Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dragon Nest on Steam, new MMOARPG on steam  (Read 2521 times)

Valid_Dark

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wont let me Dream, I wont let you sleep.
    • View Profile
Dragon Nest on Steam, new MMOARPG on steam
« on: December 28, 2012, 10:12:32 pm »

Dragon Quest is a action-RPG MMO that was just released on steam.

~Dragon Nest is a free-of-charge Fantasy 3D Action Online Game developed by Eyedentity Games. It uses a non-targeting combat system ensuring that players have complete control over every single one of their character's movements. Dragon Nest requires users to advance their characters by teaming up and traveling into instanced dungeons.~Wikipedia

It's a Nexon game, and is like a mix between Vindictus and Mabinogi.

I'm going to be playing on the Leviatha server if any of you want to join me.
We can get a Bay12 guild started.

Here is some info on the classes and stuff.
http://dragonnest.nexon.net/guides/class-guide

and the game has full controller support, so I'm going to be playing it with a gamepad.
MMO's that play well with gamepads are awesome.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 10:15:17 pm by Valid_Dark »
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't

My milkshake brings all the criminals to justice.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dragon Nest on Steam, new MMOARPG on steam
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2012, 10:37:33 pm »

It is sad but I think that Dungeon Fighters Online done "Clerics" the best out of every action RPG MMO game.

Making them not only not needed but making them capable of being outright offensive able to more then solo entire dungeons.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2012, 11:10:13 pm »

It is sad but I think that Dungeon Fighters Online done "Clerics" the best out of every action RPG MMO game.

Making them not only not needed but making them capable of being outright offensive able to more then solo entire dungeons.
Oh cool, one of those games.

"Shit, we need a druid. Anyone seen a druid?"
"Yeah, but last I saw he was soloing this dungeon, dunno why he'd need us..."
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2012, 11:18:49 pm »

More along the lines that clerics in DFO are more frontline brawlers than healbots and teamcomp seemed (considerably) less important than individual player skill. You might need four bad enough dude(ette)s, but you either didn't need a set team composition or any class could shift itself enough to fit into whatever grouping of skillsets you did need.

More accurately than that, I don't even remember which of the critters in DFO was something even approaching a healbot/support monkey. That kind of stand-offish archtype dunnit really fit in with DFO's aesthetics.

And... yeah. DFO's clerics are one of the best "holy" class implementations I've seen, insofar as style goes. They got hella' moxy. Pick up dat crucifix and beat the shit out of things with it, priest-o man. Or just walk up and deck that giant monster thing bare handed, whatever. Dude gives no cares.

Whatever its faults, DFO's player classes definitely have a pretty solid sense of style and flash lacking in a lot of other games.

E: Speaking of that, why would I be playing this dragon nest thing when I could be playing DFO instead? Both Nexon games with the problems that entails, but what makes this nest thing sexier than DFO?
« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 11:21:48 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2012, 11:23:48 pm »

Pretty sure Dragon's nest is in (Not terrible looking) 3D, so if that's your thing then there ya go!

I don't really know much about the game besides that so uhhhhhh I dunno other stuff maybe! :P

Might check it out, I've been fairly curious about it for a while.

Valid_Dark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2012, 12:55:37 am »

ok, yeah I take it back, this game isn't as awesome as I had thought.
if it had better controller support it would be, but playing with a controller on this feels clanky
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2012, 01:26:58 am »

I played it for like 2 days with a friend.  Or rather, I played for 1 day with a friend, and logged in the next day and she didn't want to play, and I didn't blame her.  My main issues with it are 1: It's a grind.  Even on the higher difficulties, the enemies aren't difficult.  Many of them are just plain easy, while others get simple buffs.  If you can kill X enemy, then you can easily kill X enemy with +50% HP, but it just takes longer.  And that's what it all comes down to.  The bits I played had no variety in them, it was just hotkey spam on non-action MMO, except with a little more moving around as you do it.  2: The archers have no range.  Literally.  I love playing as any ranged class, so I know my stuff when I say "this is not ranged combat".  Even though many stages are larger, the archer would only have like 3-4 times the reach as a sword.  It was utterly underwhelming to see my longbow getting up point blank before shooting at anything.  3: "It gets good after level X."  I heard that.  I couldn't be arsed to stay around that long.  If they have any good content, why not make it readily available?  The grind to get up to that level is akin to sitting on the bus as you're going to the theatre to watch a documentary.  The ride is crippling boredom and the destination isn't entertaining, but merely holds your attention.

I did try several classes, to make sure I was doing it right.  They seemed to have no real differences between them.  I mean, yeah, one's got a bow and the other a sword, but there wasn't any point where I hopped into a new character and said, "Oh wow, I need to watch the tutorial for this class!"

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2012, 03:17:06 am »

Welp, that saves me some time. :D

EDIT: I do want to give props to the korean MMO scene for moving from generic grindfest stuff with maybe PvP like RO or Maplestory to action MMOs, even if some of them are crap, though.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2012, 10:02:41 am »

MMOARPG? That sounds like the sound a dragon would make when you wake it from a nice dream.

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2012, 12:33:48 pm »

Been playing it before it got on Steam. Fun game, a lot more fun when you have other people to play alongside. Only thing I don't like currently is the frequent disconnects. If you're in any of the towns (especially Carderock Pass) on a busy day, get your ass moving, because you'll probably be disconnected real fast. I've noticed that you don't get the "Disconnected from World" issue when you're in an instanced field or a dungeon for some reason, so get your shopping and repairs done and get out quick.

Nexon's servers just can't handle that many players - I don't think they expected so many people to play it right away...

PrimusRibbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2012, 02:51:11 pm »

I was watching Dragon's Nest eagerly throughout development, then when it came out the other year I quit after playing twice :(

After spending 10 hours of solo whacking easy junk enemies, I was done. If you can't make the initial areas of your "fastest action MMO on the market" fast or even mildly interesting, then I have serious concerns about your team's game design abilities.

Came for fast action co-op, left after slow gameplay, tedious grinding, and no reason for team play.
grammar is for essays and letters and second FREEDOM TO POST except obscene material
THE ONLY THING THAT'S GONNA GRIND IN THIS GAME IS YOUR ASS ON THE PAVEMENT

Valid_Dark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2012, 02:55:47 pm »

I played it for maybe 2 hours and uninstalled it.  I was looking for a good mmo to play with a controller, but the controller support in this was clearly an afterthought

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2012, 05:45:41 pm »

I was watching Dragon's Nest eagerly throughout development, then when it came out the other year I quit after playing twice :(

After spending 10 hours of solo whacking easy junk enemies, I was done. If you can't make the initial areas of your "fastest action MMO on the market" fast or even mildly interesting, then I have serious concerns about your team's game design abilities.

Came for fast action co-op, left after slow gameplay, tedious grinding, and no reason for team play.

Don't know if the earlier versions had all of the features, but...

Have you played Abyss difficulty? It's really, really hard. The enemies attack more often, do more damage, and take craptons of hits to beat. If you want a challenge, stop playing on easy modes.
Gameplay is hardly slow - I get hit very often, and if you just sit there and don't dodge, you WILL die a lot faster.
Grinding is... yes. Grinding. After a few levels, it gets slow, but that happens to all games. If it didn't take a while to level up, you'd be done before you knew it. But yes, nobody likes grinding.
Having a party helps loads in the harder modes (which, clearly, you must've skipped), making it almost NECESSARY to have a party of 3-4 people to clear harder dungeons and get more xp faster.