Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 897 898 [899] 900 901 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1860300 times)

DreamThorn

• Bay Watcher
  • Seer of Void
    • View Profile
    • My game dev hobby blog (updates almost never)
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!
« Reply #13470 on: September 08, 2014, 02:36:11 am »

With the new melee changes, I find that the cudgel has become a worthy starter weapon.

Talking about early-game survival strategies: I usually take a shower victim with fast learner, robust genetics, quick, near-sighted, truth teller, heavy sleeper and fabrication skill.  I get myself some heavy sticks, rocks, strings and sheets quickly, disassemble the strings to get thread and make myself a knife, a hammer, a cudgel, a wooden needle, foot-wraps and loincloth.  This is all you need to take on one zombie.  Then you get its clothes and start to look for food, drink and more clothes.

I realise that truth teller is basically free points, but to me its a role-playing thing rather than just a cheap tactic.
This is what happens when we randomly murder people.

You get attacked by a Yandere triangle monster.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #13471 on: September 08, 2014, 02:57:20 am »

Well, just died stupidly. I was back to my car after a successful raid in the city and was using the advanced inventory management to move stuff from my wheelbarrow to the trunk. After much moving stuff around, I leave it to suddenly have bots attack me dozens of time in a row, killing me instantly. Can we please have an alert when we're hurt while moving stuff?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #13472 on: September 08, 2014, 03:48:07 am »

Well, just died stupidly. I was back to my car after a successful raid in the city and was using the advanced inventory management to move stuff from my wheelbarrow to the trunk. After much moving stuff around, I leave it to suddenly have bots attack me dozens of time in a row, killing me instantly. Can we please have an alert when we're hurt while moving stuff?
I'm pretty sure it should already be in the experimental. Kevin took a couple of weeks to put together interruptible dropping, which I believe included anything you could do with the advanced inventory menu.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #13473 on: September 08, 2014, 04:10:06 am »

Could be, I think my version is a week old or so.

Any news on the "let's not destroy the save at death to let player savescum if they died a BS death" front?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #13474 on: September 08, 2014, 04:37:29 am »

Any news on the "let's not destroy the save at death to let player savescum if they died a BS death" front?
Not really. The majority of players who are going to savescum already make clones of their saves occasionally, and while the official stance isn't against savescumming it certainly isn't for it; so it's a rather low priority task.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

DreamThorn

• Bay Watcher
  • Seer of Void
    • View Profile
    • My game dev hobby blog (updates almost never)
« Reply #13475 on: September 08, 2014, 04:52:12 am »

While preparing for my partial-unloading experiment, I had an idea.  I could just change it so that submaps marked as your "base camp" don't get unloaded.

It would be much simpler to implement, allows fires to burn, and allows the player some control over how much extra processing is done, but it is less intuitive and less realistic/powerful.

Any opinions?
This is what happens when we randomly murder people.

You get attacked by a Yandere triangle monster.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #13476 on: September 08, 2014, 05:32:48 am »

While preparing for my partial-unloading experiment, I had an idea.  I could just change it so that submaps marked as your "base camp" don't get unloaded.

It would be much simpler to implement, allows fires to burn, and allows the player some control over how much extra processing is done, but it is less intuitive and less realistic/powerful.

Any opinions?

That actually sounds pretty good. It isn't the absolute best thing ever, as far as realism goes, but it could work.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #13477 on: September 08, 2014, 08:37:12 am »

What's with skeletal dogs? Characters that can take down hulks, zombie dogs, human skeletons and worse just die to skeletal dogs without causing damage.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13478 on: September 08, 2014, 09:10:55 am »

I'm actualy one hitting skeletal dogs all the time with karate chops, while every other dog takes two or 3 hits to die. I dont think skeledogs ever hurt me.

They might be hard to kill with cutting weapons tho.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #13479 on: September 08, 2014, 12:31:47 pm »

I'm actualy one hitting skeletal dogs all the time with karate chops, while every other dog takes two or 3 hits to die. I dont think skeledogs ever hurt me.

They might be hard to kill with cutting weapons tho.

Yep. And, on the other side, I believe Soldiers are a bitch to kill without cutting weapons.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13480 on: September 08, 2014, 01:01:18 pm »

Seems like the version I got last night has some issues where at a certain point the game lags really badly on keypress and then terminates. I can't do anything specific to reproduce it though, and the error message just says the process was terminated.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13481 on: September 08, 2014, 01:10:52 pm »

This mornings one is fine in that respect, tho it does lag out a bit on waking.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #13482 on: September 08, 2014, 01:13:48 pm »

I had the same issues with skeletal dogs - my character could fight normal zeds just fine, but a skeletal dog could kill me in like 3 hits and there was nothing I could do about it.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13483 on: September 08, 2014, 01:18:46 pm »

About the dogs, the only way I have found to reliably deal with them early int he game is to throw things. A heavy object works especially well. I had a jackhammer, and I would throw it at a dog when it got near. Instant kill. Pick it up, throw it at another dog 1 tile away. Repeat until they are all dead.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #13484 on: September 08, 2014, 04:31:09 pm »

About the dogs, the only way I have found to reliably deal with them early int he game is to throw things. A heavy object works especially well. I had a jackhammer, and I would throw it at a dog when it got near. Instant kill. Pick it up, throw it at another dog 1 tile away. Repeat until they are all dead.
That...is amazing and hilarious. I'm just imagining someone turning their jackhammer on and then tossing it like a fucking javelin.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.
Pages: 1 ... 897 898 [899] 900 901 ... 1086