Poll

Should we mod the new world?

No
- 121 (60.5%)
Yes
- 79 (39.5%)

Total Members Voted: 200

Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 74

Author Topic: DF2014: The Succession World! At Long Last!  (Read 109429 times)

hairypotatoes

• Bay Watcher
  • i like potatoes
    • View Profile
Re: DF2013: The Succession World?
« Reply #405 on: March 27, 2013, 10:58:03 pm »

i think we should start as early as possible and shape the history the whole way through i like that idea more than the whole foreigner idea just my 2 cents
potato?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: March 27, 2013, 11:05:57 pm »

Sounds like you guys going to do that 'challenge start at the dawn of time' thread in the dwarf mode discussion thread.

I think that'd be pretty awesome, now that it's actually going to be semi-feasible with the population being maintained 50 years after beginning. There won't be any new sites that we didn't build, unfortunately. I personally think a short history of 100 years would be fair.

Also, might as well put me on the list finally. I enjoy succession games.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: March 28, 2013, 02:35:19 am »

1 week per people = 1 year of playing = A "permanent" succession game which will last until...the next update !
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 03:53:07 am by Inarius »

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: March 28, 2013, 03:01:24 am »

Perfect!

Yuli Vlasi

• Bay Watcher
  • Eggs is Doom
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: March 28, 2013, 06:02:49 am »

It's just that if an entire dwarven kingdom is supposed to be started by refugees from another world, then their rich worldgen history will get in the way unless we start as early as possible.
I thought that the whole idea was to start as early as possible? And then see how far we can carry the world along and watch it evolve.
There won't be any new sites that we didn't build, unfortunately. I personally think a short history of 100 years would be fair.
How about a compromiss? We generate the world with a history of about 100 to 150 years maybe longer and have the shipwrecked dwarves. Those dwarves would then be discovered by a dwarven caravan and after a few years they would be allowed to join the local dwarven kingdom.
That way we can have mastahcheese's introduction to the new features and procedurally generated sites with their own history.

I do also agree with most of the stuff HugoLuman suggested:
Diversety is important.

EDIT: Quoting mastahcheese's first post: 'I can imagine a world being genned from year two (or zero if someone has figured out how), and advancing onward  into years with triple digits, possibly even quadruple if the world is just that good.'

The idea was to start a world from the very beginning and shape it as time progresses. Although I would prefer a world with pregenerated sites and historical figures I think it's up to mastahcheese to decide. If we start at year one, we start at year one.

btw op, when the time comes to generate worlds, could you provide multiple ones so everyone can take a look at them before we choose wich one we want to play on?
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 08:10:51 am by Yuli Vlasi »
Take command. Lead your men. Hide in booze stockpile. Weep, and everyone weeps with you.
Maybe we could export Yuli: "Succession fortress too stable? Too boring? Just get our Yuli VlasiTM!"

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: March 28, 2013, 01:15:51 pm »

btw op, when the time comes to generate worlds, could you provide multiple ones so everyone can take a look at them before we choose wich one we want to play on?
Of course.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: March 28, 2013, 01:26:33 pm »

If I may make a suggestion: first generate the world taking only the terrain seed into account, we pick based on that, and then adjust our good/evil values accordingly. Then regenerate versions with a different nameseed, then history seed and creature seed. We can afford to be picky with a world we'll most likely be stuck with for an entire year.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 01:58:50 pm by Spish »
Ah, yes, I thought something was amiss. Now I see. There's not enough terrible things in the lakes.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: March 28, 2013, 01:49:17 pm »

I wish we end up with a world that is reminiscent of my current world - ie. it contains an isolated evil island filled with towers and dark fortresses.
But that's just me.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #413 on: March 28, 2013, 04:04:45 pm »

The Evil Island needs to be a short swim from The Normal Island, which is also just a short swim from The Good Island.

But this is DF, and as such, every island contains the same stuff. I'll leave it up to you to decide what.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: March 28, 2013, 05:05:26 pm »

Well, swimming is ok, but we can also build  "tunnel fortresses" with just a tunnel under the water, and then retire.

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: March 28, 2013, 05:16:57 pm »

Additionally, I imagine adv-fort would allow us to build long bridges/tunnels/underground roads without having to make multiple fortresses over massive swaths of ocean.
Ah, yes, I thought something was amiss. Now I see. There's not enough terrible things in the lakes.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: March 28, 2013, 07:12:32 pm »

Additionally, I imagine adv-fort would allow us to build long bridges/tunnels/underground roads without having to make multiple fortresses over massive swaths of ocean.

But where's the fun in that? I don't think someone could swim across a vast swath of ocean in a week (merely holding down 'w' or whatever), let alone dig it. Then again, bridges / tunnels are only really possible if you can cover the area with 1 or 2 embarks, since there's nowhere for the dwarves to safely start in out in the middle of the ocean.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: March 28, 2013, 07:31:56 pm »

Well obviously there would need to be fortresses on each side, the adventurer is for everything in between. You could just say the dwarves did it :P
(or legendary architect adventurer)

I should rephrase that, "more than two fortresses" is what I meant.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 07:53:07 pm by Spish »

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: March 28, 2013, 08:06:10 pm »

Well, if you dig a path down to the caverns on each side, then as long as you genned a world with wide open caverns (which I say we do, no twisty honeycomb passages that go nowhere and get blocked by fungus trees!) the sites are basically connected.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: March 28, 2013, 08:23:49 pm »

Not necessarily. Regardless of how huge, the caverns do end at some point, and potentially large sections of a cavern could be flooded with water (think of the non-swimmers!). Hiring a miner-roadbuilder would ensure that this doesn't get in the way.

Then again, like you said, there is the adventure factor in navigating the unmarked cavern system from Point A to Point B. I suppose we could just have the miner test the route and make sure there are no dead-ends along the way.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 09:22:11 pm by Spish »
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 74