Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13

Author Topic: The Space Race II (Forum Game)  (Read 14440 times)

akkudakku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Space Race II (Forum Game)
« Reply #60 on: January 07, 2013, 04:56:10 pm »

I do hope this doesn't die... If people don't write their rounds just skip them GM, please.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 07, 2013, 05:01:23 pm »

Turn 1 : 1946-1947

Solar storms hit the Earth, resulting in many emaculate sightings of Aurorae near the Poles. It doesn't bode so well for spaceflight though, as these flares could be very dangerous to probes and manned spaceflight alike. However, considering the current incapacity of most spaceprograms to prevent their rockets from exploding on the launchpad, this isn't going to be a great problem for a long time.

County relations:
                  Australia      Japan        Poland       Greece      Scotland       Nicuaraga            France
Australia      Neutral        Neutral     Neutral       Neutral       Neutral          Neutral             Neutral
Japan          Neutral        Neutral     Neutral       Neutral       Neutral          Neutral             Neutral
Poland         Neutral        Neutral     Neutral       Neutral       Neutral          Neutral             Neutral
Greece         Neutral        Neutral     Neutral       Neutral       Neutral         Neutral              Neutral
Scotland      Neutral        Neutral     Neutral       Neutral       Neutral          Neutral             Neutral
Nicuaraga    Neutral        Neutral     Neutral       Neutral       Neutral          Neutral             Neutral
France         Neutral        Neutral     Neutral       Neutral       Neutral          Neutral             Neutral

SPACE

Research:
Lab 1: Improve the reliability of the small thruster (-$1000) The work is a succes. Thruster failure rates have dropped with about 10%
Research costs: $1000

Design:
None this year.

Construction:
Upgrade the lab to get +1 action (-$5000)
Construction costs: $5000

Total cost: $6000

NASA (Japan)

Research
Improve the thrusters, more thrust, with the scientist in the lab.-1000 Significant improvements in rocket thrust have been made, sir.

If I can still do research in my office like in the last game, research solar panelsWork on solar pannels progresses swiftly, though they are rather heavy.

Building
Upgrade the lab with an extra floor.-5000

Expenses: 7000 (Personnal lab research isn't free this time, I'm afraid.)

It has officially begun. I had to improve the science facilities fast, either by replacing the logarithmic rulers with some mechanical computers or by just expanding the buildings and hiring more people. I had my men begin ground tests of our simple engine design, we need to find flaws in the design now, I don't want the officials to watch a huge fireball on our first launch.
I myself started designing a simple mechanical flight control, you can always hope that your rocket will fly straight up if you have it perfectly built. But real world works differently and adding gyroscopes, winglets and the sort costs considerably less than returns from scrap metal after your rocket crashes.
The research and equipment will eat a big part of the funding that we've got, but  if we don't have theory right, then we can just as well build a huge catapult and hope that would work.
The field is new and it would be great to have other teams to share experience with, but it looks like the USSR is not interested, strange indeed. I can only hope that state will allow me to contact my acquaintances in UK and find help there.

Turn:
Research:
Lab: Improve the small thrusters (-1000$) Some work has gone into general safety of the thrusters
Myself: Mechanical flight control system (Ascent guidance controller) (-1000$ [OOC: If its a free action even better!]) Work on this system goes slowly, but progresses. Currently it weights far to much to be useable, but soon we'll shafe of most of that weight.

Design:
None

Construction:
Buy computing equipment for the lab, if impossible expand the lab (-5000$)Lab upgraded with general research bonus.

Totals: -7000$ [If research by me is free then 6000$]
Cash after turn: 3000$ [If research by me is free then 4000$]

Others: Because of my work in the UK during the war im interested in pulling some strings internationally and getting mutual agreement with HAGGIS.The GM will not intervene with player negotiations. ((Unless I really need to, and I'd rather don't))

PSI

1/1/46
I saw the new headquarters for the first time today. I seem to recall that the building that used to stand there was flattened during the occupation. Irony is eternal.
   Anyway, things seem to be going well so far. I have already examined the German rocket, and it is a true fountain of knowledge. I hope to soon understand the principle design of its engines, and my team is already dismantling the chassis. I do hope that a spirit of international cooperation will flourish, and that we need not re-invent too many wheels. To this end, I will offer to rent my state-of the art control center, in the hope that no disasters mar the birth of space-flight.- A.U.

Research-

Lab-reverse engineer engines(-1000) Work on the reverse engineering of the engines progresses rapidly. We have worked out all major kinks in the system. However, for further improvement, we will need more funds. (Further medium engine research costs 2000 rather than 1000)*

Construction upgrade control center for safety(-5000)

total expense(-6000)

*Nat 100, grats.

HAGGIS

It was a good day. Haggis-Bob had just arrived on his new job. The chiefs office at H.A.G.G.I.S.. He had just seen how primitive it currently was, compared to his dreams for Scotland. He wished to plant a kilt-on-a-pole on Luna. And with this crap nothing can be done. Haggis-Bob stormed over to the german thruster scientists office, and shouted "We need more stable thrusters! Can't have the rocket explode before it even takes off! We'll never get the kilt to the moon without it!!!", then went over to his office to make a letter. He wanted to improve relations with the FIEE, as the French could be brilliant minds sometimes. And allies could always be good in hard times...

Turn:

Research:
Lab 1: Research "Stable Small Thrusters" (-$1000) Research on stabilizing the small thrusters goes slowly.
Research costs: $1000

Design:
None

Construction:
Bigger, better, lab. (+1 research action, -$5000)
Construction costs: $5000

Other:
Try to become better friends with the FIEE (If possibru)GM does not interfere with Interplayer diplomacy.

Summary: +1 research action, -$6000

SMF Turn

Research:improve small thruster reliability(-1000)  The project progresses but slowly
Me:research larger thrusters(-1000) Work on the larger thrusters speeds forward

Design:none

Construction:Buy/install better lab equipment(-5000)

Summary:-7000

FIEE

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Mr. Marceau enthusiastically greeted the morning of January 1st, 1946. His grant money had been successfully processed yesterday, and the tour of the nearly finished facilities the week before had gone well enough, if a bit disappointingly. It wasn't nearly what he was used to at Boeing, but the rushed construction job was all he could have realistically expected in a barely recovering France.

He thought back to the brainstorming session with his team. A few ideas had been discussed: Being the first to orbit the planet, developing superior engines or hulls and selling them to other space programs, or even getting someone into space, alive. The idea that most intrigued him was some sort of long-ranged radio transmitter. The sooner FIEE became financially viable of its own accord, the better.

Research:
1st floor: (Chassis Scientist) Lighten the single stage hull (-$1000) Work here progresses marvelously.

Design:
None.

Construction:
Laboratory expansion (-$5000)
(If buisnessman, laboratory expansion II for -$10,000)

Other:
FIEE will, within five years, launch into space an object capable of sending radio signals down to Earth. The governement finds your designs quite promising, and grants you some extra funds. It's but a meager reward through. (+7 prestige)
Look for someone (NPC) to lease laboratory space to on a two-year contract over the next two turns. (Non-binding, I might lease to another space agency instead.) ((Someone is willing to lease a single labratory space to you for 2500 a year. Obviously a ripoff))

Total expenses:
$7000
($16,000 if businessman)

MARYLAND (Sorry, missed your turn till it was to late. Will do it later.)

Turn:
Research: Communications relay for conveying ground to space to ground messages between Earth and Orbit. Work on the communication sattelite progresses slowly.

MARYLAND is interested in purchasing blueprints for a more stable thruster from another space agency.  We will watch their research with interest.

Turn summery: research -1000.

Patrick O'Connor walked the factory floor where the men and women were still busy at work making bombers.  That would keep the place open for now but it wouldn't last for much longer.  He was scoping the place out for a different kind of manufacturing.  He liked what he saw and met the Glenn Martin representative outside to tender an offer.  The man was happy for the little that Patrick offered but wondering what this whole startup Patrick was organizing was about.  "Y'all planning to start another war or something like that?"  Patrick just shrugged "Yeah, something like that.  So it's agreed then, January 1st 1947 this place changes hands."  Inside the gears in Patrick's head were already turning, he had big plans for this factory.
[/quote]

Promises

FIEE: Radio transmittor by the end of 1951

Player name: Peter Fletcher
Archetype: Lobbyist
Funds: 5,000 (+1000)
Prestige: 0
Organisation Name: SPACE: Space Projects for Australian Commerce and Exploration (yes I know it's a recursive acronym)
Motto: Ad astra per ardua
Nation: Australia
Spoiler: Researched Components (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Designs (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Assets (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Special people (click to show/hide)

Player Name: Samuel Wells
Archetype: Scientist
Funds:4,000 (+1000)
Organisation: NASA (I can't think up a better name.)
Motto: Lets screw with history
Nation: Japan (Bet you didn't expect that)

Spoiler:  Assets (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Special (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Optional (click to show/hide)

Player name: Aleksander Sołtyk
Funds: 4.000 (+1000)
Organisation Name: P.C.I.S. (Poland CAN into Space)
Motto: Show the world what we can do.
Nation: Republic of Poland
Spoiler: Researched components (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Specials (click to show/hide)

Player name: Apostolos Urian
Funds: 5.000 (+1000)
Organisation Name: PSI(Preeminent Space Investigation)
      -Motto: Fly Higher, Fly Faster
      -Nation: Greece

Spoiler: -Researched components (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: -Designs (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: -Assets (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: -Special people (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: -Special thingy: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Optional: (click to show/hide)

Player name: Haggis-Bob The Bearded
Funds: 5.000 (+1000)
Prestige: 0
Organisation Name: H.A.G.G.I.S. (Heaven's Awesome Gentlemens' Great Intelligence Society)
      -Motto: Up, up, and away! And back!
      -Nation: Scotland!

Spoiler: Special Stuff (click to show/hide)

Player name:Javier
Archetype:scientist
Funds: 4.000
Organization: S.M.F.(supermagicalfuntime)
      -Motto: No one builds 'em better than us!
      -Nation: Nicaragua
      -
Spoiler: Researched components (click to show/hide)
       -
       -

-

Player name: Medoro Marceau
Archetype: Bussinesman
Funds: 5.870(+1870)
Prestige:7
Organisation Name: French Institute for Extraterrestrial Exploitation (FIEE)
      -Motto: Étendre l'influence de l'humanité (Expanding humanity's influence)
      -Nation: France

Initial bonus: Expert Chassis scientist (+40)
[/spoiler]

Player name: Patrick FitzConnor
Archetype: Businessman
Funds: 20.100(+1100)
Prestige:0
Organisation Name: Making Aeronautic Research Yield Lasting And New Development (MARYLAND)
      -Motto: Large Rockets, Gentle Words
      -Nation: US/Maryland

Spoiler: Special Assets (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 12:44:15 pm by 10ebbor10 »

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 07, 2013, 05:04:10 pm »

I do hope this doesn't die... If people don't write their rounds just skip them GM, please.
Update within 5 minutes. Has to be a record.

To be fair ,it isn't finished completely. Maryland's turn hasn't been rolled.

racnor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 07, 2013, 05:07:27 pm »

er.. the research i got a natural 100 on was the one that i removed when I switched to lobbyist.
Compromise position: Turn the mother bear, train the babies to use pyromancy and then eat Alice.
Right, the !!☼ARMCHAIR☼!!. I forgot.

SoHowAreYou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Game
« Reply #64 on: January 07, 2013, 05:25:27 pm »

Before I put up my turn I would like to know if anyone would be interested in receiving help going into space, you can go into space first chronologically, because we could theoretically get off the ground faster.
Starting marching band will not be able to post everyday.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 07, 2013, 05:39:38 pm »

How light are my hulls?

Look for someone (NPC) to lease laboratory space to on a two-year contract over the next two turns. (Non-binding, I might lease to another space agency instead.) ((Someone is willing to lease a single labratory space to you for 2500 a year. Obviously a ripoff))
(I was looking for NPCs willing to give me money, but there's a chance I won't be needing it with my new prestige, so nevermind.)

racnor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 07, 2013, 06:09:23 pm »

er.. the research i got a natural 100 on was the one that i removed when I switched to lobbyist.
on second thought, if I can keep the 100, Ill just drop the chassis and keep the engine stuff.
Compromise position: Turn the mother bear, train the babies to use pyromancy and then eat Alice.
Right, the !!☼ARMCHAIR☼!!. I forgot.

RulerOfNothing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 07, 2013, 09:21:54 pm »

Seeing as my turn report appears to be complete I am going to put up my turn:

Peter was sitting in his office carefully considering the events of the past year. The extension of the SPACE labs had been completed, so now he could get his electronics expert to work on an orbiting radio transmitter while the other team worked on improving the engines further. The first project was quite important as the French had stated their intention to launch a radio transmitter satellite within 5 years, and Peter believed that if he could launch first, SPACE would get considerable prestige. With this in mind, he started to dictate a press release to his secretary.

Research:
Lab 1 will continue to improve the small thruster's reliability. (-$1000)
Lab 2 will develop a radio transmitter satellite with the help of the Electronics Expert (-$1000)
Research cost: $2000

Design:
Arrow I:
9m single stage hull (675kg)
Small thruster: 1m, 100kg
7 x Small fuel tank: 7m, 875kg standard fuel
1m free space
Height: 9m
Weight: 1650kg
Thrust: 1750kg to LEO
Payload: 100kg to LEO, 159kg to stable LEO
Design cost: $2000 + cost of Arrow I

Other:
Announce that SPACE will launch a radio transmitter into orbit within 4 years.

Total cost: $4000 + cost of Arrow I
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 08:14:55 pm by RulerOfNothing »

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 07, 2013, 11:15:05 pm »

Niror Torir, if you are still interested in financial backing I'd be willing to cover 75% of the costs of your chasis research if you share it with me.  This would apply retroactively to the research investment you've already made.  I'm not offering to cover your facilities costs however.

I'm also interested in funding someone's thruster research but there are several people researching thrusters so I don't know who to approach.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Donuts

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 08, 2013, 01:22:15 am »

Not satisfying, those better thrusters were really needed. Bob told his German thruster scientist that he really needed those thrusters, and began ranting about the importance of good thrusters.
He then went to the new lab, and ranted about sattelites. He then went to his office and made a letter for the FIEE. He then prepared for a press conference.

Research:
First floor: Continue Operation "Stable Small Thrusters" (-1000) (*insert German Scientist here*)
Second floor: Radio Transmission Sattelite. (-1000)

Design:
None.

Construction:
Nope.

Other:
Press conference. Use the magnificent amount of 1000 credits to fund this. (Make it really conveniently placed in the middle of a city and stuff so the press doesn't get lost as in last game :P)
Message for the FIEE: We will gladly provide you with some improved thrusters, but we need a better hull. Think you can provide that, by chance?
Total expenses:
-3000 (1000 press conference, 2000 research)
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 01:05:31 am by Donuts »
"Oh shit, they've got a slogan! It means they're serious!"

akkudakku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 08, 2013, 07:07:25 am »

PCIS Turn 2

Work was progressing slowly, but surely. The Mechanical Guidance System project ended in a workable if heavy prototype, I will have to improve on that, remove some redundancy and find better materials. The engine tests went well and without a accident, thank God for that. Our computing equipment was just shipped, this will lower the workload immensly.
I ordered the men to continue working on the engine project, this time on the engine as a whole - efficiency, safety, materials. The failures in the design are still hapenning too often, but if this round of improvements will bring us ~35% safety ratio... Then empirical tests of whole rocket assembly will begin.
I went back to reading publications about light materials, this guidance system needs to drop some weight.

I had tought about designing a rocket with the components we have now, we can always refurbish the prototype with newer parts if needed. Having a simple rocket built will back my plan to announce a test launch in coming years. Maybe we will even get some better funding?
I heard news that French already announced a launch of a radio satelite. A bold move indeed.

I started negotiations with FIEE about technology trade. They grinded to a stalemate, maybe after some more time we will come to a agreement.

I was contacted by a MARYLAND representative. They are willing to fund 50% of our thruster research in exchange for researched technology, I promptly agreed.

Research:
Me: Mechanical Guidance System (-1000$)
Lab: Engine, all aspects (-1000$)

Design:
AS-1
Height: 9m - plating weight - 675kg
Fuel tanks: 7m - 875kg
Thruster: Small - 1m - weight 100kg - 1750kg thrust
Equipment: Mechanical Guidance System - 1m - 212kg
Total mass: 1862kg
LEO: -112kg
Won't fly yet but after upgrades it will.
Cost: -2000$

Trade: Send full results of thruster research to MARYLAND, take in 1000$ funds (500$ retroactively, 500$ for this round of research).

Totals: -3000$
After turn: 1000$

Promise: PCIS announces that it will test-launch a rocket with its marvelous guidance system in next 3 years.

OOC: Congratulations on that nat100 racnor, also no cases of acute explotitis - all seems well :-)
How much does upgrading a built rocket cost? Corresponding parts cost?
The guidance controller is 1m high part as I understand.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 11:58:49 am by akkudakku »

ansontan2000

• Bay Watcher
  • I am a Poro. Fear me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 08, 2013, 09:17:55 am »

Player name: John MacJohn
Funds: 10.000
Organisation Name: NZSP (New Zealand Space Program)
      -Motto: Taking Kiwis into Space
      -Nation: New Zealand
      -Researched components
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

-Designs
             -None at the moment
       -Assets
             - Small labs
             -Small launchpad
             -Small Mission Control
              -Small manufacturing and design factory     
-Special people
             -None yet
       -Special thingy:
             -German Scientist

When a soldier makes a mistake, one man dies.
When a captain makes a mistake, a dozen men die.
When a commander makes a mistake, a thousand men die.
When an emperor makes a mistake, well, there is a game save for retry.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 08, 2013, 12:49:04 pm »

I should have finished and fixed the turn.

@ Ansontan. Sorry, but there are already 8 players.

SoHowAreYou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Game
« Reply #73 on: January 08, 2013, 10:35:07 pm »

I'll post tomorrow I need a laptop to do it, Ebbor if you send me a pm to remind me it would be appreciated.
Starting marching band will not be able to post everyday.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 09, 2013, 02:37:20 pm »

Turn:
Research: Miniaturize our communications relay.

Trade: Buy thruster research from PCIS, 500 for previous, 500 for new.

Turn summery: total -7000; research -1000, construction -5000, trade -1000
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 12:20:32 pm by mainiac »
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13