Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hooking up speakers to TV  (Read 1398 times)

Kebooo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Hooking up speakers to TV
« on: December 29, 2012, 11:28:53 am »

Does anyone have experience in hooking up their TV with analog stereo out to a male 3.5mm male connection? There's also an SPDIF out, but I don't have anything for it.

Here's my problem. I seem unable to get my TV to output to my speakers. I was able to get the PS3 to work by having an HDMI connection to the TV but also using its A/V male cord connected to a female/female converter connected to an analog stereo male/3.5mm male cord connected to a 3.5mm female/female converter connected to 3.5mm male, this last connection being my speakers. And that works great.

But when I go analog stereo male/3.5mm male cord connected to a 3.5mm female/female converter connected to 3.5mm male, with the stereo cords plugged into my audio out on the TV, no sound comes out of the speakers.

So my question is whether I'm doing something wrong, if it means my analog stereo out on the TV are broken, if there's a difference between the RCA signals from my PS3 vs a TV, and whether SPDIF might help me. This has been driving me crazy for quite some time and I have scoured the internet looking for answers. I read through the TV's manual to no avail. Also, there are no audio settings that need to be enabled or changed, the sound is supposed to come out automatically.

Thanks to anyone who has some insight into this.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
Re: Hooking up speakers to TV
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2012, 01:38:36 pm »

ok let me get this straight, you have Audio Out Jacks for your tv right? And you are trying to plug it into a sound system via 3.5mm connection?

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2012, 01:51:44 pm »

I'm assuming you're still using the HDMI for video. Check to make sure the TV isn't set to route sound through HDMI only. Should be a setting somewhere for that. Edit: If not, maybe they're kaput, as you said, or it's a crappy TV that always uses that setting.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 01:53:26 pm by Eagleon »
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

toomanysecrets

• Bay Watcher
  • Jackpot.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2012, 02:05:35 pm »

HDMI sends audio and video.

My setup with my PS3 is HDMI from the PS3 to the TV, and 3.5mm out to my (cheap) computer speakers. but you have to go to the menu on your TV and tell it to use the audio out instead of the TV speakers. If your TV has the 3.5mm out, you don't need any of those adapters and you don't need a separate audio cord from the PS3.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2012, 02:12:59 pm »

HDMI sends audio and video.

My setup with my PS3 is HDMI from the PS3 to the TV, and 3.5mm out to my (cheap) computer speakers. but you have to go to the menu on your TV and tell it to use the audio out instead of the TV speakers. If your TV has the 3.5mm out, you don't need any of those adapters and you don't need a separate audio cord from the PS3.
Actually ran into this sort of problem with my ps3. The issue is i believe is the audio settings on the ps3, sometimes HDMI audio won't patch through due to the dolby digital crap, try setting your ps3 into stereo mode.

Kebooo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2012, 02:49:14 pm »

My explanation may have been a bit confusing. I can get my PS3 to output audio to the speakers without any problems, all while having the video go through HDMI. That's fine and all the adapters must be working correctly for this to happen.

My TV has two audio outputs, an analog LR stereo and an SPDIF. There is no 3.5mm out. My speakers have a 3.5mm in, since they're PC speakers. I figured LR stereo from my TV to the speakers should work, since it works for my PS3. But no sound is coming out. All the sound settings for the TV are only related to the TV speakers. There's no way to "choose" where to send them, because if you have something plugged into the out, it's supposed to automatically go there.

I had been ok with listening to cable TV through the TV speakers, but I just got a Wii U and can't do the same trick as I did with PS3. Wii U doesn't let me split the audio out through regular A/V cables while still using HDMI for video. So that's why I'm trying to get my TV to output to the speakers, that way I could listen to both TV and Wii U over them.

I figure either the signal from the TV is somehow incompatible unlike the PS3's or the output from the TV is broken. I don't see what other possible explanation there could be. I'm debating whether I should get a male LR stereo to female 3.5mm jack, an SPDIF converter, or entirely new speakers to try to get this working, unless someone has another idea.

Kebooo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2012, 03:21:30 pm »

Problem solved. It actually was working all along. So for whatever reason, my TV speakers are loud as hell. Even at 5% out of 100% max, it's loud. So I keep it just to just a few bars. But this doesn't translate to the output, so even with my PC speakers up to their max, I wasn't hearing anything. I just tried out headphones and realized I could faintly hear something. I turned the volume up to 60-70% and it's all working now. The PS3 didn't have this problem since it doesn't share the same volume control. I can't believe I didn't realize that before, but I'm extremely happy I didn't go waste money trying to solve something that wasn't broken.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 03:24:21 pm by Kebooo »

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2012, 05:58:28 pm »

lol maybe you should invest in the optical cable.

foil

• Bay Watcher
  • Yarr!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2012, 06:19:52 pm »

is there any tv tuner or etc etc built into tv you use? 

Id just route the audio from the phono leads direct into the speakers instead of sending sound in then out tv again and not bother with sound from tv.