Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 671 672 [673] 674 675 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1860302 times)

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - Version 0.9 "Ma" released!
« Reply #10080 on: February 13, 2014, 01:48:28 pm »

Looks like the weather bug is still here.  Or at least in some respect.  In my game it's been lightning storming for 2 days.  And checking the debug weather screen it tells me that it is going to continue lightning storming nonstop for the next 5 days.

It's the middle of winter, I'm not a meteorologist but a week straight of severe thunderstorms in the dead of winter seems odd.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #10081 on: February 13, 2014, 02:07:53 pm »

Yeah, that bug is one of the more difficult ones to fix because it usually crops up in longer games, which are not the type of thing you want in a fast bug fixing path. (Also lack of devs who are willing/have eh time to look at it).
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 02:35:28 pm by i2amroy »
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10082 on: February 13, 2014, 02:25:08 pm »

I meant to start a fire in the fireplace but accidentally set fire to the wall of my base.

rabidgam3r

• Bay Watcher
  • bruh
    • View Profile
« Reply #10083 on: February 13, 2014, 02:31:51 pm »

I meant to start a fire to warm myself in a metal building, went to sleep in the other room and woke up on fire. And earlier, I had found lying around: Two plasma rifles, a railgun, a shitton of tools, a bicycle, and various things I needed very much.
Even if he hadn't brought the server down in a ball of flaming, slow-mo gibbing corgis

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10084 on: February 13, 2014, 02:37:01 pm »

Yeah, that but is one of the more difficult ones to fix because it usually crops up in longer games, which are not the type of thing you want in a fast bug fixing path. (Also lack of devs who are willing/have eh time to look at it).
Well if it helps any, it seems to have started right after the season changed to winter.  It was lightning storming when the season changed and it turned to thunder storm for, if I'm understanding this log right 110 ticks, then turned back into lightning storm and stuck there.

It's kind of a shame because I was hoping to experience winter weather for the first time.
--------
Fire is not your friend, do not taunt the fire.  Only use the fire in very controlled circumstances. DO not allow fire out of it's cage for any reason.  Fire extinguishers are your friend.  Not to be confused with fire distinguishers, which are trolls.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10085 on: February 13, 2014, 02:46:31 pm »

Never, ever start a fire inside a building unless it's contained in a Brazier, Wood Stove, or Stone Fireplace.

You can make a brazier out of sheet metal, which you can get from 's'mashing a stove. There's really no excuse.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10086 on: February 13, 2014, 02:54:35 pm »

So the spawn rates of wild animals got so ridiculos that when I got out of the shelter I got 4 letters on most of the directions (4 different kind of monsters). Then acid rain came. Now I have level 7 in survival, and have stopped hoarding bones.

At least I don't have to keep manually cleaning my yard from giant flies. For some time

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10087 on: February 13, 2014, 03:08:25 pm »

Spawn rates can be ridiculous if you have a base right outside of a swamp.  I once set up camp in a lab in a swamp.  After going to sleep for the night the outside was so clogged with bugs and giant frogs it was hard to go anywhere without being attacked by a whole bunch of things.

As for the fire, I was lucky enough to have a fire extinguisher downstairs, and it was raining at the time too.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #10088 on: February 13, 2014, 03:31:51 pm »

Never, ever start a fire inside a building unless it's contained in a Brazier, Wood Stove, or Stone Fireplace.

You can make a brazier out of sheet metal, which you can get from 's'mashing a stove. There's really no excuse.
New flaw needed: Pyromania - if player is carrying anything that may create fire (matches, lighter, flamethrower), fire will randomly be created.  As an excuse, of course. ^_^

I actually got lucky the first time I lit a fire in my shelter without putting it in brazier or pit; it didn't spread, and the worst I got was a nasty case of smoke inhalation, which was still enough to dissuade me from ever doing it again.  The real time I learned this was when I decided to handle a zombie horde by throwing a lit Molotov cocktail at it.  While it was moving around a gas station. 

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10089 on: February 13, 2014, 03:57:01 pm »

Might be a bit too scary if it did it randomly.  Maybe if it gave you a morale bonus when you light a fire.  And a permanant morale negative when yer not carrying something that can light a fire.

If you don't light something on fire for a few days you start getting a message about an urge now and then, maybe something like "You wonder what <flammable item in inventory or adjacent> would look like on fire." If you continue to ignore it then maybe something along the lines of "Your ironshod quarterstaff appears to have burst into flame!" with the random item in an adjacent tile, that tile on fire, and a charge taken from yer lighter.

Urist_McGamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10090 on: February 13, 2014, 04:25:59 pm »

Might be a bit too scary if it did it randomly.  Maybe if it gave you a morale bonus when you light a fire.  And a permanant morale negative when yer not carrying something that can light a fire.

If you don't light something on fire for a few days you start getting a message about an urge now and then, maybe something like "You wonder what <flammable item in inventory or adjacent> would look like on fire." If you continue to ignore it then maybe something along the lines of "Your ironshod quarterstaff appears to have burst into flame!" with the random item in an adjacent tile, that tile on fire, and a charge taken from yer lighter.

That would be too fun to be a serious flaw, I think. It still sounds like a good idea, though.
But others might prefer to have the mess contained behind windows to avoid tracking blood all over the their nice, color coordinated floor patterns. Kind of the Ozzy Osborne vs. Martha Stewart debate.

rabidgam3r

• Bay Watcher
  • bruh
    • View Profile
« Reply #10091 on: February 13, 2014, 04:28:26 pm »

Are goo canisters bugged? I found one in a street. When I released the blob, it went about murdering zombies, being taken down to the last tiny blob. When it was at that aforementioned last tiny blob, I tried to clean out a broken window so I could get into a gun store when Cataclysm closed.
Even if he hadn't brought the server down in a ball of flaming, slow-mo gibbing corgis

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #10092 on: February 13, 2014, 04:33:05 pm »

Are goo canisters bugged? I found one in a street. When I released the blob, it went about murdering zombies, being taken down to the last tiny blob. When it was at that aforementioned last tiny blob, I tried to clean out a broken window so I could get into a gun store when Cataclysm closed.
Not that I know of. Without a crash log its fairly difficult to determine the exact cause of the crash.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10093 on: February 13, 2014, 05:21:51 pm »

I found a recycler outside a hardware store.  How do I use it?

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10094 on: February 13, 2014, 05:24:53 pm »

Ooh, recyclers are really useful if you need lots of metal for car parts.

"D"irectional drop items into them and then "e"xamine them. They'll destroy metal items and turn them into scraps, chunks, or lumps. They'll also destroy non-metal items (which doesn't return anything) so they also work as trash dumps.
Pages: 1 ... 671 672 [673] 674 675 ... 1086