Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 726 727 [728] 729 730 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1861596 times)

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - Version 0.A "Kaufman" released!
« Reply #10905 on: March 13, 2014, 11:43:32 am »

That causes morale loss in vegetarians, due to their head exploding in a cascade of sausages.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10906 on: March 13, 2014, 12:45:59 pm »

Just delete the "lang" directory where the game's installed to. It will make the game default back to English.
Thanks a bunch.

WhitiusOpus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pro-radiation Lobbyist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10907 on: March 13, 2014, 12:54:26 pm »

So I'm slightly confused as to if I have 0.9 or 0.A currently. You mentioned weapon degradation, but I haven't noticed anything. I'm decently sure I'm playing 0.A, as it has the mod manager, and I can change the screen size via pixels, as well as the Z-9's and other animals. Can anyone help me with this? Or is there another build currently being tested with those features?
Quote from: The Froggy Ninja
Young Masches: Fetch yonder blade!
Masches grabs his "sword." Navi gasps. Her aura flushes a pinkish hue and she flies out the window.

Steelmagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity makes everything fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10908 on: March 13, 2014, 12:56:45 pm »

Weapon Degradation's in the newest experimental, not the stable version. I play stable myself and it still has firearm cleaning kit, but no weapon degradation as far as i know.
When i say "I'm no expert but..." It means "I have no idea what the hell I'm talking about but I'm going to try to sound like i do."

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #10909 on: March 13, 2014, 01:12:22 pm »

So I'm slightly confused as to if I have 0.9 or 0.A currently. You mentioned weapon degradation, but I haven't noticed anything. I'm decently sure I'm playing 0.A, as it has the mod manager, and I can change the screen size via pixels, as well as the Z-9's and other animals. Can anyone help me with this? Or is there another build currently being tested with those features?

You likely have 0.A, if you have the mod manager.

The thing is, except for the stable releases, which are named and announced in this thread, you can also download Experimental Builds, which are made automatically every couple of hours if something new was added, so you can see all the new features at a cost of possibly having it be less stable (although since Experimentals often include bugfixes, it might very well be more stable than the Stable release).

EDIT: Dear god, I just had a hilarious try at desert_test generation with my Blackbelt build. So, after clearing out a whole hotel using only unarmed combat, I found a firetruck on the parking lot next to the hotel, and seeing a lab nearby, of course sped towards it at 112 kph, survived the crash, got out of the truck, and in just one turn got killed by a turret.

Felt like playing for the first time all over again.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 02:02:25 pm by scrdest »
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #10910 on: March 13, 2014, 06:22:28 pm »

Well after attempting everything under the sun to play the experimental I just went back to the stable version.

Why can't I play experimental? Well because I'm a massive baby who can't play without a tileset and the graphical version utterly refuses to even start for me. I had the same problem with the console version till I told my antivirus to stop being prejudiced against stuff that hasn't been used by everyone and their cat.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

azmodean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10911 on: March 13, 2014, 10:00:03 pm »

FYI the correct way to turn off translations is
linux:
LANG=C ./cataclysm
or windows (in a batch file I think?):
set LANG=C
cataclysm.exe
I don't think Jesus died from thorns being pushed into his brain. RTFA

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #10912 on: March 13, 2014, 11:53:26 pm »

Well after attempting everything under the sun to play the experimental I just went back to the stable version.

Why can't I play experimental? Well because I'm a massive baby who can't play without a tileset and the graphical version utterly refuses to even start for me. I had the same problem with the console version till I told my antivirus to stop being prejudiced against stuff that hasn't been used by everyone and their cat.

The graphical experimental for Windows needs some DLLs to run with tiles. Specifically, these:

freetype6.dll
libpng16-16.dll
zlib1.dll
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #10913 on: March 14, 2014, 06:34:55 am »

The graphical experimental for Windows needs some DLLs to run with tiles. Specifically, these:

freetype6.dll
libpng16-16.dll
zlib1.dll
That um...is helpful? Or it would be if I knew what that meant. Guess I'll just copy paste them into the thing and see what pops up.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #10914 on: March 14, 2014, 06:43:19 am »

freetype6.dll
libpng16-16.dll
zlib1.dll
That um...is helpful? Or it would be if I knew what that meant. Guess I'll just copy paste them into the thing and see what pops up.
I don't want to host an archive with them myself, but here's a post on the Cataclysm forums with the link where I got them: http://smf.cataclysmdda.com/index.php?topic=5575.msg95297#msg95297
All works for me now we just have to put the 3 files in the game folder:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/xoatmqvzxvtzis8/Tiles+corrector+cataclysm-DDA.zip

In other news, my character has now claimed a garage and is overhauling her flatbed into a sort of a van. A "sort of" a van because I am entirely unsure how so much stuff can fit inside any vehicle, much less a vehicle with a roof over its cargo compartment. Well, it's at least half mobile home by now because it has a kitchen, and might soon have a bed, but more importantly it's now filled with enough construction equipment to outfit an army of angry workaholic Gremlins, not to mention all the construction material and spare parts. I figured I'd just add doors behind the existing cargo area, but it seems I'll be extending the whole thing a bit further. On a positive side, I found a recipe for batteries. Seeing as I have more scrap metal and steel lumps than I absolutely know what to do with (and vinegar too, for some reason), I can now weld away with impunity even though I can't yet make a welding rig.

So far, so fun. ^_^

edit2: more fun animal encounters, since zombies are only left on the edges of town now. Sneaking around at night with an oil lamp and a nail bat. Suddenly - surprise moose! Take a step away - moose is faster. Remember that I still carry a S&W pistol for emergencies, though both Marksmanship and Handgun skills are 0. Swap bat for pistol - moose is right up in my face. Blam! Headshot! Blam! Headshot! Surprise, moose! :D
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 09:05:33 am by Sean Mirrsen »
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Steelmagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity makes everything fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10915 on: March 14, 2014, 11:17:44 am »

Narrowly escaped my starting city in a car and I am now staying in a gas station up the road a bit. Zombears started ambushing me so there was no time left to stand around.

On a side note it turns out the guy who i thought took my gasoline, didn't. I shot him twice with a shotgun at close range, killing him, before realizing that I was carrying it around. Now i feel silly, and poor Sally is depressed about shooting an innocent guy twice with a shotgun.
When i say "I'm no expert but..." It means "I have no idea what the hell I'm talking about but I'm going to try to sound like i do."

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #10916 on: March 14, 2014, 12:20:39 pm »

You know what's !!FUN!!?

Step one: Acquire a flamethrower.

Step two: Lure several zombies into a gas station parking lot.

Step three: Take a few steps back and FIRE!

Step four: Lure all zombies in a static spawn town into a gas station parking lot.

Step five: Repeat.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Silfurdreki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10917 on: March 14, 2014, 12:34:16 pm »

I just had one of the worst starts I've ever had.

Start off with a high-int hitchhiker (I usually play something like this) in a forest-side shelter with a couple of isolated houses nearby. Go there to scavenge some clothes for storage and run into a zombie dog. Kill that, go into house, see another zombie dog on the other side through a window. It tracks me through the house and catches up to me but I manage to kill that as well. Now down to critical health on my glass-jaw head, I retreat back to the shelter to heal some of the damage.

Cue not managing to fall asleep for the whole night so at 05:00 or so I set out to scavenge another nearby house under the cover of darkness. Inside I run into a tough zombie and have to leg it again. Sun rises, and I try for the same house again now that the tough zombie is somewhere else after chasing me. Cue another freaking zombie dog that I also manage to kill, but in the process I attract a couple of more zombies. Flee from those, and run into a giant web spider that posions me. After killing that with a burning bush and losing the zombies in a trap stash I'm down to critical health on both torso and head. On top of that I'm poisoned, in pain and have managed to get a cold. Flee to a second shelter to heal up and finally manage to fall asleep to heal a bit.

First thing in the morning after exiting shelter to get some water to get rid of my dehydration I get attacked by a coyote that kills me in a couple of hits. Final kill tally: four zombie dogs.

Damn zombie dogs.
Entropy is not what it used to be.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #10918 on: March 14, 2014, 12:35:21 pm »

You know what's !!FUN!!?

Step one: Acquire a flamethrower.

Step two: Lure several zombies into a gas station parking lot.

Step three: Take a few steps back and FIRE!

Step four: Lure all zombies in a static spawn town into a gas station parking lot.

Step five: Repeat.

I prefer to use a Spraycan Flamethrower, against a Zombie Cop, with a survivor with a Growling Voice.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

chevil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10919 on: March 14, 2014, 01:54:25 pm »

Found a bunch of mininukes and a book with recipe for atomic battery mod in a lab.

I now have a atomic MP3 player with 9876 charges and a pair of lupine ears.
Pages: 1 ... 726 727 [728] 729 730 ... 1086