Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 793 794 [795] 796 797 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1862396 times)

Silicoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!
« Reply #11910 on: May 23, 2014, 08:41:33 pm »

We can always split the difference - put all of the "adult" themed items in a mod that's installed by default. Gimp suit, lost submissive and prostitute professions, "personal massager", etc. Make it enabled by default and you have the... well... best of both worlds.
Personally, I find it amusing that in a game that completely simulates hard and softcore drugs, has players killing children zombies by the hundreds, scientists performing inhuman experiments and other horrors, some people are horrified by the addition of a sex toy.

Its not like it is going to become Cataclysm: Hentai Days Ahead or something like that.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #11911 on: May 23, 2014, 08:52:16 pm »

'Murrica

I wouldn't be surprised that people find games like Amnesia terrifying because they are freaked out by the penises.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #11912 on: May 23, 2014, 08:57:39 pm »

We can always split the difference - put all of the "adult" themed items in a mod that's installed by default. Gimp suit, lost submissive and prostitute professions, "personal massager", etc. Make it enabled by default and you have the... well... best of both worlds.
Personally, I find it amusing that in a game that completely simulates hard and softcore drugs, has players killing children zombies by the hundreds, scientists performing inhuman experiments and other horrors, some people are horrified by the addition of a sex toy.

Its not like it is going to become Cataclysm: Hentai Days Ahead or something like that.
Yeah. Keep in mind, this is a game which encourages you to take drugs before reading books on chemistry, take drugs and perform surgeries on yourself, eat mutated fetuses, and so on. If a non-explicit reference to a plain old vanilla sex toy is what throws you off, you should really sort out your priorities.

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11913 on: May 23, 2014, 08:59:08 pm »

A dildo ain't so vanilla for a man.

ed: sex based happiness bonuses?
« Last Edit: May 23, 2014, 09:03:48 pm by Rez »

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11914 on: May 23, 2014, 09:05:22 pm »

This would be awesome.

azmodean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11915 on: May 23, 2014, 09:11:29 pm »

To re-derail the topic: I wasn't around for the anti-massager debate, but I have a question: Was there more than one Puritan Extremist in the against side of the debate?
I wouldn't characterize them like that, but there were about 5, which was far fewer than I expected.  I suspect that a lot of the "against" views stem from fear of embarking on a "slippery slope" (har har) that brings down the game.  It was surprisingly a non-event, we've had more intense debates about adding more flavors of soda.  A small number of people went, "don't do it, it's bad!", to which we replied, "why?"... the only answer given was that it crosses a taboo about having sexuality in games, which... pfff, if I cared about game taboos I wouldn't be making the game in the first place.

<soapbox>Considering that all the game needs to keep going is a handful of people to not get sick of working on it, I'm not sure why people are so concerned about the popularity of the game.  The only reasonable thing I can think of is the dominance of commercial games leading people to conflate popularity with ability to continue the project.</soapbox>

Personally the number of people playing isn't what keeps me going, it's HOW MUCH some players get out of the game that really makes me proud of it, and makes me want to keep making it better.

ed: sex based happiness bonuses?
If by that you mean only girls get the benefits, not a chance.  You're free to not use it, it's the same choice you have IRL, but I'm not going to code in that it's not possible, because it sure as hell is.

This would be awesome.
Someone can feel free to submit the PR that does this, and I'd take it if it works properly, but I'm not personally convinced it's worth the trouble, the same as the "minimal items" mod that keeps being brought up, but that no one has ever put any work into.

EDIT: In other news, we finally took the plunge and moved to c++11, expect significant performance improvements.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2014, 09:14:34 pm by azmodean »
I don't think Jesus died from thorns being pushed into his brain. RTFA

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11916 on: May 23, 2014, 09:18:14 pm »

I can't seem to un-wield things. Pressing "w" -> "-" just gives me the message "Never mind."

What am I doing wrong?

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11917 on: May 23, 2014, 09:43:53 pm »

If "-" is assigned to your weapon, shouldn't be a problem. You can also try 'd'ropping the weapon, or 't'hrowing the weapon into the space next to you.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11918 on: May 23, 2014, 09:47:09 pm »

I can't seem to un-wield things. Pressing "w" -> "-" just gives me the message "Never mind."

What am I doing wrong?
I had this problem too, since pressing "-" was how you'd unwield a few versions ago. Now you have to hit the key for the item currently in your hands instead.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #11919 on: May 24, 2014, 08:01:46 am »

I already cut bondage suits into pieces for the lulz leather, I'll just an smash these things into scrap whatevers. I also play solely as dudes anyway, and I am therefore not into beefisting these things anyway.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11920 on: May 24, 2014, 10:49:42 am »

I figured it was inevitable once panties made it in. Frankly, I'm a bit surprised you can't disassemble them, since I'll bet some of the internal parts, like the motor, could have other uses in case you need to choose between potential survival and... happiness. A bit surprising that you can't build them, either, since there's plenty of stuff on the Internet regarding people's creativity regarding making them.

And using them increases your tiredness a lot, enough to make you reach Dead Tired after about 4-5 uses, while the morale bonus stacks. Interesting. Maybe the first use should give your an adrenaline surge?
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #11921 on: May 24, 2014, 11:12:25 am »

Aw shoot.

This is just fuel to get Whales to insult what has happened.

BRACE YOURSELVES

RUUUUUUN
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #11922 on: May 24, 2014, 11:14:32 am »

I'm pretty sure the slippery slope mentioned was already passed a long time ago with the 'funny' elements being thrown in all over the place. Of course, funny changed from clown suits and dinosaurs to.. BDSM and 'funny' sexual stuff.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 11:16:04 am by Mictlantecuhtli »
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #11923 on: May 24, 2014, 11:28:16 am »

Aw shoot.

This is just fuel to get Whales to insult what has happened.

BRACE YOURSELVES

RUUUUUUN

Eh. Fuck Whales' insults, if you release a game with the license like what he used, I could release my own version with zombies replaced by kawaii schoolgirls if I wanted.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #11924 on: May 24, 2014, 11:48:29 am »

Dang it, guys. I stop watching this thread for like a day and look what happens.

... That's not to say I am not amused.
Pages: 1 ... 793 794 [795] 796 797 ... 1086