Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 885 886 [887] 888 889 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1860029 times)

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!
« Reply #13290 on: August 30, 2014, 06:26:59 pm »

I ran into one and it dident explode...

Musta have been outa gas.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #13291 on: August 30, 2014, 08:00:29 pm »

-trim-
[/spoiler]
-trim-
If you do driving around, keep an eye out for detached semi trailers. Or full semi trucks with trailers. Not sure if those exist. But if you EVER find a semi trailer, make a note on the map and come back with tools. Every square of them except the outside are cargo containers. What this means? Massive storage, and an even more massive supply of rope.
Oh yeah, those things are storage heaven. There aren't any intact full tractor trailers (you can occasionally find a wrecked one; presumably they were too big to survive mass destruction).
I ran into one and it dident explode...

Musta have been outa gas.
Depends how you hit it-- my old Batmobile a few saves ago hit one, it blew up and almost killed me; because those things are bugged like hell I savescummed and never felt bad about the bullshit death.

But if you hit one with almost no fuel or hit it with a sufficiently slow vehicle (under ten, but I've heard they explode at 9) it shouldn't go off every time. Might depend on the type of part it's hit with-- I hit it with a sword on the Batmobile, but I've hit it with quarterpanels to no ill effect.

UNRELATEDIT: Made a Ganz-Rutzing or whatever the hell it's called. It takes me like five minutes to reload, but it is the SHOTGUN of crossbows.

Perfect for taking down unsuspecting bears. And, if I wasn't a Classic Zombies wimp, with sufficient skill it could be used for oneshotting hulks and brutes and stuff.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 09:26:54 pm by Tawarochir »
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13292 on: August 31, 2014, 12:13:24 am »

Somewhat annoyed by my latest crafting bottleneck. I need a forge and chisel to make a lot of things. I need a forge to make a chisel. I need a wrench to make a forge. I need a forge to make a wrench. I need a wrench to make a forge. Electronic crafting is similarly stymied: I need a soldering iron to make a lot of things. I need a power converter to make a soldering iron. I need a soldering iron to make a power converter. I need a power converter to make a soldering iron. The town is mostly completely plundered and cleared of enemies, so that's mostly out as a source of resources. There MIGHT be a power converter SOMEWHERE amidst all the stuff I haven't smashed because I didn't have a Halligan bar to break them open easily then, but that would STILL leave me wrenchless. I can't realistically travel to another town because I don't have a tent or shelter kit[Due to lacking more then a few pieces of leather I got from killing a long worm. Fur doesn't work.] to protect me from acid rain. I could use a vehicle of some kind instead, but you need a wrench to get them functional and I have no gasoline in any case. So far my options are to investigate the Lab or the Anthill[Which I might not be able to clear, given my lack of good equipment from lacking a forge], scour the town clean in the hopes I missed something[Doubtful to yield anything much, seeing as its a small town], embark on a potentially dangerous trek through the sewers[A problem since I haven't found a good way to preserve meat yet, smash a potentially useful bionic I have lying around in hopes of getting a power converter that way or give in and conjure one from the debug menu. Or maybe just sacrifice that school full of child corpses to the Random Number God and pray for mercy.

EDIT: If there is some painfully obvious way to get a wrench/power converter/soldering iron, please point it our for me. It FEELS like there SHOULD be, but I really can't fathom what it might be.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 12:14:56 am by Arcvasti »
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #13293 on: August 31, 2014, 12:39:48 am »

Public Works almost always have at least one wrench, and sometimes a chisel. Electronics stores are your best bet for soldering irons.

Not sure about power converters. You may have to disassemble a few things to find one.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13294 on: August 31, 2014, 12:48:52 am »

Somewhat annoyed by my latest crafting bottleneck. I need a forge and chisel to make a lot of things. I need a forge to make a chisel. I need a wrench to make a forge. I need a forge to make a wrench. I need a wrench to make a forge. Electronic crafting is similarly stymied: I need a soldering iron to make a lot of things. I need a power converter to make a soldering iron. I need a soldering iron to make a power converter. I need a power converter to make a soldering iron. The town is mostly completely plundered and cleared of enemies, so that's mostly out as a source of resources. There MIGHT be a power converter SOMEWHERE amidst all the stuff I haven't smashed because I didn't have a Halligan bar to break them open easily then, but that would STILL leave me wrenchless. I can't realistically travel to another town because I don't have a tent or shelter kit[Due to lacking more then a few pieces of leather I got from killing a long worm. Fur doesn't work.] to protect me from acid rain. I could use a vehicle of some kind instead, but you need a wrench to get them functional and I have no gasoline in any case. So far my options are to investigate the Lab or the Anthill[Which I might not be able to clear, given my lack of good equipment from lacking a forge], scour the town clean in the hopes I missed something[Doubtful to yield anything much, seeing as its a small town], embark on a potentially dangerous trek through the sewers[A problem since I haven't found a good way to preserve meat yet, smash a potentially useful bionic I have lying around in hopes of getting a power converter that way or give in and conjure one from the debug menu. Or maybe just sacrifice that school full of child corpses to the Random Number God and pray for mercy.

EDIT: If there is some painfully obvious way to get a wrench/power converter/soldering iron, please point it our for me. It FEELS like there SHOULD be, but I really can't fathom what it might be.

Garages will get you wrenches and maybe even welders. Soldering irons you can find in electronics stores, off of zombies, and both can be found in some basements.

Forges you can find on farms. Maybe some hardware stores.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13295 on: August 31, 2014, 01:08:40 am »

If you have a screwdriver and hammer (duct tape, scrap metal, sticks, rocks, string), Disassemble everything you can get your hands on, and deconstruct furniture like TV's or arcade machines instead of smashing them. You destroy components when you smash. Check all the houses for ovens or microwaves or TV's, or toasters. Ovens and toasters have heating elements to make your own soldering iron. Power converters are in: tazers, food dehydrators, circular saws, hedge trimmers. Also try deconstructing furniture on the broken console in the starting shelter and in homes.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13296 on: August 31, 2014, 01:23:09 am »

Can't you use a knife or something on fur and turn it into leather, or was that removed at some point.

Also, zombies drop wrenches, hammers, and screwdrivers ALL the time.

Everyone was a handyman it seems.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #13297 on: August 31, 2014, 02:05:12 am »

Hah, that was silly.
Did my first play on the newest experimental build, was in an evac shelter on a road in the middle nowhere. Kay.
I open a door. Oh hey, one of those roadblocks happens to be directly adjacent of the evac shelter. Oh hey, antimaterial rounds in my leg.
Was promptly offed by soldier undead. This is going to be a fun version.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #13298 on: August 31, 2014, 02:54:05 am »

-snip-
Any pawn shops? From what I can tell, those are built to spawn everything. Check car seats and trunks. Enter every house and hope for a basement.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #13299 on: August 31, 2014, 03:40:22 am »

Here we go again. I go to the basement of the evac shelter.
Turns out there's a mugger with a flamethrower who won't take "Yes" for an answer. I bail out of the room with 1 head health to spare, just to get picked off by random feral hunter breaking in.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #13300 on: August 31, 2014, 05:03:25 am »

Turns out there's a mugger with a flamethrower who won't take "Yes" for an answer. I bail out of the room with 1 head health to spare, just to get picked off by random feral hunter breaking in.

Flamethrower-point mugging sounds like a somewhat ineffective kind of mugging.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13301 on: August 31, 2014, 05:25:36 am »

A flamethrower's a bad choice for close range combat.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Cheedows

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a dwarf, right?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13302 on: August 31, 2014, 10:01:24 am »

"Give me all your stuff or I burn the entire building down on us! Wait don't run, I'l really do it!"

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #13303 on: August 31, 2014, 10:14:26 am »

Only when you care about the condition of the surroundings.
Close combat is the only distance a flamethrower can reach.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #13304 on: August 31, 2014, 10:40:23 am »

Only when you care about the condition of the surroundings.
Close combat is the only distance a flamethrower can reach.
Granted, it was a makeshift flamethrower, that for whatever reason appears to have been coded to engulf the user's feet in small flames.
Speaking of which, someone should add NPC AI terrain threat assessment to the To-Do list for devs, as it is they like to  sort of sit in the fires they make after all enemies are cleared out, unless they have something else to do like chase that antimaterial turret with a baseball bat.
Pages: 1 ... 885 886 [887] 888 889 ... 1086