Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 680 681 [682] 683 684 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1860948 times)

Steelmagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity makes everything fun!
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - Version 0.9 "Ma" released!
« Reply #10215 on: February 21, 2014, 10:17:08 pm »

Is there a way to repair my ripped or shredded cloths?
Sewing kits (found in houses) and bone needles (craftable from bones) both can be used to repair and improve clothing made out of cloth, leather, or fur, if you have a supply of thread and (depending on the damage) a supply of that material to use as patches (rags, leather patches, or fur pelts, if I recall properly).  You'll need decent tailoring skill to accomplish this, especially with more damaged clothing (shredded or tattered), though, since flubbing the attempt badly enough can damage the clothes further or even destroy them if they're already tattered, so it can be helpful to practice your stitching on clothes that you don't plan on actually using first. 

EDIT: Added locations.

My god, I wish I'd known this before.

Do you realize how many hoodies I've lost to the frickin' zombies?
I know the feeling. Everything changed when i learned what sewing kits could do. I'm not exaggerating either, the entire game plan changed with the knowledge that i didn't have to go around with clothes that would break when someone looked at them funny.
When i say "I'm no expert but..." It means "I have no idea what the hell I'm talking about but I'm going to try to sound like i do."

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #10216 on: February 21, 2014, 10:40:24 pm »

I'm going to turn off NPCs, methinks. All they give you is lighters and stuff, and they say some very nasty things if you don't persuade them right.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10217 on: February 21, 2014, 10:41:41 pm »

The first thing I do is reinforce all my clothes.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10218 on: February 21, 2014, 11:03:13 pm »

Cocaine. IS AWWWSOME.

Im mean, I was forced to sleep.in a house in the city or risk faceplanting in tge street.  Waking up I smacked the wall and an army of questionmarks responded.  Two bumps later (and a bump is small) Im zooming around like the roadrunner.

Irl i dont remember tgat though . . .
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10219 on: February 21, 2014, 11:42:51 pm »

I'm going to turn off NPCs, methinks. All they give you is lighters and stuff, and they say some very nasty things if you don't persuade them right.
Yea I've also decided that I'm done with NPCs for now.  They don't seem to cause crashes anymore, and they are excellent ways to train a skill, like holy crap.

But in order to do that you have to put up with the NPC following you around everywhere usually at a slower speed than you so yer constantly stopping to let them catch up.  It's a little less annoying in a car, but it seems like they don't understand how doors work and will smash their way through your windshield to reach some zombies if you let them, they can't even open the car door by themselves.  At least they don't dive out of a car going 80 miles an hour to grab a sock anymore.

The bulletin board sounds like it may at least partially solve the issue, but I imagine if the board is outside they will just get eaten by wildlife, but I already know that if you keep it in your base they will rob you blind and then charge you for your stuff.

I'll probably turn NPCs on again in another couple months and see where progress has taken them.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10220 on: February 22, 2014, 07:55:01 am »

What's a good early game melee weapon? I've been using two-by-swords, but is there a better one? I mean, the idea of a biker wearing a bandanna and leather jacket, smoking a cigarette, and fighting off zombies with a wooden sword is still hilarious, but just in case, is there anything better?
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10221 on: February 22, 2014, 07:59:33 am »

Pipe- you can break apart a locker in the shelter you start in for this.  Decent bash damage and good accuracy.

Machete- you can find these in research labs without too much trouble.  Good cutting damage.

Entrenching tool- you might find these on dead soldiers or in hardware stores.  They're very uncommon but have a good mix of bash damage and cut damage, and you can use them as shovels.

Wood axe- if you can break into a department of public works or a hardware store, get one of these.  Very powerful.  They're also in research labs from time to time but you'll need explosives to get one, typically.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10222 on: February 22, 2014, 08:12:10 am »

Alright then, I'll stick with wood swords for the time being; there's something about cutting weapons I prefer over bashing. Machetes and wood axes are pretty good but not always easy to get ahold of, i.e. your starting town has no hardware store etc. etc.

My latest adventure involved a night vision'd, trigger-happy, near-sighted high school student wielding a wooden sword and a Glock 19 who lived in a cabin in the woods driving an old mostly-broken car he called "The Batmobile".
There was a T-intersection with a lot of broken vehicles between my cabin and town, so I got out of the car to just walk there shortly before arriving at the T-intersection, which wasn't really that far from town.
Then two wolves arrive and break my legs. I dragged myself back to my car, ran over a coyote on my way home, and committed suicide after discovering I was thirsty and out of all liquids, even a measly bottle of Coke.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10223 on: February 22, 2014, 08:47:43 am »

Also a nail bat is a good early weapon, and has some cut damage.  Again a bat might be hard to find though.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10225 on: February 22, 2014, 09:48:41 am »

Steel spears and tactical/retractable batons
morning stars / rapiers
broadswords/nailbats
everything else

My hierarchy
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10226 on: February 22, 2014, 10:13:43 am »

Is there any way to light a gas pump from a safe distance?

I had the genius idea to clear out walmart and use it as a fort.

There were like eighty zombies in there.

They chased me to a gas station. I had a lighter. I figured I could use it to burn a gas pump, run away, and they'd all die in a fire.

I did. :-(

Can I, like, throw lit matches? Drop something on the ground, light it, and throw it? I wanna do that again, with less death.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #10227 on: February 22, 2014, 10:14:36 am »

Is there any way to light a gas pump from a safe distance?

I had the genius idea to clear out walmart and use it as a fort.

There were like eighty zombies in there.

They chased me to a gas station. I had a lighter. I figured I could use it to burn a gas pump, run away, and they'd all die in a fire.

I did. :-(

Can I, like, throw lit matches? Drop something on the ground, light it, and throw it? I wanna do that again, with less death.

Molotovs.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10228 on: February 22, 2014, 10:19:58 am »

Molotovs.  There's also a few makeshift flamethrowers you can make.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10229 on: February 22, 2014, 11:42:24 am »

I really should stop making vehicles. I built a massive armored fortress with 3 V12 engines. It still had a top speed of over 1000MPH. Ended up nearly destroying itself plowing through a horde of zombies with the fusion cannon turrets on burst mode. Damn that armor held up, though.

By the way, which is better, military composite or superalloy? I haven't checked the .jsons.

Setting the spawn factor to 50 sure is fun.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.
Pages: 1 ... 680 681 [682] 683 684 ... 1086