Poll

Should we mod the new world?

No
- 121 (60.5%)
Yes
- 79 (39.5%)

Total Members Voted: 200

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 74

Author Topic: DF2014: The Succession World! At Long Last!  (Read 109506 times)

TheKaspa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF2013: The Succession World?
« Reply #120 on: January 26, 2013, 11:00:42 am »

This is disturbingly reminding me about The Dwarves, a book that I'd rather forget. Not that I didn't appreciate it, but because of its sequels.
Sounds familiar. Is it about multiple dwarven kingdoms in a mountain range surrounding a country that is constantly being threatened by all kind of monsters?

Exactly Quite so. It's more five clans of a same dwarven kingdom that serves as defenders of a good enclave in an evil world, if IIRC. And the story is about the election of a new king.
The first book was ok, even very interesting (the underground rush to the forge was awesome, and it's what brought this to my memory).
The other books looked promising, but then inserterd subplots and characters not so enjoyable, in my opinion. Some of them were added, I think, just to offer pretest to keep writing. Plus, they shifted the focus from the dwarves (the reason of why the story was interesting, as it's not something common in fantasy) to the more canonical races.
I am afraid I never read the final ones, since they were impossible to find in italian and I didn't wanted to read them in english - the originial language, german, was never considered as I don't know it.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 11:05:04 am by TheKaspa »
Tai'shar DwarfFortress

I've heard Minecart Airlines Express offers nice trips to nobility. Alternative trips include a voyage over the volcano. Call 1-800-I-THE-GUINEAPIG-VOLUNTEER and book now!
My fucking armok, you broke the game.

Yuli Vlasi

• Bay Watcher
  • Eggs is Doom
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: January 26, 2013, 02:14:27 pm »

Yep, that's the book. I read all parts just for the sake of it. The first one is the best in my opinion. The other ones had some epic moments too, but the amount of unanswered questions and secrets kept piling up, drivig me mad to infinity. But I liked them.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Wasn't there a sixth dwarven clan everyone hates because the only thing they are good at is killing things?

By the way, the train just broke the sound barrier, got lost somewhere in the bermuda triangle's tectonic plate and has a appointment with the queen at seven o'clock.
Take command. Lead your men. Hide in booze stockpile. Weep, and everyone weeps with you.
Maybe we could export Yuli: "Succession fortress too stable? Too boring? Just get our Yuli VlasiTM!"

SilverDragon

• Bay Watcher
  • For glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: January 26, 2013, 06:36:36 pm »

I like trains.
Apparently coding DF is equivalent to slaying hydras.

Raul

• Bay Watcher
  • El Psy Kongroo
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: January 26, 2013, 06:43:52 pm »

I like trains.
Do you like turtles as well?

SilverDragon

• Bay Watcher
  • For glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: January 26, 2013, 06:51:47 pm »

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: January 26, 2013, 07:05:35 pm »

The spinning live pond turtle strikes SilverDragon in the nose, and the severed part goes sailing off in an arc!

"Topic police!"
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: January 27, 2013, 02:57:22 am »

I would join this.
I do not want to imagine how big the file size would be thou. 
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

TheKaspa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: January 27, 2013, 04:01:54 am »

Was thinking... we should try to build a mega-underground place, populate it with Orcs and then try a reclaim à la Moria
Tai'shar DwarfFortress

I've heard Minecart Airlines Express offers nice trips to nobility. Alternative trips include a voyage over the volcano. Call 1-800-I-THE-GUINEAPIG-VOLUNTEER and book now!

Yuli Vlasi

• Bay Watcher
  • Eggs is Doom
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: January 27, 2013, 08:29:44 am »

I would join this.
I'll put you on the list.
Was thinking... we should try to build a mega-underground place, populate it with Orcs and then try a reclaim à la Moria
I don't know how we are supposed to realize that. What about caging up hundreds of goblins and releasing them at our adventurers in packs of 10?
Take command. Lead your men. Hide in booze stockpile. Weep, and everyone weeps with you.
Maybe we could export Yuli: "Succession fortress too stable? Too boring? Just get our Yuli VlasiTM!"

TheKaspa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 27, 2013, 08:52:34 am »

Making Goblins playables?
Tai'shar DwarfFortress

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: January 27, 2013, 12:27:44 pm »

Caging every seige and releasing them into an underground labyrinth once we amass a couple hundred gobbos sounds like a plan.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

SilverDragon

• Bay Watcher
  • For glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: January 27, 2013, 11:43:51 pm »

That plan sounds suitably Damn epic, and fun.

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: January 27, 2013, 11:59:02 pm »

We would have to make sure that the entire area is inaccessible, except through a single grand entrance.  Which would have some sort of airlock.  If the game would manage to actually track the fact that the area is inescapable.  If it doesn't we might have a problem.   
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: January 28, 2013, 12:17:38 am »

If it doesn't, what we have is masterpiece fun and several reclaim teams thrown at the problem.  Thrain's party, then Balin's, then maybe we'll get to Durin the Last after a few very brief embarks.

That said, sign me up... I was worried the list might be too long, but with time-sensitive turns and multiple forts/adventurers running, I've reached the conclusion it shouldn't hit the same problem succession forts tend to somewhere between years 10 and 20
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

Yuli Vlasi

• Bay Watcher
  • Eggs is Doom
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: January 28, 2013, 01:07:16 pm »

Thrain's party, then Balin's, then maybe we'll get to Durin the Last after a few very brief embarks.
Gandalf gonna give it to y'all.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 74