Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 977 978 [979] 980 981 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1862759 times)

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!
« Reply #14670 on: November 18, 2014, 09:52:53 pm »

I'd speculate it has a lot to do with the fact that stone and brick are much more difficult to work with than drywall, vinyl siding, and 2x4's.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14671 on: November 18, 2014, 10:03:12 pm »

And also building-grade stone is not every stone, and there's more skills needed to extract it than is needed to make drywall and chipboard.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14672 on: November 18, 2014, 10:22:08 pm »

Finally got a sustainable character going, after some trial and error. As far as I can tell, the real difference between the "Oh god I'm constantly in danger of dying" and the "I can survive indefinitely as long as I avoid bullets and shocker brutes" stages of the game is one skill: Tailoring. Most of my failed games were because I had no storage, mediocre armour and was mostly naked from having my clothing destroyed. Once you can reliably fix/make clothing/armour, you're basically set. It took some doing, but I also cleared out the area around the pool in town, so now I can finally use all those snazzy new recipes that require water and am no longer perpetually in danger of dying from thirst.  Also, broth is the best. Herbal tea and scrambled eggs are pretty damn awesome too. In general, all the new stuff you can get from undergrowth is really cool.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14673 on: November 18, 2014, 10:25:32 pm »

IMO, it's more that that is a critical skill that gets trained as soon as you have the resources to do anything but die.

nomoetoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Victorian Walrus
    • View Profile
« Reply #14674 on: November 18, 2014, 10:42:45 pm »

Well I just realized an itsy bitsy teeny weeny yellow polka dot problem with the idea of setting up my mega base in this town I'm in.
It has slime pit. Stupid blobs D: you had to be in the area I so desired to set up my super smexy base of awesomeness.

All well I can set up somewhere else. still, stupid stupid blobs ruining my plans, I should probably finding a new location to live, :o I don't want deal with the risks of having an ever increasing horde of blobs only  a few blocks away.
The most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. At least that's what the restraining order says.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14675 on: November 18, 2014, 10:45:17 pm »

Finally got a sustainable character going, after some trial and error. As far as I can tell, the real difference between the "Oh god I'm constantly in danger of dying" and the "I can survive indefinitely as long as I avoid bullets and shocker brutes" stages of the game is one skill: Tailoring. Most of my failed games were because I had no storage, mediocre armour and was mostly naked from having my clothing destroyed. Once you can reliably fix/make clothing/armour, you're basically set. It took some doing, but I also cleared out the area around the pool in town, so now I can finally use all those snazzy new recipes that require water and am no longer perpetually in danger of dying from thirst.  Also, broth is the best. Herbal tea and scrambled eggs are pretty damn awesome too. In general, all the new stuff you can get from undergrowth is really cool.

EGGS. Sometimes I just spend a day in-game smashing shrubs and foraging through underbrush so I can have fresh lizard/bird eggs. Then I convert it all into powdered egg and scramble/boil the leftovers for delicious 'noms.

I play the ranger class too much methinks. It may be time to have a "quickplay" character jump through the hoops to survivaldom.

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14676 on: November 18, 2014, 11:00:23 pm »

I have a goo pit 8 squares away and it hasn't been a problem. Plus infinite(?) supply of blob gobs for making mutagen. Hardly see any blobs actually come to think of it. Odd.

Wonder if you could fence in a blob pit. Not like they're that aggressive and they're slow as hell.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 11:01:55 pm by Kaitol »

nomoetoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Victorian Walrus
    • View Profile
« Reply #14677 on: November 18, 2014, 11:07:20 pm »

I have a goo pit 8 squares away and it hasn't been a problem. Plus infinite(?) supply of blob gobs for making mutagen. Hardly see any blobs actually come to think of it. Odd.

Wonder if you could fence in a blob pit. Not like they're that aggressive and they're slow as hell.

mutagen is evul. D: all hail mycus.

The blobs wouldn't be a problem if there little pit wasn't literally across the road from where I wanted to build. xD
The most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. At least that's what the restraining order says.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14678 on: November 19, 2014, 03:43:08 am »

Holy shit.

I ran-genned a name for my character.

Urist McPrudent.

blazing glory

« Reply #14679 on: November 19, 2014, 03:47:48 am »

Holy shit.

Urist McPrudent.

Neat.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14680 on: November 19, 2014, 04:50:54 am »

i got that one yesterday, it seems common

Silfurdreki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14681 on: November 19, 2014, 04:57:07 am »

So I started a new character with the new version with the sheltered survivor start. At first I wondered why it gave so many points, I mean you start in a LMOE shelter, often with guns, tools and food. I very quickly realized why this was hard as a a zombear charged me through the snowfall as soon as I opened the shelter. Starting in winter is definitely a big drawback. There's nothing to be found in the underbush and you have to fight zombears and zombie moose from day one. Plus the very real risk of freezing to death with the windchill and your clothes getting ruined from combat. I certainly understand the decision to give the default survivor a winter coat and boots. Though it really hampers combat ability with 2 torso encumberance which is a big deal in the beginning.
Entropy is not what it used to be.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #14682 on: November 19, 2014, 05:24:13 am »

Holy shit.

Urist McPrudent.
There's roughly a one-in-five chance of a "backer name" being selected for a player or NPC random name, instead of a generated name. Backer names are only sometimes normal, and usually are easily recognizable as such. I typically either nuke all of them in the json file (though this does not stop one in five people getting the same generic name), or fill the backer name list with generated names. Or rather, I'll be doing the latter as soon as I have a good list of such names.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

DreamThorn

• Bay Watcher
  • Seer of Void
    • View Profile
    • My game dev hobby blog (updates almost never)
« Reply #14683 on: November 19, 2014, 07:18:08 am »

I'll be doing the latter as soon as I have a good list of such names.

Here you go:
A list of 2000 randomly generated names in C:DDA json format

Copy, paste and enjoy.
This is what happens when we randomly murder people.

You get attacked by a Yandere triangle monster.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #14684 on: November 19, 2014, 07:35:26 am »

I'll be doing the latter as soon as I have a good list of such names.

Here you go:
A list of 2000 randomly generated names in C:DDA json format

Copy, paste and enjoy.

Marvelous. Did you use the name lists from C:DDA itself (I believe I PR'ed a massive expansion of those at some point), or just a third-party name generator? Either way, this will work wonderfully. Thanks. ^_^

edit: Hm. While we're at it... care to look into the list of world names? It could stand to see some expansion as well.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India
Pages: 1 ... 977 978 [979] 980 981 ... 1086