Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Minecraft Clones on the X-Box 360  (Read 2871 times)

pilgrimboy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Minecraft Clones on the X-Box 360
« on: December 29, 2012, 09:13:50 am »

I noticed on the 360 today that there are a ton of Minecraft clones out there. I wanted to start this thread to ask if any of them are any good.
Regular writer at a totally non-related Christian blog, Pulling Weeds Out Of Potholes

pilgrimboy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft Clones on the X-Box 360
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2012, 09:30:17 am »

After doing my own reading of reviews online, I have come up with a list of potentially fun ones. Lootfest. Mine4ever. Total Miner. and Miner Dig Deep (not really Minecraft-like).

Any thoughts on them or other ones?
Regular writer at a totally non-related Christian blog, Pulling Weeds Out Of Potholes

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2012, 09:48:42 am »

Total Miner.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFi1gtKgurw

I may not like the yogscast that much but this is pretty much total miner.

h3lblad3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2012, 10:12:36 am »

SuperGreatFriend has reviewed a lot of them, though not very thoroughly.

They don't look that great, for the most part.
I was talking about importing alimunim.
And we were hypothesising about the sexual relations between elves and trees.

pilgrimboy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2012, 01:54:57 pm »

Well, for just $1 each, I picked up Miner Dig Deep and Total Miner. They seemed fun. One of my boys is playing with the Lootfest trial right now. They have a neat feature in that you build, but then are faced with a zombie invasion rather than just a spawn here and there. Sounds fun.

Miner Dig Deep is a simple little digging game. Not really a Minecraft clone.

Total Miner goes 1000 levels down. We'll see whether there is any incentive to go that deep. But that is only $.0001 per level.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2012, 06:40:51 pm »

You should consider valuing recreation in terms of hours of enjoyment. I spend most of my time in Minecraft at sea-level, but I don't curse my luck at having spent $30 per level. Since I've spent about 300 hours in that game, I've really spent $0.10/hr.

If you have the $19.99 to spare, you might as well just get Minecraft, as opposed to any clones.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

pilgrimboy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2012, 08:05:27 am »

Oh, we already have two copies of Minecraft on the computer and one on the X-Box. We have had our enjoyments worth. I think we're just looking for a slightly different take. There are going to be 100s of Clones in the coming years. And I think that is a great thing. They sold 435,000 copies alone on Christmas day. That's nuts. But it will develop to where the clones are even better than the original. They will miss some of the magic of playing that type of game for the first time, but they will become impressive. I just wanted to see if any had taken the next step yet.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2012, 04:18:58 pm »

Almost if not all of the ones on XBLA are straight clones with very shallow gimmicks and not really worth the money (and actually of rather questionable morality)

pilgrimboy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2012, 08:11:37 pm »

Well, Lootfest does appear to be totally different. My eight year old really likes it. It's bright with the ability to quickly build things. Combined with zombie invasions rather than random spawning. It has a different look and feel about it.

Total Miner does appear to be a direct ripoff. The recipes are even the same, yet the constructing items is a lot more difficult. More like Minecraft on the PC rather than on the X-Box. Yet it had 800,000 sales by May 2012. That's nuts. Although news stories are saying that Minecraft sold 435,000 on Christmas Day. That's also nuts. I'm really not seeing why it is better. I wonder how it sold so many copies.

And Miner Dig Deep is different too. It feels somewhat incomplete. It's more like Terraria without the fighting and a terribly small world. It's fun for a bit. But it feels not finished.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 08:13:43 pm by pilgrimboy »

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2012, 08:15:25 pm »

I spend most of my time in Minecraft at sea-level, but I don't curse my luck at having spent $30 per level.

...people have spent more than $10 on minecraft?

pilgrimboy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2012, 08:17:05 pm »

The 435,000 that bought it on Christmas spent at least $20 each.

What amazes me is that nobody has built a better Minecraft yet.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2012, 12:17:32 pm »

I think it would be tough to do so. I don't often hear theories on how the core Minecraft gameplay could be improved. It's just so simple and straightforward that anything missing can be modded in.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

pilgrimboy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2012, 03:05:22 pm »

Well, the modding could be made a lot easier for starters. I would love a system where I could check or uncheck what mods I want to play with this time. Also, a system within the game to download the mods would be nice.

The lan hasn't worked on our home system since 1.4.2. That could definitely be improved.

Also, the item selection is very minimal. But that may be the appeal.