Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Windows cannot find ".  (Read 603 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Windows cannot find ".
« on: December 29, 2012, 12:55:45 am »

Shit. It says this whenever I click on a folder. At all. Any file or folder gives me this error. I've already restarted explorer, and I'm kind of scared of restarting the computer for fear that I won't even be able to open Chrome.

EDIT: just checked again. My documents folder is gone. My documents folder is gone?????

EDIT 2: I deleted my documents folder somehow. False alarm. This is officially stupid!

EDIT 3: Locking because there's nothing to discuss, problem resolved, etc.

(i lol'd)
« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 01:09:50 am by Putnam »

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Windows cannot find ".
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2012, 01:07:03 am »

Shit. It says this whenever I click on a folder. At all. Any file or folder gives me this error. I've already restarted explorer, and I'm kind of scared of restarting the computer for fear that I won't even be able to open Chrome.

Might not be this, but just checking...  Have you recently had a virus and have just removed it?  I've seen something similar with "exe hooks", that previously routed the computer user 'through' the malware before actually running any program (usually letting the malware say "YourAntivirusProgram.exe is infected, <blah de blah de blah>" or "notepad.exe is infected, <blah de blah de blah>" or "cmd.exe is infected, <blah de blah de blah>"), and then the malware is removed, but the 'hook' remains, meaning nothing works.  (Easily fixed though, once you know how.)  Anyway, if something malware-like (or legitimate?) that 'hooks' the folder opening scheme has then been removed, then I could see that easily going foobar.

Alternatively, I'd personally be tempted to reboot and see what happens.  (But then I have all kinds of things at my disposal that'd help be recover if it didn't reboot, or got worse...  You probably don't have any of these things at hand, yourself.)  It might go wrong, or it might clear something (an inadvertently flipped flag or corrupted reference, in memory).

Something useful you could tell us is which particular version of Windows, though...  It might matter.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Windows cannot find ".
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2012, 01:09:20 am »

No, it's resolved. For future reference, I fixed it by restoring my documents folder from the recycle bin.