Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Fat - It could save your life...for a while.  (Read 2028 times)

DanteThanatos

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:hollow eyes]
    • View Profile
Fat - It could save your life...for a while.
« on: December 30, 2012, 02:08:09 am »

The Start
After reading The Real Wagon:http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=47533.0
I've had an idea...a Hermit. A single dwarf out in the open. Live as long as you can.

The Surprise
Everything is going ok...got the house up,burrowed the other 6 dwarves, made a training axe and bedroom stuff.
They should die pretty soon...Kept going with my little dwarf life, brought two dogs with me and had the luck to get a pair of horses too.
Suddenly they break out of the burrow and take by assault my food stockpile...not a problem...forbid everything.
They still got to quench their thirst using ponds nearby but they cant get any food, its ok. They will die eventually.

The Results
Two of them die, the other four are still alive even after almost two months without food.
Two of them are very skinny, one is skinny and the last one is just thin.

tl:dr Dwarves can hang onto their fatness to keep them alive for some time while the skinnier dwarves die sooner. Of starvation of course.

EDIT:The last dwarf that had a little more fat went insane before dying.
EDIT2: Migrants...oh boy I forgot about those hardcoded migrants...glad its just two of them.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 02:16:23 am by DanteThanatos »

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
Re: Fat - It could save your life...for a while.
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2012, 02:10:42 am »

PTW
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2012, 02:12:44 am »

I'd be curious if anyone could make a timer based off the time it takes for a fat dwarf to starve to death. Assuming it's not influenced by other factors than fat, that is.

DanteThanatos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2012, 02:31:43 am »

Autumn:
Made a little tomb to put my first 6 dwarves in it, so that I have no ghosts.
Buried them and locked the three(Two adults and a children) inside the little tomb.
Locked them inside with a door.

After some time the fisherdwarf throws a tantrum and breaks one of the coffins sending the now partial skelleton to the floor.
No one special, peasant, now smilling to those three poor souls that are locked with corpses inside a dark small smelly tomb.
Children dies first.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2012, 02:36:37 am »

The thing that kills all my hermit forts are the ghosts.  The ones that rip limbs off due to the brutal and painful nature of their deaths. 

So yeah, slabs, slabs, slabs.  They are a godsend. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

DanteThanatos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2012, 02:40:55 am »

What I am reaaaaally afraid is a sudden mood.

What are the pre reqs for a mood?

EDIT: The tomb is filled with miasma, I think I can hear screams from here.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 02:43:59 am by DanteThanatos »

Bigheaded

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2012, 05:53:03 am »

ye, the amount of time fat dwarves can survive is ridiculous,

I tried this style also with 1 dwarf underground and 6 dwarves stand out in putrid rain getting rotted away and they still lasted for goodness knows how long, then i had migrant waves appearing and adding to it.

Eventually i got so peeved at them surviving on random critters even in their tiny burrows in decimating weather against various wildlife, i let them have a town with bad food to live in on top, whilst the "real" dwarf underneath in the caverns was living a life of luxury with his pick, luxury foods (sort of, seeing his cooking skill sucked, still, he used only the finest plump helmets, grown badly due to his awful farming skill) and engravings (which he drew himself) etc. He kept "knowing" about all the stinking death on the world above though, even with no contact, which made it amusing for that reason for he kept tantruming on his own. That was when the dwarves above did die of course, which was annoyingly rare.
Dear Urist McStockpileDrone
I just found a barrel which contained a wheelbarrow. Inside the wheelbarrow was another barrel. I don't even understand how that is possible.

omg_scout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2012, 07:12:37 am »

Are you sure you did everything ok?

I once played Terryfiying Glacier Single Pick Challenge and all my dorfs died from starvation at once, in the same tick.

codyorr

• Bay Watcher
  • Alcohol is how I make DF more !!FUN!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2012, 07:33:09 am »

Did you pay attention to how thin or fat they were omg_scout? Fatness really does impact lifespans.
A rotting horse corpse since 201. !!DRUNK FORTRESS!!

DanteThanatos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2012, 05:25:43 pm »

On a side note: Never attack horses or unicorns...their size and horns and hoofs are enough to kill a highly trained swordsdwarf. My hermit died (after trying ONCE to stab a horse) with a hoof through her skull.

I found that dwarfs can respect burrows...with locked doors. Also...when they start a fist fight they target the victim from faaaaaaar away and then proceed to come closer to start the damn fight.

Had a Child outside of a burrow tantruming with a locked door between them, the child was really far away from its victim and the "failed to start a fist fight: target inacessible" spam began.

I might start an experiment to see how much various dwarves with various amount of fatness last out without food.
I might bring cats to kill critters.

Replica

• Bay Watcher
  • Temp. leave of absence
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2012, 06:39:22 pm »

What I am reaaaaally afraid is a sudden mood.

What are the pre reqs for a mood?

EDIT: The tomb is filled with miasma, I think I can hear screams from here.

I've heard that you need 21 player units for strange moods to trigger.
Quote from: tahujdt
I don't know about unicorns, but back in .95, one of my PA soldiers was diagnosed with power armor. I drew a fairly good picture about it, but my science project (a bunny) pissed all over it.
Fallout: Equestria - Index of Stable Reports x Fallout: Equestria - Orange

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2012, 06:40:49 pm »

ptw
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2012, 06:48:49 pm »

Well i think one dwarf can only have one mood in a lifetime so taking a dorf who already made an artifact of sorts should solve this problem... i think.

Then again i'm not willing to bet on that.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

TruePikachu

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished System Administrator
    • View Profile
    • cDusto (my personal server)
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2012, 06:55:53 pm »

Well i think one dwarf can only have one mood in a lifetime so taking a dorf who already made an artifact of sorts should solve this problem... i think.

Then again i'm not willing to bet on that.

I would. 100000☼
He likes Pokémon, composing ≡«☼characters☼»≡, Windows for its compatability, Linux for its security, and Pikachu for its electric capabilities. When possible, he prefers to consume pasta. He absolutely detests Apple.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!
Pages: [1] 2