Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 974 975 [976] 977 978 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1862849 times)

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!
« Reply #14625 on: November 18, 2014, 03:02:43 pm »

The 2 randomly generated NPC did a carnage, i think at most i killed 6 zombies myself from inside the hotel (by attracting them outside and patiently leading them into shrub, hitting twice with my crowbar then moving away before retaliation, repeat until all dead)

When you're not lucky you get what i did on a previous character : a super resistant hostile NPC with flamethrower that will one shot you, or when you're lucky they're weapon of massive undead destructions and will clear very nasty zones for you.

But it looks like my luck turned bad, i have all that water, i have all those containers for it, i can make fire but in the small hamlet surrounding the hotel (only 2 or 3 houses and a couple restaurant + a pharmacy ) not a single pot, stone pot or frying pan.
And i don't have enough survivalist skill to be able to make a stone pot myself.

Basically i'll have to adventure far from there to find another town , hoping not to meet a hostile flamethrower happy NPC :/
You can biol water in soda cans, IIRC

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #14626 on: November 18, 2014, 03:05:38 pm »

Yeah, While the NPCs can suddenly decide they want to rip your face off they can also be quite useful. The only reason my character survived in my video today is because an NPC cleared a house on the outskirts of town so I had a safe place to hide. Long as you stay far enough behind one you can loot houses and such on the outskirts of towns quite easily.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #14627 on: November 18, 2014, 03:21:40 pm »

Thank you , those cans work ! i was able to use one for my water cleaning operation

On my small village map it looks like random NPC are spawning around a bit more than usual, no wonder the zombies are standing no chances :)

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14628 on: November 18, 2014, 03:38:37 pm »

I play with NPCs off, because they spawn too often. I once was playing a character that spawned in a LMOE shelter, and after a couple days there were like 5 of them near.

One had a spraycan flamethrower, another had an actual flamethrower, and a third one had a rocket launcher of some kind.

It was terrifying.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #14629 on: November 18, 2014, 03:41:26 pm »

Random NPC spawn is kinda broken AFAIK. In a few days the entire landscape will be nothing but purple @s.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #14630 on: November 18, 2014, 03:41:39 pm »

random NPC can indeed be very powerful allies, but unfortunately they can too be source of fast game over

As much as 2 random NPC proved useful to my character in clearing the hotel so i would have an excellent base of operation, their unusal amount in my small area increased the chances of the "game over" version would be there too instead of the friendly/neutral ones .

Like there, i ran into an overly unfriendly NPC this time while i was moving items to my base.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

After that victory, i thought things were going to be okay, after all the pharmacy backroom was filled with helpful stuff to get me better, so i went there, and while moving near the subway station, horror i ran into another overly aggressive NPC.

Unfortunately, this one wasn't having a crowbar but she had a machinegun and immediately went full auto on me.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 03:43:40 pm by Robsoie »

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14631 on: November 18, 2014, 03:57:20 pm »

In that LMOE session I ended up being killed with a guy with an MP5. I hid behind a tree, and the guy unlodaded like 50 bullets on me before killing me.

Yeah, that's why I don't play with NPCs

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #14632 on: November 18, 2014, 04:00:24 pm »

I like to play with the starting NPC, but NPC spawn off. It's nice to have a buddy, and it avoids most of the senanigans.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14633 on: November 18, 2014, 04:10:25 pm »

It's nice to have a buddy, and it avoids most of the senanigans.

My first experience with the new stable version was walking out of the shelter and getting instakilled by my starting buddy flamethrowering me because I was in the way of a dog.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #14634 on: November 18, 2014, 04:14:00 pm »

And let that be an important lesson for you. Never, Never, Ever stand between your starting NPC and any opening to the outside they can see through.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #14635 on: November 18, 2014, 04:17:33 pm »

Is there any chance we'll be seeing (har har) stealth mechanics any time soon?
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14636 on: November 18, 2014, 04:23:59 pm »

And i don't have enough survivalist skill to be able to make a stone pot myself
Just go (e)xamine bushes for a little bit, it goes up pretty quick and it's useful for a lot of other stuff, like bows and needles.  Pretty sure I got it to 2 in about 10 minutes tops...

ED: Oh, and you find stuff too - I found a tin can that fast-tracked one of the main reasons I was foraging in the first place (to make a stone pot to boil water in a LMOE start).
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 04:28:18 pm by gimlet »

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #14637 on: November 18, 2014, 04:33:07 pm »

Didn't thought it would train like that, i'll have to try for my next character if i don't take any survivalist skill

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #14638 on: November 18, 2014, 04:44:17 pm »

I tend to just train survival by butchering all corpses. It is actually how I keep track of what corpse I have looked at in those corpse spawns as the butchered flesh ends up being what is displayed after butchering.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14639 on: November 18, 2014, 04:52:14 pm »

Foraging can give you some really useful food, but it's rare you actually get anything.

Does survival skill increase the odds of getting stuff from foraging? It doesn't seem to have made much of a difference.
Nothing important here, move along.
Pages: 1 ... 974 975 [976] 977 978 ... 1086