Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 670 671 [672] 673 674 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1860141 times)

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - Version 0.9 "Ma" released!
« Reply #10065 on: February 12, 2014, 09:39:27 pm »

I advise against ever dropping a weapon. The best way to carry really heavy things isn't to carry them but to drag them. Now of course you might not have a shopping cart or what have you but you can make a cupboard with a hammer, 3 2x4s, and 8 nails which is easy even with just starting blank in a shelter. Things like cupboards when you drag them around pick up stuff off the floor and you can store stuff in it.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10066 on: February 12, 2014, 09:51:25 pm »

In the past hour, I've lost two highly developed characters to zombears.  In one case I put my weapon down to carry a steel jerrycan; in the other, I put my weapon down to carry an RV kitchen unit.

Unwielding a weapon is fine, but if you don't have the storage to carry your weapon you need to make a trip back to your stash and clear enough space to stash the item without leaving your weapon behind. Also, as soon as you have the opportunity pick up a sawed off shotgun (regular or Rivetch) loaded with shot or slugs. A shotgun blast at point blank will put them down with one shot. Might call up a few nearby zombies, but they're much easier to take down than a bear.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10067 on: February 12, 2014, 11:24:45 pm »

Yeah it really was complacency on my part.  I can usually hack apart a zombear with a wood axe or a machete without too much difficulty if I'm not attacked by a bunch of things at once or in a lot of pain.

teoleo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10068 on: February 13, 2014, 05:07:48 am »

can add a message when i wiped out all the zombie in a zone in dynamic spawn?

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10069 on: February 13, 2014, 08:39:43 am »

So, I grabbed my faithful shopping cart and decided to go on a quest to look for either a lot fo glass jars, or a recipe to craft them (yes, I am a hoarder). And after realizing that there is forest or rivers on every corner of my map, I decided to go through the less-forested area. And I found a lab!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The good thing is, now I have plenty of glass jars, that for some reason were there. The bas thing is, my shopping cart if full.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10070 on: February 13, 2014, 11:17:10 am »

Once you have a little mechanics skill, replace the wire basket on the cart with a trunk. 650 volume storage baby!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10071 on: February 13, 2014, 11:26:47 am »

kk, so urban Fun base ideas?  I tried setting up in a police station but sleeping/reading meant a dynamic hoard popping up.  annoying.

Garages and hardware stores a favorite so far.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10072 on: February 13, 2014, 11:35:38 am »

I like to set up in the mansion-esque houses in the city. It's not easy keeping all the zombies out, but that's what makes it fun. A statement of your supremacy over the undead hoards!

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10073 on: February 13, 2014, 11:39:10 am »

Once you have a little mechanics skill, replace the wire basket on the cart with a trunk. 650 volume storage baby!
Will do. So many flasks. SO MANY

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10074 on: February 13, 2014, 12:11:49 pm »

How exactly do minifridges work?  I stuck some meat in there and turned it on, after about half a day I saw that my solar farm isn't powerful enough to keep it on forever so I shut it off.

Now though it seems the meat in the fridge isn't rotting, it's been three days, and unless something changed I know meat only lasts for one.  Does the minifridge impart some of it's coldness to the objects that need to decay off first before it starts rotting (which I figure would be the more realistic way) or is it supposed to stop preserving immediately?
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10075 on: February 13, 2014, 12:24:54 pm »

All the wiki says is that a minifridge, if powered, will keep fresh food preserved for longer.

rabidgam3r

• Bay Watcher
  • bruh
    • View Profile
« Reply #10076 on: February 13, 2014, 12:38:36 pm »

What am I doing wrong with my characters?
Should I be building them for crafting skills first, weapon skills later or vice versa?
Even if he hadn't brought the server down in a ball of flaming, slow-mo gibbing corgis

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #10077 on: February 13, 2014, 12:44:52 pm »

Should I be building them for crafting skills first, weapon skills later or vice versa?

It's generally easier to gain the former if you can survive, thus necessitating the latter. Though I manage without them somehow, usually.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10078 on: February 13, 2014, 12:51:51 pm »

I currently use a 6point shower victim, heavily weighed for sleep deprivation.  Defauts traits > default stats >  default equipment > default skills.  imo.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10079 on: February 13, 2014, 01:39:44 pm »

Crafting skills don't matter too much the first few days because you can simply find most of what you need to get by.  Roam the wilderness for food and the gear dropped by dead bodies.

Starting out it helps if you can find a sturdy melee weapon like a pipe or baseball bat, and gain a level or two on dodge and melee skills.  Get a nail bat or a machete early on and you're in a good place.
Pages: 1 ... 670 671 [672] 673 674 ... 1086