Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: Deathbattle! Superman vs Goku  (Read 14710 times)

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Deathbattle! Superman vs Goku
« on: December 30, 2012, 09:56:36 pm »

Superman vs Goku

UPDATE:

Here it is:
http://www.screwattack.com/shows/originals/death-battle/death-battle-goku-vs-superman

NOTE: This thread is to be considered spoily. If you don't want to be spoiled, watch the video before reading further.

This age old debate is about to be put to the test.

Screwattack's Deathbattle series is taking this duel on. Anytime now. Maybe. The video was scheduled for release on the 21st, but apparently the final product will clock in at roughly half an hour long, which will make it the longest of their death battles, ever. Consequently it's been delayed, and it's now expected soon(tm).

With Superman voices being voiced by ItsSomeRandomGuy of I'm a Marvel and I'm a DC, and MasakoX of TeamFourStar's Dragonball Abridged voicing Goku, third party research provided by the combined efforts of Derek Padula, kanzenshuu, superman super site and the superman Homepage, this is bound to be a fight to remember.

Original Preview
Death Battle Preview: Goku
Death Battle Preview: Superman

Forecasts, debate, predictions and trolling, go!

zombie urist

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING]
    • View Profile
Re: Deathbattle! Superman vs Goku
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2012, 10:04:16 pm »

I remember there was this image on macromeme showing that Superman's power level was many orders or magnitude higher than that of goku.
The worst part of all of this is that Shakerag won.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2012, 10:17:23 pm »

I just watched the Goku preview, to see what parts they will be including. And I am going to bet on Goku. Since I mean. Superman has the power to rival gods. But Goku surpassed the gods, then got 4000 times more powerful.

Not to mention that apparently from the preview on Superman it mentions that he is vulnerable to magic. Which if you count the energy blasts and such (which I would since they are apparently made of 'spiritual power' which sounds like magic to me) give Goku a very very easy win.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2012, 10:54:41 pm »

I remember there was this image on macromeme showing that Superman's power level
was many orders or magnitude higher than that of goku.

Rumor is that they decided to not use power levels to estimate anything in favor of observable feats only. Apparently they were too inconsistent to be very meaningful and there was a lot of debate over how to apply them.

Superman has the power to rival gods. But Goku surpassed the gods, then got 4000 times more powerful.

Superman did fight Thor in one comic, and won. Though he did later admit it was a close fight. Whereas both Vegita and Goku were known to completely blow away the gods of the dragonball verse with how much powerful they were. I'm not sure that's a valid comparison though since we don't know how strong the gods of each universe are relative to each other.

from the preview on Superman it mentions that he is vulnerable to magic. Which if you count the energy blasts and such (which I would since they are apparently made of 'spiritual power' which sounds like magic to me)

In the DC universe magic is a fairly specific thing. Lots of characters can fire "energy" blasts, but they're not magic in the sense that characters like Dr Fate or Circe use. Dragonball is similar, actually. Goku and troupe can all fire ki blasts, but then there are characters like Babidi who are clearly not fighters that use magic.

I think ki will not be considered magic for the fight.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2012, 05:20:49 am »

I've done this before. The issue with Superman is that he is rather inconsistant

Though his standard strength does indicate that Goku would win. Yet Superman's greater edge of strength suggests it isn't so clear cut.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2013, 04:37:24 pm »

I'm amazed at how overestimated superman is. He's susceptible to magic and I'm certain a strong enough telepath. Hell, i don't remember him having telekinesis. He should be long dead.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Sir Finkus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2013, 05:10:07 pm »

Who wins?  I tried watching the battle but got bored.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2013, 05:22:38 pm »

Who wins?  I tried watching the battle but got bored.

Superman.

I'm amazed at how overestimated superman is. He's susceptible to magic and I'm certain a strong enough telepath. Hell, i don't remember him having telekinesis. He should be long dead.

Well, to be fair I think there's a lot of evidence to support their "chi isn't magic" argument. But yeah...some of the other things they had going on didn't seem right to me. I'm disappointed with the results. To be fair, this fight has always been a question of which source material one chooses to look at. Superman's abilities are notoriously inconsistent depending on which writers were involved. Here are my main complaints:

1) They used source material for superman that I'm personally not familiar with, and that contradicts source material for him that I am. Obviously I can't expect them to tailor their estimates based on me personally, but it was very strange watching them make claims about superman based on material I hadn't seen that pretty blatantly contradicts material that I have seen.

2) They got some things strangely wrong about Goku. Biggest one: it was completely bizarre to the point of ludicrousness to suggest that Goku, of all people, would be surprised and confused at the notion of someone using pressure points on him. Another example: claiming that he couldn't breath in space. So far as I can tell that's based on a single comment by Freiza during the Namek saga of Dragonball Z. The problem is that it's demonstrated wrong on a number of occasions. Vegeta and Nappa are both shown casually hanging out in space during the series, Goku's father and various other Saiyan have been shown flying through and fighting in space...it's obvious that space is not a significant hinderance to members of his species. Maybe Goku himself is never explicitly shown to do this himself...but it it's pretty clear he can, and in fact even after Freiza said he couldn't, Goku was obviously not hindered when the planet blew up and actually did leave him in space. He just disappeared for a while and then showed up again. Obviously the vacuum of space didn't kill him, and once he realized it he just flew away. But then they also gave him powers that I'm not sure how they justified: for example the had him draw power directly from the sun for the spirit bomb even though I'm not aware of the spirit bomb ever having been used to draw power from anything other than living creatures. They had him use IT to teleport ahead to where Superman was going rather than where he was, even though IT explicitly required an energy source to lock onto for targetting. So some of the things they got wrong hurt him, some helped, some made little difference...but they did make a lot of mistakes.

3) While they drew on material from GT (which is the third of three Dragonball series) they appear to have used about the middle of the second series as the measuring point for Goku's power. The Snake Way and "40 tons" events happened about halfway through Z. That's relatively ancient out of the Dragonball timeline. But they apparently chose it, disregarding a lot of other material because it was one of the few instances of numbers being given in Dragonball apart from power levels and the kaioken. Whereas for Superman they also used a set of "numbers" given at one point...from, once again...some specific source that I'm not familiar with and appears to contradict his generally demonstrable feats in material I have seen. Basically...it seems like they were comparing an obscure outlier of Superman to a very old mid-second-series Goku.

4) They appear to have completely glossed over fight speed mechanics. Seems like they just arbitrarily allowed the two to fight on equal terms. Superman is routinely seen taking punches from much slower fighters than Goku, whereas FTL combat is a regular and recurring theme in Dragonball. Even as early as original Dragonball, world tournament fights were shown to occur more quickly than the audience was capable of observing them, and throughout the various series it was common for some fighters to be unable to even see the attacks of other fighters because of speed.

5) While they were really trying to get the personalities right...and did some things well...some things they got just wrong. For example, I have a difficult time imagining Goku blowing up the Metropolis building with no regard for the people inside. I similarly have a difficult time imagining superman destroying the planet earth just to beat Goku. But they both did these things. It was out of character. They really should have stopped the fight and moved to somewhere where there wouldn't be civilian casualties.

6) It sort of felt like they were trying to "touch on everything quickly once" rather than actually have the two of them legitimately fight. They made mistakes for both characters here. For example, squeezing in the nyoi-bo and kinto-un, even though those were childhood toys that Goku pretty much stopped using s  teenager because he'd outpaced their usefulness. And they had superman complaining about the "magic" of the nyoi-bo, but even I would say that no...it was pretty silly to suggest it would have had any special effect on him. Again...it was something that Goku mostly stopped bothering with by the end of original Dragonball, let alone Z or GT. It was essentially a stick that could elongate itself. Yes...maybe that's magic...but so what? Goku wouldn't have bothered with it and it shouldn't have had any effect on Superman anyway. But they were doing stuff like this just so they could say that they included everything.

7) They ran out of time. With Goku dead and the earth destroyed...the obvious next thing to happen would be for Superman to reverse time to undo the destruction of earth, and for Goku to teleport out from the afterlife and continue the fight. But they just let it end there instead. Granted, the video was already over 30 minutes long by that point, but neither of the fighters would have stopped at the point they decided to end the fight.

EDIT:
Oh, this is interesting: can't confirm, but according to some other post-analysis being done by others, apparently the some of the feats Death Battle used to based superman's strength were from sources in which Superman had spent years in the sun accumulating energy, which is why they were so much above and beyond what he's usually capable of. Whereas in the fight video he spent at most 5-10 minutes in the sun. So...huge discrepancy.

EDIT:
Nappa not Radditz

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2013, 06:55:59 pm »

I'm not an expert on either of these guys, but, from the video itself, they said Superman was very devoted to the protection of Metropolis, so it didn't make any sense that he would destroy the Earth just to defeat an enemy. Of course, I don't think Goku would just pick a fight with someone just because he's really strong, or at least he wouldn't fight someone who wasn't a bad guy without their consent.

Regardless, the fight was unfair because Superman has been around for 70 years, and the writers have had to top themselves and each other as far as displayed power level, compared to 20 years from it's start of the franchise to the end of Dragon Ball Z. Now, I haven't seen any of Dragon Ball Z past I think the 2nd season, but I get the feeling that, if they had kept going, Goku would have easily gained power to surpass Superman. I have a feeling that, given an opponent like Superman, and, not having to defeat him immediately, Goku call the fight and go off to find a way to train to be strong enough to beat Superman. Now, that's an argument of the spirit of the combatants, rather than one based on any solid facts, so it may not be worth much, but I felt it was worth saying.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2013, 06:56:58 pm »

Oh, you mistake me. I mean superman should be dead in the dc universe unless there's an utter dearth of magic telepaths or at least fucking telekinetics.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2013, 07:14:05 pm »

I quite enjoyed Eggman vs. Dr. Wily. I would have been happy with either result. HOWEVER

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And that made me chuckle. :P Kind of took any validity there was out of the fight, but it was still entertaining.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2013, 07:17:31 pm »

it didn't make any sense that he would destroy the Earth just to defeat an enemy

Agreed. Totally out of character for supes. And it seems silly to suggest that it was n accident or that he just didn't think about it. Goku might not be the smartest character in fiction and even he's in canon intercepted attacks specifically for the purpose of keeping them from destroying planets. It seems silly to suggest that Superman just "wouldn't have thought of it."

I don't think Goku would just pick a fight with someone just because he's really strong

...no, that's pretty reasonable. Far more so than the justification they gave uin the intro sequence. Redemption was a major theme in Dragonball, and Goku was constantly giving confirmed villains "second chances." For him to simply assume that Superman was bad was pretty out of character. But to just see him and say "hey, you're strong let's fight!" I can see that happening.

Regardless, the fight was unfair because Superman has been around for 70 years, and the writers have had to top themselves and each other as far as displayed power level, compared to 20 years from it's start of the franchise to the end of Dragon Ball Z. Now, I haven't seen any of Dragon Ball Z past I think the 2nd season, but I get the feeling that, if they had kept going, Goku would have easily gained power to surpass Superman.

...well...kind of tough to say. If you're looking at power creep, Goku had way more of it than Superman ever did. Superman started out powerful and applied limiters, whereas Goku estarted out just "strong" and then grew exponentially over time. But the comparisons aren't necessarily equivalent. I'm more familiar with the Dragonball verse than the DC verse, but there are gods in both. The difference is that in Dragonball, Goku is clearly and explicity demonstrated to be so much stronger than the gods that they're surprised and embarrased about it. Whereas superman is regularly defeated by a number of things from villains to even random monsters on random planets.

This could be justified by saying that the basis of comparisons don't match: the gods of DC are just stronger than the gods of Dragonball. But without goign into specifics, I'd say it's more likely just inconsistency among DC writers.

Goku call the fight and go off to find a way to train to be strong enough to beat Superman.

Sure. Again, dying wouldn't stop Goku. He'd just keep training in the afterlife and come back. Like I mentioned in my previous post, dying wouldn't even necessarily stop the fight in the short term. Death isn't much of a problem in the Dragonball verse and Goku has demonstrated the ability to teleport out of the afterlife dimensions.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2013, 07:38:37 pm »

Superman should lose, if only because the concept of power levels is completely irrelevant to what makes Superman an interesting character. Dragonball Z is all about getting stronger and stronger, so defeating Supes fits in with both characters. As much as you could with apples and oranges characters anyway.

Although saying Ki is magic is stretching things guys. At that point I could just say Superman is susceptible to the magic of his universe, but not the weird not the same magic of the DBZ universe. Just say Goku can muscle through an invincible man. Such a claim makes sense with that character.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

rabidgam3r

• Bay Watcher
  • bruh
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2013, 08:07:30 pm »

I was reading that long post from LordBucket, when i happened upon this: "the obvious next thing to happen would be for Superman to reverse time". Okay, so where did you get that information? the movie? NO. Superman cannot reverse time. Sorry if I'm getting a bit angry at nothing, but comics are my one true passion. NO. NO TIME REVERSAL, EVER. (as far as i know)
Even if he hadn't brought the server down in a ball of flaming, slow-mo gibbing corgis
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7