Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 979 980 [981] 982 983 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1862750 times)

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!
« Reply #14700 on: November 19, 2014, 06:16:47 pm »

That happened to me some time ago. No idea why he couldn't just look down and see the river of magma and decide "yeah, jumping into that is a bad idea".
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14701 on: November 19, 2014, 06:20:26 pm »

Why d I have so much trouble making the prepackage cataclysm run on my ubuntu? :( Makes me sad when it says it doesn't find it.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #14702 on: November 19, 2014, 08:35:06 pm »

To train my survival skill from 2 to 3 i proceeded to butcher every zombies i kill, so far i'm over 40 zombies butchered, i'm at +/- 90% of survival skill trained on the way to skill 3 but it makes a -very- lot of infected meat lying all over the zone.

So my question is : are meat items staying there forever or will they disappear after some days/weeks or am i forced to take card of all of them manually and move them into a shrub and set fire to it in order to remove them all ?

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14703 on: November 19, 2014, 08:36:45 pm »

Well, they do make good fire material, keeps the fire burning long and hot. Let's you read all night long :)

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #14704 on: November 19, 2014, 08:37:18 pm »

Like corpses, meat, bones, and other rotting items should eventually disappear on their own, though it might be a while.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #14705 on: November 19, 2014, 08:42:51 pm »

Thanks, i'll get it to work then.

KA101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14706 on: November 19, 2014, 09:24:40 pm »

That happened to me some time ago. No idea why he couldn't just look down and see the river of magma and decide "yeah, jumping into that is a bad idea".

Takes a bit of inter-z-level coding (always a PitA) and I tend to think folks should think "hmm, I don't know if there's a way out of there, maybe I shouldn't jump down," so I tend not to consider it worth coding myself.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14707 on: November 19, 2014, 09:32:26 pm »

Like corpses, meat, bones, and other rotting items should eventually disappear on their own, though it might be a while.
Meat, fat, and hides should decay to nothing.  Bones and corpses do not actually rot.  Though a very old corpse will butcher into rotten meat, which then decays to nothing...

My vague understanding is, food that rots, will disappear when it's been rotten 2x longer than it was fresh.

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #14708 on: November 19, 2014, 09:50:21 pm »

Tainted meat seems to stick around for about two weeks.

Wasn't using rope to decend broken/partial stairs a thing? Did that stop being a thing?
Were my survivors one of the only ones that don't leap without looking and preparing?

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #14709 on: November 19, 2014, 09:54:02 pm »

Descending with ropes was indeed a thing, and still should be.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

nomoetoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Victorian Walrus
    • View Profile
« Reply #14710 on: November 19, 2014, 11:21:41 pm »

I have begun the process of dismantling every vehicle in the town I'm living in. I'm not sure what I'll do with all the metal but I'll probably use the nearby recycler to break the stuff down into smaller stuff to make metal arrow shafts and arrowheads. :'D
The most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. At least that's what the restraining order says.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14711 on: November 20, 2014, 12:13:34 am »

Meat, fat, and hides should decay to nothing.  Bones and corpses do not actually rot.  Though a very old corpse will butcher into rotten meat, which then decays to nothing...

My vague understanding is, food that rots, will disappear when it's been rotten 2x longer than it was fresh.
Corpses will rot away eventually unless they are scheduled for revival. Bones don't currently rot, but all you would need to do is increase their "spoils_in" time to something above 0 and they would do so. Here's the relevant code:
Code: [Select]
bool map::has_rotten_away( item &itm, const point &pnt ) const
{
    if( itm.is_corpse() ) {
        itm.calc_rot( pnt );
        return itm.get_rot() > DAYS( 10 ) && !itm.can_revive();
    } else if( itm.goes_bad() ) {
        itm.calc_rot( pnt );
        return itm.has_rotten_away();
    } else if( itm.has_flag( "PRESERVES" ) ) {
        // Containers like tin cans preserves all items inside, they do not rot at all.
        return false;
    } else if( itm.has_flag( "SEALS" ) ) {
        // Items inside rot but do not vanish as the container seals them in.
        for( auto &c : itm.contents ) {
            c.calc_rot( pnt );
        }
        return false;
    } else {
        // Check and remove rotten contents, but always keep the container.
        remove_rotten_items( itm.contents, pnt );
        return false;
    }
}
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14712 on: November 20, 2014, 12:31:33 am »

How do I use an emergency jacket to warm my hands/head? Applying it does nothing and wearing it doesn't appear to provide warmth to those parts.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14713 on: November 20, 2014, 12:34:20 am »

Hoods and pockets will automatically be applied if you are cold enough and the appropriate body parts are free. For hands this means not carrying anything, and for the head IIRC you need under a certain ENC (or maybe just nothing else on it, I'm not 100% sure on that one).

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14714 on: November 20, 2014, 12:38:50 am »

I... think that might be happening? The warmth of those parts keeps alternating between -38 and -26 every turn.

EDIT: Took of the jacket and the same thing happenes, except between -36 and -24.

EDIT 2: When I wield something, it stops alternating and remains at the lower value. So I'm going to assume it's working with some other piece of clothing I have.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 12:52:07 am by alexandertnt »
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!
Pages: 1 ... 979 980 [981] 982 983 ... 1086