Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: Scurvy Dogs (Pirates + DitV)  (Read 4551 times)

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
Scurvy Dogs (Pirates + DitV)
« on: December 29, 2012, 04:48:58 pm »

This is a maptools game using the mechanics, but not the setting, of Dogs in the Vineyard. We are already full, but if the combination of rules and mechanics appeals to enough people the nature of the setting (A pirate ship with a large crew visiting various ports to aid friends, crush foes, and collect the legendary Nine Pieces of Eight) could easily allow for me to run multiple parties taking separate but perhaps interrelated missions.

We will use this thread to discuss meeting times (Friday at 7:00pm pacific, but if somebody has a problem, let us know here). I will also use it to keep track of known recurring NPCs, and homebrew rules. Feel free to do some between session RP and Character development as well.

I will also post an intro to each port you visit here.

The Character Sheets and Excuse Plot: https://edupad.ch/v8ZZGLm4IJ
« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 04:54:25 pm by Weirdsound »

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
Re: Scurvy Dogs (Pirates + DitV)
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2012, 04:49:18 pm »

Homebrew

Supernatural Influence:
Replaces Demonic Influence. Supernatural Influence is rolled based on the current situation, or on the situation under which the injury you are trying to heal was acquired. If more than one situation applies, use only the one with the most dice.

You are at sea, or around seafaring people (More or less default): 1d10
You are actively opposing somebody who seriously dabbles in the supernatural: 2d10
You are actively opposing a minor supernatural creature: 2d10
*You are on ground considered holy by any religion or cult: 2d10
*You are actively seeking to harm the property, clergy, or ceremony of any religion or cult: 3d10
You are actively opposing a supernatural creature: 3d10
You are actively opposing somebody in possession of one of the Nine Pieces of Eight: 4d10
You are in a location spoken of only in myth or legend: 4d10
You are dealing with an injury caused by supernatural means: 4d10
You are actively opposing a truly mighty supernatural creature: 5d10
You are actively opposing somebody in possession of two or more of the Nine Pieces of Eight: 5d10

*These two conditions can stack in cases of the same religion or cult

The Supernatural and PCs/Recurring NPCs:
PCs are more than welcome to dabble in the occult and/or use any supernatural items up to or including the Nine Pieces of Eight. That said messing with the supernatural comes with its own costs. If you use any dice obtained via supernatural means and then take fallout, you must designate one of the fallout choices you make as Supernatural Fallout.

When taking Supernatural Fallout, the GM picks from the list and his choice will often serve to damage the sanity or humanity of the player or NPC taking the fallout.

Each time supernatural dice are added to a conflict after the first, each party whom has added supernatural dice takes 2d6 fallout dice after the conflict.

Progression Rules:

I have done my homework. I know the biggest issue facing a long term game of Dogs is that the PCs will quickly become overpowered compared to the Proto-NPCs the GM has to work with. Therefore the following rules are in place to keep things sane.

1: When increasing or decreasing the denomination of dice for a trait, relationship, or thing by any means; you must do it in increments. d4 <> d6 <> d8 <> d10

2: You may not add dice to a a trait, relationship, or thing if it already has a number of dice greater than the number of ports you have visited.

3: When taking your second choice for reflection fallout, you may only pick from the EXP/Reflection fallout list a second time if you have not taken any EXP fallout since the last time you reflected.

4: Starting after the first IRL week of play, a player can only take EXP fallout during one session per week. This is to keep the rest of the party from running ahead of Serc, Fel, and any other alternates we may get. This rule does not apply to reflection fallout. EVERYBODY gets to reflect after each port, even if they didn't participate.

5: Recurring NPCs gain reflection fallout when the PCs do. In addition they gain EXP fallout equal to the mean average of EXP fallout taken by the party since the last reflection fallout.

6: Most recurring NPCs will respect rules 1-2. Ones meant to be particularly threatening or powerful will not.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 03:17:05 pm by Weirdsound »

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2012, 04:49:47 pm »

Reserved for Recurring NPCs

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2012, 04:50:05 pm »

Also reserved for recurring NPCs

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2012, 04:50:24 pm »

Reserved, just in case.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2012, 05:13:22 pm »

I'd just like to say to any other potential players: Expect sillyness, lots of sillyness.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

javierpwn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2012, 05:22:19 pm »

seems .... Interetsing

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2012, 05:26:40 pm »

The system was more cumbersome than I expected but that's probably just lack of practice. And of course we are going to be silly. What else could we be?
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

ExKirby

• Bay Watcher
  • A Jump On The Daily Comic Bandwagon.
    • View Profile
    • ExKirby's Generic Randomness
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2012, 05:31:32 pm »

^Pirates!

YARR HARR DIDDLY DEE BEING A PIRATE IS ALRIGHT WITH ME DO WHAT YOU WANT 'CAUSE A PIRATE IS FREE YOU ARE A PIRATE

I'm... not quite sure what came over me ._.
Derm would be a Half-Minute Hero boss. YOU HAVE 30 SECONDS TO FUCK HIM UP OR HE DOES IT TO THE ENTIRE WORLD!

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2012, 05:52:09 pm »

^Pirates!

YARR HARR DIDDLY DEE BEING A PIRATE IS ALRIGHT WITH ME DO WHAT YOU WANT 'CAUSE A PIRATE IS FREE YOU ARE A PIRATE

I'm... not quite sure what came over me ._.

Dammit. I was gonna link that at the first official session start.

ExKirby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2012, 05:58:55 pm »

ExKirby: Blowing shit out of the window unintentionally since... 2008?
Derm would be a Half-Minute Hero boss. YOU HAVE 30 SECONDS TO FUCK HIM UP OR HE DOES IT TO THE ENTIRE WORLD!

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2012, 03:22:15 pm »

Alright we need a name for the ship. I'm working on setting up the first port, and its a bitch having to use '_______' instead of an actual ship name.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2012, 04:28:19 pm »

I might try to jump in this at some point. It looks like great fun.
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

ExKirby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2012, 04:57:06 pm »

If this is going to end as I think it will, can I propose a motion to call the ship the Good Ship Derm?

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2012, 05:05:59 pm »

Need the captain's permission for that you know :P
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7