Poll

Should we mod the new world?

No
- 121 (60.5%)
Yes
- 79 (39.5%)

Total Members Voted: 200

Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 74

Author Topic: DF2014: The Succession World! At Long Last!  (Read 109669 times)

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
Re: DF2013: The Succession World?
« Reply #510 on: April 29, 2013, 11:27:41 pm »

Yuli Vlasi

• Bay Watcher
  • Eggs is Doom
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: April 30, 2013, 07:13:11 am »

What's the turn list currently? I know I'm on the later end of it.
The succession list:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
This is the last one I found.

Seeing as I am one of the first players who signed on the list, Ill just say that Im not very good in Dwarf mode, I can set up A moderately okay-ish fort, but I am not the master of  it, Pumping I got the basics, but beyond that im A complete fool, So dont mind my foolery.   :P
I have 'the feeling' *cough
that most of the people that regulary contribute to this thread are more experienced in DF than I am anyways, so...

I'll just stick to the general opinions, dropping some ideas from time to time, watching them either getting accepted or getting ripped into pieces  :D
Take command. Lead your men. Hide in booze stockpile. Weep, and everyone weeps with you.
Maybe we could export Yuli: "Succession fortress too stable? Too boring? Just get our Yuli VlasiTM!"

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: April 30, 2013, 10:04:10 am »

I am able to build a fortress than can survive for eternity.
However, I don't master pumping at all.
And I have never dug through candy. It's too early for me (only my 6th fortress in 1 year of playing)
So, you know, I think this game is so large that mastering it all is not necessary to have fun.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: April 30, 2013, 11:54:34 am »

I always freak out a little when I hear new players say something like "this is only my fourth fortress, but I've figured out the military and nobody is dying of starvation/thirst."
It's almost like the tutorials are actually useful for a change :P

Back in MY day, I was completely oblivious to the tutorials, so I learned the game mostly by trial and error and pestering people that didn't really want to help me. And the wiki. My sixth or so fortress died of thirst because I didn't get farms up in time to brew booze, and had no access to water. It went on like that for a year or so before I finally got good at keeping a fortress alive long enough to see through a couple sieges. Never questioned the HFS, though; I could never have survived back then.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Yuli Vlasi

• Bay Watcher
  • Eggs is Doom
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: April 30, 2013, 12:03:54 pm »

May I ask how long you are playing this game? Just for interest.
Take command. Lead your men. Hide in booze stockpile. Weep, and everyone weeps with you.
Maybe we could export Yuli: "Succession fortress too stable? Too boring? Just get our Yuli VlasiTM!"

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: April 30, 2013, 04:26:13 pm »

Well, I have played quite a few (not to say a long time) hours, and I don't think that there are "more noble way" to learn this game. Some people came because of Minecraft, some because of Boatmurdered, some by friends, some by themselves. I came because of a Game of Dwarves (Paradox game, which, actually I never played, as I came to this).

without tutorial, I think I would never have played this game. English is not my mother tongue and, even if I'm good enough to understand it, I don't think I would have succeed in "mastering" it. And, by the way, I also have a life outside of DF.

Too bad for you if you came to the game back to an epoch when it was so much harder for no good reason. I like when it's hard (no jokes ^^) but I don't like when it's hard for nothing. I could say that DF is just hard enough to please me.

I can assure you that, even if it's easier with tutorial and a more complete wiki, the game is not boring for that. It's still a long time to master everything, and when you think you've done with it, there are still plenty of things to do...and adventurer mode.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: April 30, 2013, 06:21:35 pm »

Eric was just being tongue-in-cheek  :)

I came because of TVtropes, a little over 2 years ago, and learned to play using a tutorial I hadn't realized was outdated. First fort died to HFS because I thought "I shall journey to the center of the earth!" Some guy was working on an artifact, flipped out when demons smashed his workshop and he killed 2 demons before getting incinerated. That's when I really fell in love with this game.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #517 on: April 30, 2013, 08:33:17 pm »

I always freak out a little when I hear new players say something like "this is only my fourth fortress, but I've figured out the military and nobody is dying of starvation/thirst."
It's almost like the tutorials are actually useful for a change :P

Back in MY day, I was completely oblivious to the tutorials, so I learned the game mostly by trial and error and pestering people that didn't really want to help me. And the wiki. My sixth or so fortress died of thirst because I didn't get farms up in time to brew booze, and had no access to water. It went on like that for a year or so before I finally got good at keeping a fortress alive long enough to see through a couple sieges. Never questioned the HFS, though; I could never have survived back then.
Hell, I've played hundreds of fortresses and I still lose them to dehydration because I didn't set up a booze industry.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: April 30, 2013, 11:33:06 pm »

Yeah, it still happens sometimes for me too. But my biggest threat is usually taking too long to set up a decent military or defensive perimeter.

I think that these succession-world games will probably be most fun when the worlds are simply generated from a random seed, without major modifications. Things like the number of volcanoes, beasts, caves and such are optional. Honestly I dunno just how insane the world will be with megabeasts and such actually wandering around occasionally. It might just get scary, especially if you set the starting pops for them real high.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: May 01, 2013, 08:08:04 pm »

Only our tenacity will allow us to ferry the great +copper scepter+ across the world.

Urist Mc Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: May 04, 2013, 07:05:01 am »

I'm in. Also, if we do mods, what will they be. I'm thinking all animals trainable/tameable. Stone warhammers. No evil/good animal and plant restrictions. An extra hostile race for !!FUN!!

Yuli Vlasi

• Bay Watcher
  • Eggs is Doom
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: May 04, 2013, 08:56:07 am »

Hello, we decided that we won't use any mods.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #523 on: May 04, 2013, 09:46:40 pm »

Hello, we decided that we won't use any mods.
I suppose there's the nonsense world, and someone could always start up a 2013 Modded Succession World once Toady's got the game mostly stable.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Yuli Vlasi

• Bay Watcher
  • Eggs is Doom
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: May 05, 2013, 05:29:50 am »

INFINTE POSSIBILITIES! WHY CAN'T I HOLD THEM ALL?!  :'(
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 74