Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 778 779 [780] 781 782 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1861946 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!
« Reply #11685 on: April 26, 2014, 07:42:51 pm »

Something annoyed me today, so I'd like to know how difficult this would be:

Adding an (a)ctivate ability to things like dust masks and goggles. This would remove their effect and encumbrance, like pulling the dust mask from your face and letting it dangle but still having it worn so it is not counted towards carried item volume, or having goggles/sunglasses on your head or around your neck but not over your eyes.

Cheedows

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a dwarf, right?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11686 on: April 26, 2014, 09:03:59 pm »

I'd like that, this way in a pinch you can wear your more protective pieces and switch depending on the danger.

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #11687 on: April 26, 2014, 09:47:46 pm »

After reading various beginner guides on the wiki and understanding how morale and focus effect learning, and how the crafting system works with stuff like cooking, I managed to get a survivor past the first day. Got various crafting resources and some food together, worked out how to purify water, dumped the bleach out of a gallon jug minutes before filling it back up with clean water for drinking (nothing wrong with drinking from a bleach jug), and barricaded the shelter so that the only entrance is a single window.

It's the second day, I got food and water and I'm not horribly torn up from zombies. I've learned various skills, got the items to craft various essentials, and got lots of carrying capacity thanks to army pants, a trench coat, and my crafted sling and hobo bindle. Feels like a huge success.

Punk rock girl Trianna Kobackaine starts her day with a fine breakfast of cooked cat meat, pop tarts, and marshmallows while smoking a joint and chilling to some mp3 tunes. I find this mental image hilarious.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #11688 on: April 26, 2014, 10:54:42 pm »

I got bit in the hand while finding parts to fix up my APC, and it soon became an infection. Looking at the map, I could see a hospital not too far south of the town, so I think "yeah, there must be medicine there". Well, there was. There also were over 30 boomers and about half that in spitters. It was tough in some places, but I managed to through, all the while taking painkillers to keep pain from infection down.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11689 on: April 26, 2014, 11:33:44 pm »

Day 2 went to hell really fast.
Spoiler:  Day 2: the Moosening (click to show/hide)
Jeez, you guys weren't kidding about the mooses. Lesson learned.

Question, if I were to sleep in the middle of the day would I be likely to wake up before night falls? I've got various traps set up around my entrance in case mooses attack. I'm tired atm and with the thunderstorm there's not much to do aside from smoke pot and listen to music, both of which are currently limited resources.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 11:37:26 pm by Mr Space Cat »
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11690 on: April 26, 2014, 11:42:26 pm »

There is a key that allows you to wait for a time.  If you have a watch it lets you set a specific amount of time to wait.  Otherwise you only get options like "Wait til the weather changes" or "Wait til dusk" 

I think it's the "|" key (as in shift \ under backspace and above enter)

If you sleep you'll probably stay asleep for a few hours, unless noise wakes ya.  So you could sleep for an hour or till well into night.  I think bright light can too but it's less reliable than just waiting.

There is also an option if you have a watch to set an alarm to wake ya, but minimum is 3 hours and it doesn't seem all that reliable in my experience.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 11:44:29 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11691 on: April 27, 2014, 12:57:02 am »

Third day now, I've been having a hard time sleeping due to constantly waking up from the cold. Constantly being tired is having a major effect on me. I'm spending the day scavenging for clothing from dead zombies that I could layer for warmth. I'd love to make a bed or something, but I don't have a blanket and I can't make a fur roll because I don't have enough fur, and I don't want to risk hunting big game after the moose incident.

Scavenging deeper into town is out of the question, after a single zombie gave me way more trouble than it should have.

I guess I could try sleeping out doors by a big bonfire if I can't get enough done to keep me warm today, but it seems really risky. I've got traps I could ring around me, but still. Them mooses, man. Also my lighter is starting to run low on fuel.

Also, a coyote got into the shelter. The only way out is through the window surrounded by bear traps. I'm afraid to try aggroing it because I can't hit shit in my sleep deprived state, and I'm afraid attacking a wild animal would call down the wrath of the mooses. The coyote lost interest in eating me at the moment after it wandered inside, now it's wandering between my piles of loot while I sit by the window watching it.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 01:01:18 am by Mr Space Cat »

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #11692 on: April 27, 2014, 01:06:18 am »

mooses
mooses
HEATHEN

...I'm not really nitpicking about the word mooses for any reason anymore, aside from the fact that I think mooses is a funny (non)word.

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11693 on: April 27, 2014, 01:27:22 am »

Meeses? Moosi? Moosidus maximus? Moosidus maximusi? Antlered death machines?

In other news, it started raining again, and there's way too many dangerous animals around my shelter for me to feel safe. The coyote's still in the shelter with me. If he doesn't wander back outside before nightfall then I probably won't be able to sleep at all due to there being a possibly dangerous animal next to me. Could be worse, I guess, the coyote could be a bloodthirsty moose.

I think I'm actually going to lose this character to sleep deprivation. Man.

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11694 on: April 27, 2014, 01:28:37 am »

I'd love to make a bed or something, but I don't have a blanket and I can't make a fur roll because I don't have enough fur, and I don't want to risk hunting big game after the moose incident.

Break a window and gather the sheet that drops. The blankets have the required amount of rags to make a blanket, though your tailoring might be an issue in breaking it down.

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #11695 on: April 27, 2014, 01:31:16 am »

Third day now, I've been having a hard time sleeping due to constantly waking up from the cold. Constantly being tired is having a major effect on me. I'm spending the day scavenging for clothing from dead zombies that I could layer for warmth. I'd love to make a bed or something, but I don't have a blanket and I can't make a fur roll because I don't have enough fur, and I don't want to risk hunting big game after the moose incident.

Scavenging deeper into town is out of the question, after a single zombie gave me way more trouble than it should have.

I guess I could try sleeping out doors by a big bonfire if I can't get enough done to keep me warm today, but it seems really risky. I've got traps I could ring around me, but still. Them mooses, man. Also my lighter is starting to run low on fuel.

Also, a coyote got into the shelter. The only way out is through the window surrounded by bear traps. I'm afraid to try aggroing it because I can't hit shit in my sleep deprived state, and I'm afraid attacking a wild animal would call down the wrath of the mooses. The coyote lost interest in eating me at the moment after it wandered inside, now it's wandering between my piles of loot while I sit by the window watching it.
Can't you just pile a crapton of clothes together and sleep in that to warm up?  I thought sleeping on wearables made you use them for warmth if you needed such.  I dunno, I've never had too big a problem with it.

Uhhh, then again, I normally start games by cheating in and deploying a billion turrets and map-editing a dry-moat around my safehouse, especially if it's suicidally close to town.

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11696 on: April 27, 2014, 01:39:56 am »

I'd love to make a bed or something, but I don't have a blanket and I can't make a fur roll because I don't have enough fur, and I don't want to risk hunting big game after the moose incident.

Break a window and gather the sheet that drops. The blankets have the required amount of rags to make a blanket, though your tailoring might be an issue in breaking it down.
I've already stockpiled various sheets and rags into a big pile, yeah. I haven't seen a crafting recipe that just uses rags to make a blanket though. I saw a fur blanket, but that took a bunch of fur pelts and rags.

Didn't know that sleeping on sheets and clothes and stuff could help, I figured it had to be either worn clothes or just making a bed/bed-roll/something. Will try that later, after I get real life sleep and get the stupid coyote out of my base. Get the coyote out of my in-game base, that is, not my real life base.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11697 on: April 27, 2014, 03:04:47 am »

Meeses? Moosi? Moosidus maximus? Moosidus maximusi? Antlered death machines?

In other news, it started raining again, and there's way too many dangerous animals around my shelter for me to feel safe. The coyote's still in the shelter with me. If he doesn't wander back outside before nightfall then I probably won't be able to sleep at all due to there being a possibly dangerous animal next to me. Could be worse, I guess, the coyote could be a bloodthirsty moose.

I think I'm actually going to lose this character to sleep deprivation. Man.
The plural of moose is moose.

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11698 on: April 27, 2014, 04:57:39 am »

I'm almost sure it's Meese. Like Goose and Geese.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #11699 on: April 27, 2014, 05:08:34 am »

No, it's moose, like deer.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit
Pages: 1 ... 778 779 [780] 781 782 ... 1086