Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Euld's De-Motivated and Easily Distracted 3D modeling thread  (Read 3728 times)

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
Re: First five 3D modeling ideas win
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2013, 02:38:50 am »

Can you change the texture to a smooth metal one, then? :-0 It'd look prettier.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2013, 07:25:05 pm »

Well that was an unproductive two days of selfish brooding ._.  It's like I forgot how to take criticism all of a sudden.  *ahem* Anyway...

Maya is currently messing up my rendering, everything is coming out stretched.  But I did try a new gold texture that's a lot smoother.  It's not... perfect.  I think we both know what it should look like, Skyrunner, but I suspect I'd have to use digital painting skills I don't have to actually make it good. I'll post what I have, but once again, the rendering is coming out messed up. da fuq it's not stretched now that it's on imgur o_o  But it's... stretched when I look at it on my computer?

edit: let me say, no you didn't offend me, Skyrunner, I guess I just have a very thin skin when it comes to my modeling and texturing.  I'm not going to stay that way though.  heap on the criticism, i say!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 07:27:49 pm by Euld »

Robocorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2013, 09:07:48 pm »

Hey man, nice reflection map. It was harder to see on the other texture.
Minor nitpick. Are the polygons of the outer part of the big gear on the same smoothing group?
They seem to have a whole bunch of little seams along the perimeter. Easy fix though, right?

Keep on keeping on.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2013, 09:22:07 pm »

I'm still wondering how you managed to make it look so perfectly identical xD It's like you plucked the model from the image.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Euld

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2013, 06:40:42 pm »

A gajillion years later:

Thanks! ^_^  I pride myself on being able to eye the proportions of things and be able to reproduce them well.  It was definitely a learned skill.  So here's a quote from myself on a different thread concerning my 3D modeling skills:

Lol it's fine XD  It's from my 2nd Maya class ever, so it's not going to be industry quality.  There's probably five other things I'd have to do to it that I won't even learn about until maybe six months down the road  :P

I can now confidently say I know more about those "five other things" I need to know to make something good.  The following is my final for my texturing class.  I'm not 100% satisfied, but it's definitely light years beyond where I was before.

edit: i'll be finishing up my finals over the next few days.  I think I can get back to the requests not long after that :D

edit edit:
Hey man, nice reflection map. It was harder to see on the other texture.
Minor nitpick. Are the polygons of the outer part of the big gear on the same smoothing group?
They seem to have a whole bunch of little seams along the perimeter. Easy fix though, right?

Yep, very easy fix and quite an amateurish mistake of me to make, putting the seams in plain sight.  Maybe I should give that model another pass now that I have a better idea of what I'm doing.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 01:16:48 am by Euld »

Euld

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Euld's De-Motivated and Easily Distracted 3D modeling thread
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2013, 05:13:52 pm »

Finally got around to that top hat.  Took longer than it should have because I tried to find a good texture for it... sadly couldn't find any decent resolution ones :/

http://i.imgur.com/XC91bvI.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Q2vuijR.jpg

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2013, 07:40:57 pm »

I usually don't bother with textures and materials, since the package I use really isn't made for that.

Otherwise, I like to build the same kinds of models that you do, apparently. :D

Seeing this thread made me think about an old project I did some time ago.. 3 years in fact.. trying to load it now after 2 minor revisions of the cad seat is making my 8 core xeon workstation crap its pants though. I may have to export it when I get home to save it.

It's a moonplant flower. (The psychotropic kind) curly petals and all. PITA to make. Did it to practice complex surfacing operations.

The file itself is 32mb in size, if that is any indication. :D

I might upload a old pic of it later.

You don't know a good place to host IGES files do you? That's the best export format I can get from CATIA for Maya.

I could share the horrifically ugly mannequin I built out of splines and curves. LOL.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 07:46:38 pm by wierd »

Euld

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2013, 09:27:09 pm »

I've heard rumors about a website that you can upload a 3D modeling file to that allows people to view your model, rotate and zoom around it, but can't recall the name.

32 megs, yikes :P that must be some really neat detail though.  My focus is in games, so we have to be uber stingy with our poly counts.  I bet some games get away with 50-100 poly top hats 'cause they know they won't be looked at close up.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2013, 10:05:29 pm »

I managed to get the file updated! Yay!

I threw on some quick and dirty materials, so it has some color.

The stamens and pistle go all the way inside, and the whole flower is a 3d volume; the petals DO have thickness.

For comparison, here is an actual moonflower datura

Now, for something... HORRIBLE! An armless mannequinn I started on as additional exercise in advanced surface generation. (And damn, is it ugly!) It has empty eye sockets too. Creepy!
(Note, think "doctor who, invasion of the autons" for this guy. My software *really* isn't designed for this. I had to freehand produce beizer curves to approximate the curves of a human head, in sections.)

Front

3/4 top down

Back

His ears are very non-human, and "injection mold robot head" in appearance, because I didn't feel like making proper ears for it. Building a good general shape for the cranio-fascial features was hard enough, and I fubared the nose and mouth unbelivably.

In my defence, I don't have "sculpting" tools, and had to make very complex nurbs patches to get that, using only hand drawn wires and imposed tangencies. PITA.

« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 10:34:55 pm by wierd »

Berserker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2013, 01:30:11 am »

I've heard rumors about a website that you can upload a 3D modeling file to that allows people to view your model, rotate and zoom around it, but can't recall the name.

sketchfab.com and p3d.in can do that.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2013, 12:34:34 am »

Here's something I quickly did in about five days of haphazardly blundering my way through Blender's various tools and interfaces.

I did it as a volunteer job on blenderartists.org just to see if I could actually finish something if somebody was expecting me to finish it. I'm not really happy with it, but I'm not especially ashamed either.

And here's the reference the guy gave me:

Having to render in a variety of formats and sizes did help me learn about the render options, and getting the effect on the globe was quite an achievement for me. That said, I don't think I'd be able to make something of similar quality just freehand of my own conception.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 12:39:02 am by itisnotlogical »
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2013, 01:42:20 am »

I actually built a "geographically accurate" earth once, using this map, a copy of PStoEDIT, and my nurbs modeling software.

Basically, I did a reverse projection back ONTO a sphere, using a digitally assembled icosahedron with the vector data from that pdf converted to DXF for import. I needed a vector earth to make a poster my employer wanted, and couldn't find suitable free samples, so I had to make my own.

It was a bear to make too. :D

Euld

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2013, 11:39:09 am »

I actually built a "geographically accurate" earth once, using this map, a copy of PStoEDIT, and my nurbs modeling software.
Aw I can't seem to get your PDF link to work for me.  I'm on a Mac at work though, that could be why.  Also DAAAAAAMN how accurate and how large was your Earth?  I've never worked with nurbs, I've only worked with polygons 'cause I figured nurbs were fairly useless.  For my line of work anyway.

Here's something I quickly did in about five days of haphazardly blundering my way through Blender's various tools and interfaces.

And here's the reference the guy gave me:

That's really neat! :D  You put a lot of attention to detail and getting the material and lighting to work right, I had to look close to realize the few differences.  Nicely done.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2013, 01:08:44 pm »

The map is a gnomic projection icosahedal map. Basically, what you get if you project edges of landmasses onto an icosahedron places inside the sphere, using normal vectors, then unfolding the icosahedron.

The PDF is vectorial, (not a raster wrapped in a pdf. I hate those.) Meaning it is made of 2d line data, and can be enlarged without losing precision. I converted that vector data into a DXF, imported that into my CAD software, and "folded" the icosahedron. Then I projected the the 2d vector data from each facet onto a section of a sherical volume I had created.

The size of the sphere was about 10 inch diameter, because of limitations of the cad software. (On a joke, I tried creating a earth sized sphere once. It brough my 8 core system to its knees, and consumed 12gb of memory before windows force-closed it on a 64bit engineering workstation. Earth sized model just isn't gonna happen.)

I used the isometric projection feature of the drafting workbench to get a 2d lineart rendering of the spherical "earth", saved that as an svg, and brought it into inkscape for poster making purposes. My employer was happy with the result, but unhappy at the time it took me to make. (Hey, they wanted a globe, and didn't want to pay for stock models, so they paid more in terms of my paycheck to make them one instead. :D )

I could replicate the work sometime I suppose. I would LOVE to get an ocosahedral gnomic projection topology map that is vectoral! I could produce a geologically accurate earth from one of those!

Sasdly, those are almost always raster images, and never the right projection. :(

Euld

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2013, 04:04:36 pm »

I made a truck!

Around 5000 tris for a prototype game.  Looking at it now, I think I need some more details in places but that kind of thing is hard to judge sometimes.  But hey I finished a decent looking vehicle in around 4 hours.  Last time I tried to make a vehicle, it took me 2-3 weeks and looked bad, so it's good to know I'm getting a lot better at this kind of stuff.
Pages: 1 [2] 3