Poll

Should we mod the new world?

No
- 121 (60.5%)
Yes
- 79 (39.5%)

Total Members Voted: 200

Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 74

Author Topic: DF2014: The Succession World! At Long Last!  (Read 109698 times)

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
Re: DF2013: The Succession World?
« Reply #450 on: April 14, 2013, 05:26:59 pm »

Has anybody on this thread ever killed a demon in adventure mode? Just asking to find out how challenging it would be to kill all demons that escaped the underworld and throw their corpes into a volcanoe or even back to hell.
I have a demon myself once, but that was because I had a lightsaber +steel pick+ and because the demon in question just happened to be blind.

How that demon had managed to write over forty books without eyes is beyond me.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: April 14, 2013, 05:48:36 pm »

Has anybody on this thread ever killed a demon in adventure mode? Just asking to find out how challenging it would be to kill all demons that escaped the underworld and throw their corpes into a volcanoe or even back to hell.

Yes. It's fairly challenging, you'll need lots of agility. As for escaped demons, they tend to rule civilizations, so you get one surprise attack and then the whole civ turns hostile. Unless you stealth, of course.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: April 17, 2013, 08:14:23 am »

*bump*

Just to keep something going on in this thread, can someone explain me how the reaction moments thingy works? (from our current knowledge so far)
Because I'm having trouble with it.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: April 17, 2013, 08:49:57 am »

I'm not really clear on it either, but it seems that if there is an attack or something incoming and you have the observation skill to recognize it, you get a little menu or can open your menu and have some options to avoid or block it. Or some attack with a hefty bonus if your opponent leaves themselves open or something. There's probably some selection of possible actions that have some chance of occurring favorably or something like that based on your relative skills or whatever. I think it's mostly supposed to be active defense, to supplement your passive blocking/dodging/parrying you can do right now.

Also, we ran into a massive problem with the museum item quest game involving retired adventurers causing the game to crash in the adventurer selection menu. Braalbard said he's going to make a bug report for it within reasonable time, and hopefully Toady can get right on it because I managed to reproduce it just by going to the last save before the bug occurred and retiring another adventurer. Reproducible, easy to test, and a major bug that causes crashes, so if Toady at least gets the chance look at it he'll likely have it fixed relatively soon. Maybe not for this release, but it could happen within the next few bug fix releases.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: April 17, 2013, 09:13:36 am »

I'm not really clear on it either, but it seems that if there is an attack or something incoming and you have the observation skill to recognize it, you get a little menu or can open your menu and have some options to avoid or block it. Or some attack with a hefty bonus if your opponent leaves themselves open or something. There's probably some selection of possible actions that have some chance of occurring favorably or something like that based on your relative skills or whatever. I think it's mostly supposed to be active defense, to supplement your passive blocking/dodging/parrying you can do right now.

Also, we ran into a massive problem with the museum item quest game involving retired adventurers causing the game to crash in the adventurer selection menu. Braalbard said he's going to make a bug report for it within reasonable time, and hopefully Toady can get right on it because I managed to reproduce it just by going to the last save before the bug occurred and retiring another adventurer. Reproducible, easy to test, and a major bug that causes crashes, so if Toady at least gets the chance look at it he'll likely have it fixed relatively soon. Maybe not for this release, but it could happen within the next few bug fix releases.

That sounds nasty if this won't be fixed.
(now watch as due to some changes it's no longer present, but I have no idea how that would happen - if anything it would cause even more crashes)

Also, does that mean that someone with Legendary Observer and Dodging skills can potentially become invincible/invulnerable/untouchable?
The gameplay willd definitely get a bit more Dark Souls-esque, but JUST a bit.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: April 17, 2013, 06:39:39 pm »

I'm going to guess not, if faced by several attackers. One can only counter so many strikes at once.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: April 18, 2013, 07:06:59 am »

Alright, one of these paintings is gotta be a thing in our world.

At some point.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: April 18, 2013, 08:32:48 pm »

1st and 3rd not physically possible, even in DF. 4th is the same painting as 3rd. 2nd one, sure. why not?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: April 18, 2013, 10:12:30 pm »

Don't you mean the first and second are identical? Unless you're reading from right to left, of course. :P

Personally, I like the 3rd. I've tried to go for a great castle of ice out on a glacier before, but never actually got anywhere with them.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: April 18, 2013, 11:55:28 pm »

Ah yes, my bad. I clicked the links in reverse. The ice castle one is good, but the others seem floating without support. And as we all know, your fort needs at least a single pillar of soap to satisfy gravity.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: April 19, 2013, 05:56:27 am »

Ah yes, my bad. I clicked the links in reverse. The ice castle one is good, but the others seem floating without support. And as we all know, your fort needs at least a single pillar of soap to satisfy gravity.

Perspective, man.
(also, I messed up a bit, and accidently the first and second are the same)

This is the one I also meant.

Man, I love Zdzisław Beksiński's work. (a Polish artist, 1929-2005)
Apparently he envisioned Dwarf Fortress, in some form at least. What are the odds?

Yuli Vlasi

• Bay Watcher
  • Eggs is Doom
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: April 19, 2013, 12:31:51 pm »

Alright, one of these paintings is gotta be a thing in our world.

At some point.
Relevant signature? :P

1st and 3rd not physically possible, even in DF.
Put them on top of a support or two, it'll be fine.
Source: Common understanding of physics supports warp reality around them, causing physics to gtfo.

If anyone wants to build something like that, I'm in. Maybe I'm even going to make some blue-prints myself soon. Maybe.
Take command. Lead your men. Hide in booze stockpile. Weep, and everyone weeps with you.
Maybe we could export Yuli: "Succession fortress too stable? Too boring? Just get our Yuli VlasiTM!"

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: April 19, 2013, 02:02:26 pm »

Relevant signature? :P

Aye.

Also, I had an idea to make a world of as yet undetermined size which is essentially Antarctica all over the place.
Temperature not higher than -20 degrees Celsius (bottom line being -80 for some degree of reason).

Tundras and mountains only BUT.
The entire place is totally flat, except for the straight up mountains (like in the painting I posted earlier, except maybe bigger and well, frozen).

Yes, there won't be any gobbos, hippies or humans, I know - dwarves only.
But tell me - you want some extreme conditions survival in adventure mode, visiting the deep underground fortresses and whatnot.

Also, all caverns are set to their maximum size. Cavedwarves ftw.

"In this fronen Hell life only exists under the ground, in the hot caves of the earth..."
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 03:43:05 pm by DarkDXZ »

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: April 19, 2013, 04:36:48 pm »

Source: Common understanding of physics supports warp reality around them, causing physics to gtfo.

They don't warp reality: since Dwarves, master builders, make indestructible constructions, one support can bear an infinite amount of weight.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: April 19, 2013, 04:48:00 pm »

They don't warp reality: since Dwarves, master builders, make indestructible constructions, one support can bear an infinite amount of weight.

Why can't our physics be simple as that, too? :(
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 74