Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1012 1013 [1014] 1015 1016 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1863190 times)

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!
« Reply #15195 on: December 08, 2014, 02:26:42 am »

Downloaded the latest experimental, picked the assault on precinct Z scenario, and the game dumped me at the edge of a forest after some debug messages about not being able to find police, can't place player, blah blah blah.

So now I'm a detective, out in the middle of assfuck nowhere, with no town in sight. Just rivers and swamps and forest. Plus a couple of farms.

Oh, and a LMOE shelter right there in the middle a patch of forest away.

So, bit of a mixed bag to be honest.

KA101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15196 on: December 08, 2014, 04:10:19 am »

Downloaded the latest experimental, picked the assault on precinct Z scenario, and the game dumped me at the edge of a forest after some debug messages about not being able to find police, can't place player, blah blah blah.

So now I'm a detective, out in the middle of assfuck nowhere, with no town in sight. Just rivers and swamps and forest. Plus a couple of farms.

Heard of some weapons being stashed there, huh?  Better check it out.  (Yeah, mapgen doesn't always have a particular location in the overmap.  It happens.  Some places like the mall or LMOE starts have that worse.)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15197 on: December 08, 2014, 05:48:16 am »

I like to imagine that you're just a really stupid officer.  Or not an officer at all.  You just found a halloween costume and attested that you were real, but no one paid you any respect so you wandered into the wilderness.  The goddam trees sure don't talk back to you!

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #15198 on: December 08, 2014, 05:57:05 am »

I like to imagine that you're just a really stupid officer.  Or not an officer at all.  You just found a halloween costume and attested that you were real, but no one paid you any respect so you wandered into the wilderness.  The goddam trees sure don't talk back to you!
take those trees down to the station, we'll make them talk
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

blazing glory

« Reply #15199 on: December 08, 2014, 06:20:27 am »

Nghh, I hate tank drones and chicken walkers, not because they are overpowered, but because they make me panic and make me forget I probably have something that can save my character.

This time, it was the fact I had the teleport CBM.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 06:27:53 am by blazing glory »

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15200 on: December 08, 2014, 06:25:29 am »

I sorta like to imagine that the detective was doing something weird in Russia, and wound up in New England because... reasons.

Ofcourse, That might because I only read one series of detective books that normally have the idiotdetective nearly get himself killed...
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15201 on: December 08, 2014, 08:58:56 am »

That's funny. In the 0.A experimentals, whenever I tried to do a Sheltered Survivor start, I got the same error.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

ejseto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15202 on: December 08, 2014, 09:24:22 am »

I believe it generates the map first and then tries to find the starting location for you, rather than generating your starting location first and then generating a map around it. If your city sizes are too large and you're starting somewhere that doesn't spawn within a city, it probably won't place you where you're supposed to be. Or you could just have really bad luck.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15203 on: December 08, 2014, 09:45:28 am »

In this case, it seems that it wanted to dump you in bum-fuck-nowhere and no copshop was gennied.
Highly Opinionated Fool

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15204 on: December 08, 2014, 10:27:05 am »

I've had the same with fireman start. Firehouses seem fairly rare. Police precincts are not much more common.

Zireael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15205 on: December 08, 2014, 10:51:16 am »

I believe it generates the map first and then tries to find the starting location for you, rather than generating your starting location first and then generating a map around it.

That is the case. Alas, doing it the other way around is not currently supported by the mapgen code (which is supposedly a monster in its own right)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15206 on: December 08, 2014, 01:06:25 pm »

If you want to do  one of the city start scenarios, it really helps to bump up city generation.  I'm running 2x city size and enjoying it, but 1.5x is also workable.  You get many more police stations and such.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15207 on: December 09, 2014, 07:07:35 am »

wth.....I thought perception 10 meant you would never miss a landmine but even with perception 11 I end up stepping on one while holding down the walk button. Did something change from earlier versions?

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15208 on: December 09, 2014, 07:09:32 am »

Was that the perception you gave the char or the perception at that time? Stats change from mood, pain, drugs, etc.
Highly Opinionated Fool

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #15209 on: December 09, 2014, 07:11:51 am »

I thought the break point was 12 though that might just be me being paranoid (and yes the system has changed somewhat but I don't know exactly what). Also was that your current perception when you stepped on it? Sun in your eyes reduces it so you might have been below the break point without noticing it and as Aseaheru said other things can as well (I just always notice the sun in my eyes message).
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.
Pages: 1 ... 1012 1013 [1014] 1015 1016 ... 1086