure one. You need antibiotics once you reach the infection stage and that's what bad day starts you on, making you have to grab antibiotics within 24 hours or die. I may be wrong, but this is what I've experienced so far.
You're wrong. First aid kits cure infections.

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15532 on: January 04, 2015, 12:26:18 pm »

With the recent gun changes, there's something that I'm unsure of.
Having high value Damage, Range, Pierce is obviously good while low recoil and dispersion is desirable.
What i do not know is if having high aim speed and sight dispersion is good nor not.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15533 on: January 04, 2015, 02:13:53 pm »

before I got killed from blindness I never figured the cause for.

Probably got hit in the eyes w/o eye protection. Wolves(undead or otherwise) are quite fond of biting you in the eyes. I guess that human eyes are so offensive to them that their desire to rip them out is so strong that it carried into their undeath.

With the recent gun changes, there's something that I'm unsure of.
Having high value Damage, Range, Pierce is obviously good while low recoil and dispersion is desirable.
What i do not know is if having high aim speed and sight dispersion is good nor not.

I think sight dispersion would be bad. I guess high aim speed means that it takes less time to aqcuire the target, but I don't know for certain.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15534 on: January 04, 2015, 02:20:41 pm »

Thats probably what it means.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #15535 on: January 04, 2015, 03:00:33 pm »

being that there's already a value for hit dispersion, and it doesn't make sense for an aiming dispersion to be a thing, I would then guess that it represents how fast/well it dissipates the muzzle flash.

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15536 on: January 04, 2015, 03:15:15 pm »

I have no idea.
Looking at the numbers:aim & dispersion
Improved iron sight: 6  -  45
red dot sight:         2  -  90
Holographic:           4  -  60
Rifle scope:           10 -  0
Pistol scope:          8  -  15

I guess its a trade-off, longer aim time for lower dispersion. Not that I know how sight properties interact with the gun properties.
Another problem I noticed is that it's hard to train handgun and submachine gun skill due to the high dispersion on the bullet as any gun mod effect is calculated before ammo properties.

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #15537 on: January 04, 2015, 03:44:04 pm »

Yea, I don't know what they're referring to with the "sight dispersion" at all, since they rated pistol sights better than any rifle sights other than a scope.

Yea... my experiences being what they are, I'm not particularly pleased with that set of numbers.

azmodean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15538 on: January 04, 2015, 04:08:39 pm »

Backing up a bit, the way your chance to hit is calculated is you have "dispersion" in "Minutes of Arc" (a standard for firearm accuracy) from various sources.  The gun itself, the ammo used, your skills, your dexterity and your aim level all contribute dispersion.  When you fire, the game picks a random number between 0 and each dispersion value and adds them together, the result is how far off your shot is from hitting your aim point.
Example (not actual values):
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
If the sum of the max dispersion values are low enough that it would count as a hit, you will always hit.  That is roughly how the "confidence" meter in the aim menu works, it evaluates roughly the worst case for the current shot, and gives you your chance to make varying degrees of hits (hit, good hit, critical, headshot).  The "steadiness" bar gives your aim level, when it reaches the far right, you're aiming as well as you're able.

When you're aiming at a target, you start out with a default aim level that is much less accurate than the gun is capable of.  You spend time (with '.', 'a', 'c' or 'p') to increase your aim level.  Dex, gun skill, and the guns aim speed (low aim speed is faster) all contribute (roughly equally) to how fast you increase your aim level.  The guns sight dispersion is the minimum dispersion you can achieve with aim level.

Multiple sights are treated somewhat unusually.  Every gun has a default sight, whether that's no sight at all (aim dispersion 150, aim speed 0, you're effectively just pointing the gun at the target) or regular iron sights, or a rifle scope.  You can attach more sights with mods, and each aim action will choose the fastest sight to use that will improve the aim level.  So if you have a rifle that came with iron sights and has a rifle scope attached, you'll aim with the faster iron sights until they reach their cap, then switch to the rifle scope to zero in to the maximum.

As for the values, I pretty much winged it, if you have concrete suggestions for what the values should be, or even an ordering of the sight types by accuracy possible with them, I'm all ears.
I don't think Jesus died from thorns being pushed into his brain. RTFA

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15539 on: January 04, 2015, 04:46:11 pm »

It makes a LOT of sense to have gun dispersion and aim dispersion.  Under the old system, all accuracy was lumped together.  This meant you could have am unrifled, handmade BB gun, but attach a sniper scope and somehow get perfect accuracy.  In reality, the actual barrel might be deformed or the wrong size, the BB itself may be pocked and not fly straight, and a dozen other very mechanical factors to throw off aim.  The best aim in the world isn't going to compensate for a bent barrel.

Aim dispersion is how accurately you can point the barrel using your hands.
Gun/Ammo dispersion is how straight the actual bullet is going to fly.
Pages: 1 ... 1034 1035 [1036] 1037 1038 ... 1086