Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Euld's De-Motivated and Easily Distracted 3D modeling thread  (Read 3723 times)

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
Euld's De-Motivated and Easily Distracted 3D modeling thread
« on: January 01, 2013, 06:31:51 am »

edit 4.24.2013:  Posted the top hat!  Also I'm more comfortable with larger environments now (i.e. could do a city street, or a hallway plus rooms with decorations).

School starts on monday for me, and I need some ideas to help polish up my 3D modeling before school begins again.  So, my goal is to model out a total five ideas, the first five that end up posted in this thread.  I do have a few restrictions:

1. No characters/organic models, at the moment I easily take a month to do a passable character of the organic persuasion.

2. I personally prefer inanimate objects like weapons, vehicles, and medium-ish environments.

3. If your idea is based on something else, by all means post the related picture.  More information and details means more fun for modeling :)
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 05:16:54 pm by Euld »

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
Re: First five 3D modeling ideas win
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2013, 07:02:08 am »

A shiny bevel gear! Made out of gold. Though I think textures != models.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2013, 07:03:38 am »

A top hat

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2013, 07:10:40 am »

A ceremonial, sacrificial, tribal looking dagger, preferably curved.
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2013, 07:15:14 am »

Muscle car, as agressive as possible while not looking ridicilous, make it red (go faster) and shiny (shiny) wheels and that non essential stuff doesn't need to be detailed or textured or anything, just make it aggressive, RAWR.

Edit:
« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 07:20:45 am by Jopax »
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2013, 07:41:11 am »

Hey I'm trying to put together an online game which will eventually have a simcity-style thing going (i'm working on the php & database side of things), I could definitely use a few basic buildings in isometric projection.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2013, 07:45:31 am »

...But how do 3D models have isometric projection? D:

"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2013, 08:10:24 am »

You model them, then set the camera at the right view, of course

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2013, 08:42:47 am »

You model them, then set the camera at the right view, of course
That's like making a 3D movie to then display it in 2D black and white.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2013, 08:44:32 am »

It's how Sim City 4 did it.

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2013, 09:54:17 am »

A catapult

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2013, 11:45:12 am »

I know it's to late, but how about a Mars Base/ ship

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2013, 01:30:04 pm »

A modular spacecraft or weapon using 3D-layers to swap between them (sorta like your own variation of Borderlands weapon generation).

You can also attempt a 3D-interpretation of 2D images like the ships of FTL or something.

Euld

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2013, 03:12:25 pm »

I asked, and Bay12 delivered  :o  I'll get started today.  That bevel gear looks delicious.

Hey I'm trying to put together an online game which will eventually have a simcity-style thing going (i'm working on the php & database side of things), I could definitely use a few basic buildings in isometric projection.

Sure, I'd love to help.  I need some more information though on how this is going to work.  Do you need exports of the models themselves, or are you looking for renders/screenshots with the camera set at a 45-degree angle?  Also, any pictures/concept art of what you're looking for helps quite a bit.  That way I can be 100% sure that I'm making it exactly the way you want it :)

A catapult
Catapults can be done in a lot of different ways, could you post some pictures of what you want your catapult to look like? :)

I know it's to late, but how about a Mars Base/ ship
I'll gladly take on more requests if I'm quick enough.  Could you post some pictures of what you have in mind?

A modular spacecraft or weapon using 3D-layers to swap between them (sorta like your own variation of Borderlands weapon generation).

You can also attempt a 3D-interpretation of 2D images like the ships of FTL or something.
I think I'll go with the ships from FTL.  The modular spacecraft/weapon would take a lot of planning, any modular work takes a lot of planning and trial and error.  But.  Ahhh.  I hate to refuse.  I'll keep the modular spaceship/weapon in mind as I work on the other stuff.

Euld

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2013, 02:30:31 am »

'Tis done, Skyrunner!

Decided to texture it as requested, although my texturing skills still need some more work.  I had to rely on a free texture site my school uses, and it occurs to me now that if gold was used in gears like those, it wouldn't look quite like this.  But still.  It was fun to make :D
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pages: [1] 2 3