Poll

Should we mod the new world?

No
- 121 (60.5%)
Yes
- 79 (39.5%)

Total Members Voted: 200

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 74

Author Topic: DF2014: The Succession World! At Long Last!  (Read 107266 times)

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
Re: DF2013: The Succession World?
« Reply #360 on: March 23, 2013, 03:41:24 pm »

Did somebody say 'FINAL BOSS'?
How about this: Somebody creates an adventurer and gives him a distinctive feature in form of unusual clothing or an awesome weapon. The creator of that adventurer won't tell anybody how the adventurer looks like, what skills he has, what race he is or what his actual name is. Instead, everyone refers to him as 'The Crimson Knight', because he wears a red cape or something like that.

Too make it short:
1) The Crimson Knight gets his own lair or castle, where he retires and waits for challengers to appear.
2) The challengers don't tell anybody anything about their adventurers. Like the it happened to be with the original knight, race, appearence etc. remain secret.
3) What happens in the lair stays in the lair. We don't tell each other if we defeated the knight or if we failed trying. We are only allowed to hint that we are attempting it, the outcome remains secret.
4) If the challengers adventurer succeeds he assumes the identity of the Crimson Knight by taking his clothes and equipment, nicknaming himself 'The Crimson Knight' and retiring.
5) When the challenger enters the lair he's not allowed to examine eventual corpes to find out how many knights were defeated.

No one knows who the Crimson Knight is. You don't know what you should expect. It could be a vampire, an elf or some guy dual-wielding adamantite socks.

Sound good to me.
We could make some lava pits to remove the corpses and water to clean eventual blood spatters.
Unless you feel like drinking it, of course.

One thing though - (unless it doesn't matter) - does the new Crimson Knight have to wear his/her predecessor's clothing? Because you know, elves and dwarves have problem with that.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #361 on: March 23, 2013, 03:50:18 pm »

We could always just have two sets of red capes.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: March 23, 2013, 03:54:00 pm »

Now that is a neato idea, I like very much. The Crimson Knight! The Rainbow Ronin! The Pantsless Enigma!

Of course, there still needs to be a supreme evil dick for non-canon players to try (and fail) to deal with, so that if someone actually does manage to pull it off, it'd probably be quite the story.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 09:59:30 pm by Spish »
Ah, yes, I thought something was amiss. Now I see. There's not enough terrible things in the lakes.

Yuli Vlasi

• Bay Watcher
  • Eggs is Doom
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: March 23, 2013, 05:11:26 pm »

The Crimson Knight! The Rainbow Ronin! The Pantsless Enigma!
Let's stick with the Crimson Knight for now.
One thing though - (unless it doesn't matter) - does the new Crimson Knight have to wear his/her predecessor's clothing? Because you know, elves and dwarves have problem with that.
I'm sure we'll figure something out.
A dwarf trying to carry a oversized cape with him would look like a child dragging a carpet behind it + screaming 'I'M THE CRIMSON KNIGHT, PREPARE FOR YOUR DEMISE!'
Take command. Lead your men. Hide in booze stockpile. Weep, and everyone weeps with you.
Maybe we could export Yuli: "Succession fortress too stable? Too boring? Just get our Yuli VlasiTM!"

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: March 23, 2013, 09:13:54 pm »

One way the crimson one could be distinguished is by painting himself head to toe with the blood of his victims (and thus his successor do the same with his own). However, it's not currently possible to cover yourself in your enemy's blood even if you roll around in a pool of it, which is quite the shame. I suppose you could have him stand in blood rain (thus dousing him and all his armor), but then it wouldn't authentic blood :P
« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 10:42:23 pm by Spish »
Ah, yes, I thought something was amiss. Now I see. There's not enough terrible things in the lakes.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: March 23, 2013, 11:16:29 pm »

And we'd have to find a way for him/her to not become the entire focus of the game.

Also, let's have a few people make some legendary adventurers with awesome equipment (genocide optional) who go retire in Dark Fortresses, so we can have our own legendary bosses to fight in fort mode. Just keep in mind, sounds like genocides will stick in this version, so we ought to be sparing in massacring entire populations, lest the world become too empty (and therefore boring).
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #366 on: March 24, 2013, 02:12:45 am »

I still find it weird that worldwide genocide is fairly standard on these forums, but anywhere else it would result in comparisons to Hitler or Attila the Hun.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: March 24, 2013, 03:08:20 am »

I still find it weird that worldwide genocide is fairly standard on these forums, but anywhere else it would result in comparisons to Hitler or Attila the Hun.
Hitler and Attila can't handle this kind of genocide.

Yuli Vlasi

• Bay Watcher
  • Eggs is Doom
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: March 24, 2013, 04:55:09 am »

Of course, there still needs to be a supreme evil dick for non-canon players to try (and fail) to deal with, so that if someone actually does manage to pull it off, it'd probably be quite the story.
How about escaped demons?
Hitler or Attila the Hun.
But do they even magma?
Take command. Lead your men. Hide in booze stockpile. Weep, and everyone weeps with you.
Maybe we could export Yuli: "Succession fortress too stable? Too boring? Just get our Yuli VlasiTM!"

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: March 24, 2013, 08:48:26 am »

Bay 12 apparently doesn't mind worldwide genocides.
And yet we have to yet succeed at pulling one off.

The Age of Emptiness, I want to see it happen!

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: March 24, 2013, 11:50:25 am »

Is stealing artifacts etc. from other players' forts forbidden? Or murdering individuals (and not entire fortresses)?
(after all, one can build traps and whatnot to make this harder for potential intelligent ie. player-controlled raiders)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: March 24, 2013, 02:04:56 pm »

Bay 12 apparently doesn't mind worldwide genocides.
And yet we have to yet succeed at pulling one off.

The Age of Emptiness, I want to see it happen!

Not in this version because of that thrice-damned respawning bug, but in 31.16 and lower, that bug didn't exist and it was as easy as a very large pie to accomplish; you just needed to be persistent enough to hunt them all down.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: March 24, 2013, 02:10:59 pm »

And in the upcoming version it's going to be much easier (or maybe not given all the new sites).

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: March 24, 2013, 07:26:20 pm »

Not in this version because of that thrice-damned respawning bug, but in 31.16 and lower, that bug didn't exist and it was as easy as a very large pie to accomplish; you just needed to be persistent enough to hunt them all down.
It will however work with kobold caves, and I know this from personal experiences.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: March 24, 2013, 11:10:22 pm »

Age of Emptiness sounds cool and all, but for a succession game, it's a bit boring if there's no one left to trade with the forts / attack forts / talk to adventurers.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 74