Poll

Should we mod the new world?

No
- 121 (60.5%)
Yes
- 79 (39.5%)

Total Members Voted: 200

Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 74

Author Topic: DF2014: The Succession World! At Long Last!  (Read 109575 times)

DVNO

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF2014: The Succession World!
« Reply #765 on: January 01, 2014, 09:14:33 pm »

Crushing occupying goblins with a bullet cart like bugs on a windshield?

Things are finally getti'n interestin'!
Al mondo mal non e senza rimedio

Reach me via Bitmessage ~ BM-2DC7sWixk2iSKThdX9thhyrxWBeWRXUEv9

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #766 on: January 02, 2014, 02:20:30 am »

Why not set up impulse ramps at each edge of the embarks, which would accelerate the minecarts to jumping the track, coming to rest on the next set of tracks , the next embark over?  Each embark square is 48 fortress squares wide.  So long as you can make a jump arc reaching its highest point 25 fortress squares horizontal to the initial jump ramp, an an adventurer riding a minecart will be able to traverse the remaining 25 fortress squares and be re-captured by tracks 2 embark squares away.  Wash, rinse, repeat and you'll give armies and other traveling types enough ground to journey across while also having a set of contiguous tracks cutting perpendicularly to that flow.
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

DVNO

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #767 on: January 02, 2014, 03:43:05 am »

mind = blown
Al mondo mal non e senza rimedio

Reach me via Bitmessage ~ BM-2DC7sWixk2iSKThdX9thhyrxWBeWRXUEv9

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #768 on: January 02, 2014, 03:49:11 am »

...Except in the extra areas created by building upwards won't be preserved between sites.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Yuli Vlasi

• Bay Watcher
  • Eggs is Doom
    • View Profile
« Reply #769 on: January 02, 2014, 07:17:49 am »

Why not set up impulse ramps at each edge of the embarks, which would accelerate the minecarts to jumping the track, coming to rest on the next set of tracks , the next embark over?  Each embark square is 48 fortress squares wide.  So long as you can make a jump arc reaching its highest point 25 fortress squares horizontal to the initial jump ramp, an an adventurer riding a minecart will be able to traverse the remaining 25 fortress squares and be re-captured by tracks 2 embark squares away.  Wash, rinse, repeat and you'll give armies and other traveling types enough ground to journey across while also having a set of contiguous tracks cutting perpendicularly to that flow.
Until I read this I thought it would be impossible to build rollercoasters out of multiple fortresses because you aren't allowed to build at the very edge of the map.
Now I have hope.
...Except in the extra areas created by building upwards won't be preserved between sites.
I don't understand that. Please explain.
Take command. Lead your men. Hide in booze stockpile. Weep, and everyone weeps with you.
Maybe we could export Yuli: "Succession fortress too stable? Too boring? Just get our Yuli VlasiTM!"

Ruhn

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #770 on: January 02, 2014, 09:17:26 am »

It might be in reference to something I read about sky levels only being 'created' when a construction is built in it (dwarven space program?).
SCIENCE would be wise before building too many of this kind of jump.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #771 on: January 02, 2014, 02:04:02 pm »

I imagine trees are going to become a serious obstacle to this kind of jump, and neither of the two fortresses on each side of the gap will be able to see the trees in the gap, or do anything about them. For all you'll know, you're going to be launching adventurers right into the trunk of a great oak tree at 75kph.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
  • Souls are tasty. Kinda like bacon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #772 on: January 02, 2014, 03:11:21 pm »

For all you'll know, you're going to be launching adventurers right into the trunk of a great oak tree at 75kph.
I don't see the problem. If we set up two fortresses two sides away from the gap, we should be capable of creating a device that will flood one end of the gap with lava and the other end with water, obsidianizing the gap, not stopping armies from crossing the area.

EDIT: Here's a visual representation:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 03:28:21 pm by Dwarf4Explosives »
And yet another bit of proof that RNG is toying with us. We do 1984, it does animal farm
...why do your hydras have two more heads than mine? 
Does that mean male hydras... oh god dammit.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #773 on: January 02, 2014, 03:40:39 pm »

But those trees would still be as tall as ever, and even if you obsidianized them all the way to the top, there'd still only be one z-level above them, not enough to make a jump and it would be too long to coast over.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #774 on: January 02, 2014, 03:54:23 pm »

But those trees would still be as tall as ever, and even if you obsidianized them all the way to the top, there'd still only be one z-level above them, not enough to make a jump and it would be too long to coast over.

This is true. I'm fairly certain nobody's ever successfully jumped one full embark tile.
Try it out. Make a 2x1 Embark, use half the map to accelerate a cart, and see if you can make it to the edge without it touching the ground.

EDIT: The reason I'd want to see this track automated is based on purely practical reasons. If you want to move a significant quantity of material from one fort to another, you'll probably have to do it in adventure mode as otherwise the game probably won't keep track of the minecarts. It's not the entire world being kept track of in DF2014: I'm pretty sure it allows worldgen to continue after you start fortress mode, alongside army movement mechanics.
So, if you're doing it as an adventurer, you're going to have to put a lot of minecarts on the track yourself to send them where you want them to go. If every so often you have to take them off the track, push it an entire embark tile, and repeat this for the entire minecart train, it'll be incredibly frusturating to cover any distance.
And this is assuming enemies can path through a 16x16 embark region if it's only partially used in a fort. If they can't, that's 16x the distance to push each cart.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 03:59:28 pm by MDFification »

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #775 on: January 02, 2014, 04:04:03 pm »

That's why my plan was to obisidianize several levels over them, although you could simply make sure the only elevation you need is one z-level, although that still allows hills to block the minecart, so here's an improved design to allow you to obsidianize more levels more reliably:
Before:
After:
Activate the levers in pairs, first the ones at the "corners", then the central two.
And yet another bit of proof that RNG is toying with us. We do 1984, it does animal farm

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #776 on: January 02, 2014, 04:11:04 pm »

But then there's a giant wall of obsidian blocking the minecart. Also, how do you make sure the lava stays in place long enough to get cast if there's nothing to hold it in place?

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #777 on: January 02, 2014, 04:13:22 pm »

You just continue to add magma. It's all about putting the "spouts" at the right height. If you get that done properly, you can fine-tune the height of the obsidian so it doesn't block the minecart but merely provides a perfectly flat surface for it to roll over.

EDIT: If you want to test this, there's always the !!SCIENCE!!-bonus world that's going to be running concurrently for you to test this in. And the magma physics won't change, so technically you could test this with DF2012.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #778 on: January 02, 2014, 04:20:29 pm »

Mind, it would take painfully long and require a very beefy computer in adventure mode.

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #779 on: January 02, 2014, 04:34:33 pm »

Don't worry, I have one project in mind which will very slowly kill off the computer of anyone who tries to use it, anyway. Lots and lots of fluid mechanics.
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 74