Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1004 1005 [1006] 1007 1008 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1862986 times)

nomoetoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Victorian Walrus
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!
« Reply #15075 on: December 03, 2014, 06:54:30 pm »

And one less libel to kill you when you set it up, even with 10 computers. Also easier to reload than a normal turret...
There is no reload.  The NX17 charge rifle is the only vehicle-mounted weapon that fires pure energy, drawn from the vehicle's power system.  No ammo involved, just a storage battery and a solar panel!
My experience with a mounted NX17 from a few versions back went a bit like this:
-rifle shoots pew-pew shots
-randomly goes "kaboom"; more annoying than effective
-went to sleep in the car with turrets on
-a zombie sneaks up on me and starts to bang on the door
-rifle decides to go "kaboom" on the zombie
-fuel tank explodes
-drinking beer with Abraham

At least you went out with with a boom. :D
The most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. At least that's what the restraining order says.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15076 on: December 03, 2014, 07:25:55 pm »

My experience with a charge rifle with something like this:

miss, miss, miss, miss, miss, miss, miss, miss, hit for no damage, miss miss miss miss miss miss miss

I got bored and stabbed the zombie once. It died. I removed the gun and put it in storage where it stayed until I updated the game.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #15077 on: December 03, 2014, 07:28:59 pm »

You need to charge it for several turns to get it to do decent damage.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15078 on: December 03, 2014, 08:10:50 pm »

Also to avoid base explosions, wire up some floodlights to light up the area around the maximum range of the turret.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15079 on: December 03, 2014, 08:22:14 pm »

Does the old "six concentric rings of spiked pits" thing not work any more? Used to kill damned near anything that wandered by, and it's much less of a pain to set up now that you can get hundreds of 2x4s from mature trees.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15080 on: December 03, 2014, 08:30:51 pm »

I'm actually working on that setup right now. I just realized how difficult the "sheltered survivor" setup is, even with the LMOE you're given, because you still gotta find food.

And all the wildlife is zombie.

No problem though, because it turns out that, even as a sheltered survivor with no real combat skill, if you have 0 torso encumbrance and a cudgel you can beat down an antlered horror without to much trouble :D

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15081 on: December 03, 2014, 09:02:57 pm »

Secret to melee combat in this game that surprisingly few people get, you either need 0 torso encumbrance, or combat skills equal to or greater than your torso encumbrance, preferably much greater. Do not follow this and you're gonna be in pain. When it comes to fast dodgy enemies, you want at least several points more skill than encumbrance. Also, terrain with movement cost higher than 200.

Those are all you need to kill 90% of enemies in this game. It's really not hard once you get a handle on the game. Hence why tank bot needs to exist or none of my characters would die ever aside from horrible challenge characters or random alignments of massive bad luck streaks.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15082 on: December 03, 2014, 09:10:12 pm »

Secret to melee combat in this game that surprisingly few people get, you either need 0 torso encumbrance, or combat skills equal to or greater than your torso encumbrance, preferably much greater. Do not follow this and you're gonna be in pain. When it comes to fast dodgy enemies, you want at least several points more skill than encumbrance. Also, terrain with movement cost higher than 200.

Those are all you need to kill 90% of enemies in this game. It's really not hard once you get a handle on the game.

Yeah, that's why I often start with at least the beginning two points in Melee and usually shuck my starting winter jacket before fighting a lot. A weapon with Parry and good To-Hit and swing speed helps a lot too.

Hence why tank bot needs to exist or none of my characters would die ever aside from horrible challenge characters or random alignments of massive bad luck streaks.

I'd say that tank bot does not need to exist/should be restricted to late game areas like military outposts/bunkers instead of randomly showing up in road barricades. We've got shockers and zombies and creatures with non-direct damage effects. Even the best character, if they lack gas mask/power armour is still vulnerable to bloated/smoker zombies. And EVERYONE without a viable ranged alternative is vulnerable to shockers. Tank bot is near instadeath for the non-sniper rifle equipped, except POSSIBLY if you're wearing good enough power armour. I prefer enemies that you need a specific[Possibly mutually exclusive with other useful qualities] quality obtainable through many means to be effective against, as opposed to enemies you need luck and a VERY specific combination of items and the skill to use them to be effective against.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15083 on: December 03, 2014, 09:26:18 pm »

With sufficient melee skill, you don't need to worry about shockers either. Just find a bullwhip, high melee skill means that pretty much every shot with it will be a headshot, which means you can stunlock anything that can't shoot you.

3. Run Resize Enable

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #15084 on: December 03, 2014, 10:03:39 pm »

Those are all you need to kill 90% of enemies in this game. It's really not hard once you get a handle on the game. Hence why tank bot needs to exist or none of my characters would die ever aside from horrible challenge characters or random alignments of massive bad luck streaks.
QFT

Also, Wood spear, Baseball bat, and Nail Bat.
Shocker problem solved, even at low skill, with an obstacle of course.
High skill, I agree, whip is pretty nice.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15085 on: December 03, 2014, 10:12:27 pm »

With sufficient melee skill, you don't need to worry about shockers either. Just find a bullwhip, high melee skill means that pretty much every shot with it will be a headshot, which means you can stunlock anything that can't shoot you.
Bullwhip is great against most enemies.  It stuns, which will prevent them from doing hostile things and make them wander.  Even if it can't deal damage, it'll still stun.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15086 on: December 03, 2014, 10:19:20 pm »

The cudgel does the very same thing, and it's got rapid strike onto of an already low-cost attack. It's my new favorite starting weapon :D

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15087 on: December 03, 2014, 10:21:59 pm »

But does it have a three-tile attack range?  :P
--

Question for y'all: Which should I mount on my Savage, the underbarrel RM121 (fires the 20x66mm caseless shotgun shells) or the M203 (40mm grenades)? I've got a decent selection of ammo for both, but I'm sort of leaning towards the shotgun since I've got lots more and it has a wider range of useful stuff.

3. Run Resize Enable

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15088 on: December 03, 2014, 10:25:59 pm »

Personally, I keep a holster with a RM288 Short Shotgun, which loads 2 20x66mm caseless shotgun shells.  Flehcette rounds take care of pretty much everything.  So I'd put the M203 on the underbarrel.  But that's just me.  When I build a rifle, I make them so they can take out anything.  Shocker Brute, Jabberwock, Tank Bot, whatever it is I'll hit it hard with some FMJ or just obliterate it with a grenade.  The shotty is nice, but there's other options for close in damage.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15089 on: December 03, 2014, 10:45:11 pm »

That's a good point -- I had one of those stuck in my pocket up until I got this mod. Don't really want to end up fumbling for a launcher when I need explosives instantly, I suppose.

3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 1004 1005 [1006] 1007 1008 ... 1086