Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Aquifers and... more aquifers  (Read 1457 times)

PatriotBob

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Aquifers and... more aquifers
« on: December 29, 2012, 06:06:43 pm »

So I embarked in a terrifying forest full well knowing there was an aquifer. I immediately dug into the first layer of sand, probe the 2nd layer and find aquifer followed by dry. I had already prepped for it and while rushing everything under ground (evil biome) I punched through the one layer of aquifer using the two slits.

I start to prep my fort under the aquifer when lo and behold I find another right after the dry layer. So begrudgingly I start in on that one...

Two years later I'm done punching through the 2nd aquifer. All 9 layers of it.
That was a little silly. Had to share.

rabidgam3r

• Bay Watcher
  • bruh
    • View Profile
Re: Aquifers and... more aquifers
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2012, 06:10:25 pm »

While there is a topic on aquifiers, can you turn them off?
Even if he hadn't brought the server down in a ball of flaming, slow-mo gibbing corgis

DTF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2012, 06:22:36 pm »

9 layers... at the 4th layer I'd have said "Ah fck it, above ground fort it is, then. Bring it, zombies!"
I sincerely hope you will be rewarded with plentiful platinum, marble, magnetite, diamonds and candy after such a torture.

And yes there is a way to disable aquifers:
1) LNP (just google 'dwarf fortress LNP' or find it in the mod section) has a neat button that turns aquifers off
2) http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Aquifer#The_modding_method
(a>b) ? false : true

Urist McMontros

• Bay Watcher
  • HHNNNNNNNNNNNNNG
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2012, 07:08:05 pm »

LNP stands for Lazy Newb Pack, by the way. Just in case you needed to know.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2012, 07:16:16 pm »

If you don't want to use LNP (if you're not using it already, switching just for changing aquifers is pretty silly), go in the raws and ctrl+h '[AQUIFER]' out of inorganic_stone_gem, inorganic_stone_layer, inorganic_stone_mineral, and inorganic_stone_soil.

PatriotBob

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2012, 08:00:08 pm »

But if you disable the aquifer I can't have flowing waterfalls and mists in my fortress and can't have a lever to flood the circus...

It's really not that bad... just about starved but meh... only problem is my militia captain has grown attached to his copper war hammer and shield and named the former... Never getting him to replace that equipment...

Edit:
Added bonus... All 9 layers were sedimentary layers. The first dry layer is metamorphic. All my iron is swimming in an aquifer. This really is an evil biome.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 08:44:30 pm by PatriotBob »

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2012, 09:41:42 pm »

Heh, that is unfortunate. I think sometimes ores can be dug through without disturbing the aquifer, though I may be confusing an older version.

If you do end up wanted to get the militia commander to change weapons, assign him one made of a different material. However, the only issue presented by them becoming attached to weapons is that they won't upgrade it for one of the same material but of a higher quality (technically value, but unless you're encrusting crappy weapons in diamonds there isn't much difference). It likely won't matter, unless you stick to copper hammers and really want him to use a masterwork one or something.

Nasikabatrachus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who watchdwarfs the watchdwarves?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2012, 10:12:46 pm »

How did you deal with so many aquifers? I've only ever punched through one, with a cave-in.
"I want to have goblins about me, for I am courageous. The courage which scareth away ghosts, createth for itself goblins--it wanteth to laugh." Thus Spake Zarathustra, chapter 7, Friedrich Nietzsche

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2012, 10:17:02 pm »

What you could do is remove the aquifer tags, strip-mine EVERYTHING and build in constructed staircases to make a path, wall them off, then re-enable aquifers.
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

se5a

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2012, 10:24:43 pm »

Heh, that is unfortunate. I think sometimes ores can be dug through without disturbing the aquifer, though I may be confusing an older version.

I think you are confusing an older version, in my current fort I was using DFhack digvx and the dwarfs keeped digging UP into the aquifer (which does not cancel a dig order) hence I keeped getting flooded.

I said fuckt and savescummed.
several times.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2012, 12:23:43 am »

Hmm, yeah, the wiki may need updating then. Either that or you can only mine through ores that have no other stone adjacent to them, which may not be feasible for anything but magnetite.

What you could do is remove the aquifer tags, strip-mine EVERYTHING and build in constructed staircases to make a path, wall them off, then re-enable aquifers.

Aquifers placed during world gen can't be removed, unfortunately. You can go into legends and export the data to regenerate the same world without them, but this fort is stuck with them.

PatriotBob

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2012, 01:00:46 am »

Quick and easy way to get through any number of aquifer layers... http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Double-slit_method

It's funny cause I was looking forward to having iron at this fort because so far with out fail I never embark with iron, at best I can get copper/bronze... this game hates me sometimes, I swear...

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2012, 04:43:14 am »

Welcome to waterworld.
I've never seen two isolated aquifers, so yes, the game probably doesn't like you.
You can make each level of slit wider than previous digging out a pyramidal shaft eventually. Engravers do this wonderfully.
Stone aquifers are much easier to deal with but your iron will still be hard earned.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 04:46:31 am by Di »
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2012, 12:07:27 pm »

Aquifers placed during world gen can't be removed, unfortunately. You can go into legends and export the data to regenerate the same world without them, but this fort is stuck with them.
Not quite true. Aquifers may be disabled post-world gen, but this will have no effect on any current fortresses and will only effect future fortress sites in that world.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2012, 12:52:58 pm »

DFHack has a drainaquifer function.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.
Pages: [1] 2