Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 837 838 [839] 840 841 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1860182 times)

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!
« Reply #12570 on: July 27, 2014, 05:03:07 am »

Check this out:

Quote from: Kevin Granade on July 26, 2014, 05:15:53 PM

Latest cool feature, surgically remove a zombie's ability to attack you while it's downed, then when it revives it follows you around, but can't attack.  Throw a backpack on that sucker.

Stupid question for you.
 Is this included in version 3d47f9d?

Quote from: Vanigo on July 26, 2014, 07:13:02 PM

Quote from: Kevin Granade on July 26, 2014, 06:44:45 PM

Not stupid at all.  Yes it is in that version.  You need a knife, a zombie corpse, and a LOT of survival and first aid skill (5/4)

Do they have a tendency to regenerate eventually? Seems like a temporary situation, what with all the bullshit the goo gets up to.

Sort of, if you manage to lose your zombie slave (get more than ~60 squares away from it) it will revert to a regular zombie.  That's an implementation issue though, and will be fixed at some point.

http://smf.cataclysmdda.com/index.php?topic=7286.0
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12571 on: July 27, 2014, 05:12:42 am »

Check this out:

Quote from: Kevin Granade on July 26, 2014, 05:15:53 PM

Latest cool feature, surgically remove a zombie's ability to attack you while it's downed, then when it revives it follows you around, but can't attack.  Throw a backpack on that sucker.

Stupid question for you.
 Is this included in version 3d47f9d?

Quote from: Vanigo on July 26, 2014, 07:13:02 PM

Quote from: Kevin Granade on July 26, 2014, 06:44:45 PM

Not stupid at all.  Yes it is in that version.  You need a knife, a zombie corpse, and a LOT of survival and first aid skill (5/4)

Do they have a tendency to regenerate eventually? Seems like a temporary situation, what with all the bullshit the goo gets up to.

Sort of, if you manage to lose your zombie slave (get more than ~60 squares away from it) it will revert to a regular zombie.  That's an implementation issue though, and will be fixed at some point.

http://smf.cataclysmdda.com/index.php?topic=7286.0
Michone anybody?
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #12572 on: July 27, 2014, 08:58:48 am »

Makeshift crowbars are good, except they don't let you block.  S'why I liked the 2-by-sword, it has similar (slightly inferior) stats, but the blocking is a godsend.

That's why they exist? After seeing its inferior stats, I just stopped using it, but if they let you block when you otherwise can't... awesome.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12573 on: July 27, 2014, 09:17:09 am »

Quick, and then a knife spear. It's the only weapon you will ever need until you can upgrade to a steel spear. With my current character I can get six to eight stabs in on zombears before they attack, and then when they do I block without fail.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #12574 on: July 27, 2014, 10:29:13 am »

Quick, and then a knife spear. It's the only weapon you will ever need until you can upgrade to a steel spear. With my current character I can get six to eight stabs in on zombears before they attack, and then when they do I block without fail.
Oh yeah, I forgot about those. Just make a stone knife and a stone hammer and you're in business to make them.

Steel spears are what kept my most successful character alive as far as he has-- three seasons. My seasons are 30 days a pop, mind you.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12575 on: July 27, 2014, 10:45:00 am »

Apparently I am missing something about the weapons. I usually just make a nail board to start with, and it seems like it has some of the best stats for a starting weapon.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 04:17:24 pm by Micro102 »

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12576 on: July 27, 2014, 11:20:29 am »

Eh, I just start with a shortbow and some field point arrows. Back away and fill them with arrows. Eventually, you can make a reflex-recurve bow and metal arrows which are just overkill.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #12577 on: July 27, 2014, 11:30:10 am »

Yup, with archery training you can become a (trans)human Legolas. If you're going for melee, though, the nail bat has excellent damage and the cherished ability to block; it's not bad at all if you can find the baseball bat necessary to craft one.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #12578 on: July 27, 2014, 11:37:41 am »

You also need to look at the techniques the weapon gives, in this example the nail board is something you can craft right from the start if you smash a bench and grab a rock, the knife spear has the advantage of having rapid strike which lets it take half the time of normal to attack. The disadvantage of the knife spear is you need survival 1 to craft it, so unless you put a point into there at the start you wont be able to craft it.

Nailbat has parry, not block, rapier is the fastest weapon with block I believe. Block is essentially parry that is twice as effective. If you have high starting dex then a parry or block weapon will be better.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 11:41:47 am by etgfrog »
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

1piemaster1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12579 on: July 27, 2014, 11:46:14 am »

I usually use a makeshift crowbar and that can kill just about any zombie i come across using bushes and windows until i find a real crowbar. Once i find a nodachi or katana though the game just becomes trivial besides labs and other spoilery things.

azmodean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12580 on: July 27, 2014, 04:42:01 pm »

Kiting zombies is (and is supposed to be) extraordinarily effective.
as long as you're moving faster than the zombie, you can do an attack-retreat* combo and almost never** get attacked.  This only works if the effective attack speed of your weapon is faster than the move speed of the monster, it also helps if you're only dealing with one opponent.

Quote from: jocan2003 link=topic=121194.msg5515349#msg5515349
Michone anybody?
Specifically yes, though they don't do the wacky "make other zombies avoid you" thing, and we don't have a working leash yet, though you can hobble them to keep them from moving around.

*The number of times you need to retreat depends on the difference in speed between you and the monster, a decent rule of thumb is to only attack after pausing to let the monster approach, that means you have a full action to attack and move.
**It's hard to guarantee never getting attacked, zombies have a lunge attack that lets them move and attack more quickly, specifically so that kiting like this isn't 100% effective.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 04:45:34 pm by azmodean »
I don't think Jesus died from thorns being pushed into his brain. RTFA

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12581 on: July 27, 2014, 04:52:06 pm »

And an error along the lives of "artifact.gsav not found as { but found as ' " just killed my current character via not allowing me to actually play as him any more :c I had a fully fledged base, garden with barbed wire fencing and pits, and a vehicle workstation built all to end that anti-climatically ....

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #12582 on: July 27, 2014, 05:10:56 pm »

And an error along the lives of "artifact.gsav not found as { but found as ' " just killed my current character via not allowing me to actually play as him any more :c I had a fully fledged base, garden with barbed wire fencing and pits, and a vehicle workstation built all to end that anti-climatically ....
I would think it would be easy to fix as you can edit the the artifact.gsav with nodepad++, but the most I think it will happen would be you would have to delete an artifact.
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #12583 on: July 28, 2014, 12:26:07 am »

So I've been trying to figure out for a very long time how to use mounted machineguns. I just found a hummer with an M2 and have no clue how to fire it.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

azmodean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12584 on: July 28, 2014, 01:20:03 am »

All the turrets are automated, there's no way to fire them manually at the moment.
In general, they act as containers that will only accept their ammo type, so 'D'rop ammo on them of the correct type, then go to the vehicle controls and use the drive menu to enable turrets.  Like engines it is currently all or nothing.
If it's an energy weapon you also need a power source, but since most engines need a starter battery now it's less likely that you'll be missing it and more likely that it'll just drain the battery if you have a smaller one.
I don't think Jesus died from thorns being pushed into his brain. RTFA
Pages: 1 ... 837 838 [839] 840 841 ... 1086