Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 783 784 [785] 786 787 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1862003 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!
« Reply #11760 on: May 04, 2014, 08:23:23 am »

Have you try changing the sidebar options ?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11761 on: May 04, 2014, 08:55:30 am »

Does anybody know why the zombie horde spawns right around you making any escape pretty much impossible?

Also how can I get back the old UI? The new one is absolutely shit. Cant figure out anything in it.

Zombie hordes still need a lot of tweaking. They actually aren't too hard, but you basically have to build explicitly to survive them which is kind of depressing - Silat+shopping cart = zombie slaughter time.

I have seen spawns that don't have hordes on day 1, but that was only 1 of 6 tries so it takes a little bit of trial and error.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Eclectic Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • Vinum Sabbathi
    • View Profile
« Reply #11762 on: May 04, 2014, 09:38:55 am »

"Why isn't everything perfect in every experimental release of this game?" -Eclectic Wizard

Im just displeased with the new UI. I dont expect anything to work in an experimental release. Jesus.
Invoking a deity doesn't make your posts sound more reasonable.

Jesus was a prophet and likely just a jewish carpenter of african descent. Lets quit this religious discussion.
Gosh I hate that new god damned UI, it makes the game barely playable! :(
Black chant mirrors the song of the stars
Open the abyss dreamt from afar
Abominations drawn to our dimension
Feed black desires, aid human ascension

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #11763 on: May 04, 2014, 09:42:34 am »

Do you have any specific complaints? And which version are you actually using?

I have a game which I've been playing for quite a while without problems with the 'new UI'

Eclectic Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • Vinum Sabbathi
    • View Profile
« Reply #11764 on: May 04, 2014, 09:46:06 am »

Latest version, here's a screenie:

Black chant mirrors the song of the stars
Open the abyss dreamt from afar
Abominations drawn to our dimension
Feed black desires, aid human ascension

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11765 on: May 04, 2014, 09:58:26 am »

...That looks identical to mine, and I'm playing the 0.A stable. (I play stable versions only)

The change took some getting used to but I kind of like it now, and I'm usually a huge sufferer of "changed-it-so-it-sucks" syndrome. Seems like it makes better use of real estate. And I don't think you lose any information that was previously available, so I'm not sure how it would affect playability.

So... elaborate?

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #11766 on: May 04, 2014, 10:07:45 am »

That looks suspiciously like what the "narrow" sidebar always looked like since its inception. It's been made the default in whichever version (I forget), so you can just switch it back to standard. I think.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #11767 on: May 04, 2014, 10:11:48 am »

What exactly is a mess? The info presented there is pretty clear and easy to read. There is a minimap, its early morning on a spring day, you have good focus, its cloudy and 67 degrees, you're wielding a butcher knife and have no martial arts stance and there are some zombies about, 2 of them to the south beyond your sight.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11768 on: May 04, 2014, 10:18:39 am »

It does look kind of scattered around its area, but I like it because all my information is readily available in one corner. It saves graphical UI real estate.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #11769 on: May 04, 2014, 10:40:48 am »

Yeah, my primary concern with the standard sidebar is that the information is spread out over the entire thing which takes up a third of the screen. I'd personally much prefer a further removal of the status lines and health bars - instead putting them into the character screen, moving the whole navigation thing up top and leaving even more space for the message log and item descriptions.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Cheedows

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a dwarf, right?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11770 on: May 04, 2014, 01:35:16 pm »

It might just be me, but I think it would be annoying as hell to have to go through my character screen when I want to know how badly injured I am. In fights it is essential you know how bad a hit hurt you, more-so with long drawn out ones where you may skim over a message.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11771 on: May 04, 2014, 01:47:01 pm »

New topic: I can't find the recipe for exploding arrowheads. Even in the json. Did I miss them, or is that a glitch?
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #11772 on: May 04, 2014, 01:54:06 pm »

Latest version, here's a screenie:

*snip*
About the only thing I could ask of it would be that it was more lined up, but that's the same part of my personality talking that asks me to make sure that all the blocks in a room in Minecraft are all the same type.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #11773 on: May 04, 2014, 01:56:22 pm »

That looks suspiciously like what the "narrow" sidebar always looked like since its inception. It's been made the default in whichever version (I forget), so you can just switch it back to standard. I think.
Pretty much, all it was was a switch/rename of the default version, mainly (as people have mentioned) to save real estate space.

New topic: I can't find the recipe for exploding arrowheads. Even in the json. Did I miss them, or is that a glitch?
It's about line 3000 or so in recipes.json. Do a search for "arrow_exploding" and it should come right up.

About the only thing I could ask of it would be that it was more lined up, but that's the same part of my personality talking that asks me to make sure that all the blocks in a room in Minecraft are all the same type.
The reason it seems like it isn't lined up is because the screenshot is missing about half of the total amount of things that it could display. Put safe mode on, get hit by a fair number of effects and wield a weapon with multiple shot types and you will start to see that it really just packs them in.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #11774 on: May 04, 2014, 01:58:24 pm »

It might just be me, but I think it would be annoying as hell to have to go through my character screen when I want to know how badly injured I am. In fights it is essential you know how bad a hit hurt you, more-so with long drawn out ones where you may skim over a message.
Its not just you.
Pages: 1 ... 783 784 [785] 786 787 ... 1086