Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Exploiting the Merchant Caravans, and having a potential invasion.  (Read 1541 times)

jsm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I was playing around in dwarf fortress and locked the caravan trade leader in my office with my expedition leader. The game notified me that they left, yet were still in my fortress. I had also locked my front fortress doors and prevented them from getting out. I then unlocked the office doors.
But then I deleted the trade depot and my dwarves started taking their things.
It was awesome, and the screen notified me again that the caravan trade leader has been "stymied".
I am afraid that they will come back at me and destroy my fortress. Has anyone else found this out?

CaptainLambcake

• Bay Watcher
  • fabulous
    • View Profile
Re: Exploiting the Merchant Caravans, and having a potential invasion.
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2012, 01:14:48 pm »

You don't have to lock it to destroy the Depot.  Do it enough and they'll siege you.
You wake up in (suddenly) your room not somewhere Armok knows where. Travels in deserts and goblin forests turned up to be a dreams borned by procreation of your autistic imagination.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2012, 01:25:16 pm »

Do it enough and they'll siege you.
Dwarfs will never siege you, no matter how much you abuse them.
Just don't have your military kill them, that will likely be the end of your fort: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Trading#Loyalty_cascade

toomanysecrets

• Bay Watcher
  • Jackpot.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2012, 01:31:25 pm »

Normally, you have to rob/kill the humans and/or elves more than once before they will declare war and start sieging you.  Ripping them off once will probably just result in them bringing less next year.

Free stuff is cool, but all of that loot you stole will likely boost your fort's value and attract goblin attacks and on the plus side (depending on your outlook) possibly more migrants, too.

I like to take care of traders, just because every once in a while they actually bring something awesome.  I personally never mess with the elves, because of the small chance each year that they could bring grizzly bears, eagles, tigers, etc.  If you ever end up with dozens of war grizzly bears you will see what I mean.  Of course you could say screw the elves I'll capture my own animals but it's nice to have them delivered to you, already tame, in a cage for insanely low discount prices.

Yes, Bay12ers I know this is seen by many as utter blasphemy, but come on, war bears

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2012, 03:08:16 pm »

I for one love rope reed fiber cloth.

Talk about blasphemy...

jsm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2012, 04:58:38 pm »

Normally, you have to rob/kill the humans and/or elves more than once before they will declare war and start sieging you.  Ripping them off once will probably just result in them bringing less next year.

Free stuff is cool, but all of that loot you stole will likely boost your fort's value and attract goblin attacks and on the plus side (depending on your outlook) possibly more migrants, too.

I like to take care of traders, just because every once in a while they actually bring something awesome.  I personally never mess with the elves, because of the small chance each year that they could bring grizzly bears, eagles, tigers, etc.  If you ever end up with dozens of war grizzly bears you will see what I mean.  Of course you could say screw the elves I'll capture my own animals but it's nice to have them delivered to you, already tame, in a cage for insanely low discount prices.

Yes, Bay12ers I know this is seen by many as utter blasphemy, but come on, war bears

Oh crap.... About how much wealth would attract an invasion? I am at the minimum here in terms of defenses. I have walls, and locked doors. I also have an army of 5 dwarves which I have no idea how to command. I am screwed.

jsm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2012, 05:00:56 pm »

Oh yeah. I held them captive and they went berserk. Luckily, as soon as they started attacking my dwarves I unlocked my doors and the merchants ran out.

Kibstable

• Bay Watcher
  • We didn't start the fire...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2012, 05:21:40 pm »

I like to buy a few really expensive items from traders and sell them a huge pile of crappy things in return.   So for me they are refuse collectors.   I don't want them dying before they get my crap off the map.

jsm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2012, 09:17:50 am »

Now that I have a dead merchant ghost on my hands, how do I bury him to stop him from haunting my dwarves? He isn't under my control, and I can't select him to be buried.

jsm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2012, 09:20:22 am »

Nevermind, I've figured it out.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2012, 11:52:01 am »

Oh crap.... About how much wealth would attract an invasion? I am at the minimum here in terms of defenses. I have walls, and locked doors. I also have an army of 5 dwarves which I have no idea how to command. I am screwed.
Goblin ambushes will start when you have 50 dwarves, 25000☼ worth of goods produces, or 2500☼ worth of goods traded (successfully carried off the map by traders), whichever comes first. Goblin sieges will only start to arrive after you have 80 dwarves.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2012, 02:45:46 am »

I had seiges at fifty dwarves, which is where I like to play. I think that deals with another value thing.

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • likes flesh balls for their calming roundness
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2012, 03:14:58 am »

I have 50 dwarves, around 5 million ☼ produced, and both imports & exports are about 1.7 million ☼. My former expedition leader is now the duke of what's technically a village. I get ambushes all the time, but never a siege.
Dwarf Fortress -- kind of like Minecraft, but for people who hate themselves.