Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 836 837 [838] 839 840 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1860240 times)

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!
« Reply #12555 on: July 25, 2014, 05:19:28 pm »

Does anyone know how to get a recharging station to charge tools with the rechargeable batteries mod?

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12556 on: July 25, 2014, 05:22:49 pm »

Yep, you turn the recharging station on through the vehicle's controls, then you place your item with the mod in the recharging station.  Over a little bit of time the item will drain battery power from the car and recharge the item a bit.  It's not instant, but it's reasonably fast.

Note that if you are using a custom crafting station or something like that that isn't meant to move you can use the ^ key to activate installed controls without having to be sitting in a seat or anything.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 05:24:40 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12557 on: July 25, 2014, 05:55:09 pm »

Ah, thanks :) Been building my workstation for a while and was confused on how to turn the thing on, went and cut some controls out of a van and put them into the thing so now I can operate my floodlights and everything :D

teoleo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12558 on: July 26, 2014, 01:24:58 pm »

but i found a Horde in ever city i arrive....

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
« Reply #12559 on: July 26, 2014, 07:05:24 pm »

Hey guys, I've been playing Cata: DDA for some time, but I've never been able to so much as survive past the first day. Even making almost no noise whatsoever, and using crowbars to open anything that's locked, I seem to invariably find myself quickly enveloped by a massive horde of various Zs before I can so much as get a decent weapon, let alone find the stuff to make a molotov cocktail or get a base set up. Any advice?
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #12560 on: July 26, 2014, 07:11:06 pm »

The biggest piece of advice I can give you is to take it very slow. At the early game you will basically want to do this:
1) Find an edge of the city as far away from the shops as possible (since shops = greater spawns). A bit of houses that stick out on their own is best if you can find it.
2) Move in until you see 1-2 zombies.
3) Lure said zombies out and kill them on bushes/windows. Don't get hit at all, since every hit you take slows you down more, meaning you get hit more often.
4) Smash/butcher dead zombie corpses.
5) Repeat steps 2-4 until area is clear of zombies, then loot.
6) Watch out for hordes! You won't stand a prayer early in the game.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #12561 on: July 26, 2014, 08:29:31 pm »

Hm...do hordes not depopulate in the current version? When I finally got a character with enough armor and skill to try it I didn't see it reduce in size at all even after killing a few hundred zombies.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #12562 on: July 26, 2014, 10:16:29 pm »

Hordes will depopulate, but they can be really big. I'm personally looking forwards to when we have purely static hordes.

The fault stuff can be bugged sometimes, it's just waiting for someone to come along and fix it.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #12563 on: July 27, 2014, 12:55:22 am »

Hey guys, I've been playing Cata: DDA for some time, but I've never been able to so much as survive past the first day. Even making almost no noise whatsoever, and using crowbars to open anything that's locked, I seem to invariably find myself quickly enveloped by a massive horde of various Zs before I can so much as get a decent weapon, let alone find the stuff to make a molotov cocktail or get a base set up. Any advice?
Find either:
An antique shop
A pawn shop
A museum
And find in there a katana, nodachi, broadsword or zweihander.those weapons make things ludicrously easy. But make sure you have an actual weapon and not a replica. If you can't find one of those use a baseball bat, combat knife, switchblade or machete. Easiest way to find a baseball bat is to bait a school; the zombie kids sometimes carry them. The other ones are random though.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #12564 on: July 27, 2014, 01:17:20 am »

Actually, the easiest way to find a baseball bat is to loot a sporting goods store. Combat knives and machetes can sometimes be found in military surplus stores, along with other extremely useful loot. Go ahead and upgrade your weapons, too, for some extra punch. Guns can be given attachments, obviously, but melee weapons are a bit trickier. A nail bat is simple to craft through the menu, but the rare swords...
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Cheedows

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a dwarf, right?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12565 on: July 27, 2014, 01:20:59 am »

Along with the above advice, using a bootleg weapon before you find those should have the block tag, saves you an immense amount of health.

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12566 on: July 27, 2014, 02:05:42 am »

I find the 2-by-sword a decent starting weapon in that you can make it from parts at the shelter and as mentioned it lets you block which does a lot to keep you alive.  You still need to be cautious, use chokepoints to avoid getting swarmed and ideally use windows/bushes to inhibit the zombies, but it generally does the job against most zombie types.

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12567 on: July 27, 2014, 02:12:54 am »

Personally, I like the cudgel as a starting weapon. It has a lot of weapon traits. (Last experimental I played it did, at least.)

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
« Reply #12568 on: July 27, 2014, 03:08:24 am »

I've found that crowbars can deal a lot of damage, and aren't terribly hard to make (Smash a locker and find a rock).
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12569 on: July 27, 2014, 03:23:05 am »

Makeshift crowbars are good, except they don't let you block.  S'why I liked the 2-by-sword, it has similar (slightly inferior) stats, but the blocking is a godsend.
Pages: 1 ... 836 837 [838] 839 840 ... 1086