Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dwarven Railroad  (Read 1698 times)

Silicoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarven Railroad
« on: December 28, 2012, 04:33:43 pm »

As a megaproject I want to build a minecart railroad between my dwarven civilization's fort to another fortress that I plan to make at the end.
I have a few questions:
Is it possible to link locations side by side?
If you pump water out of one embark will it flow(into the next embark zone) if you embark right next to it?
How do these "impulse ramps" I hear about work?

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Railroad
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2012, 04:40:51 pm »

Its impossible to connect sites.

If your computer is really beefy though it is possible to have one really big site.

I've never head of an impulse ramp.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2012, 04:49:38 pm »

If EmbarkAnywhere works for 34.11, then you should be able to overlap your sites.

As ofr impule ramps, just look at the thread. It basically makes it so rollers are obsolete. If you want to use the cart in adventure mode, I'd not add the fortifications in the plan.

Silicoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2012, 05:05:15 pm »

I meant to continue a minecart track from one map to the other.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2012, 05:21:30 pm »

Well. If you can build minecart tracks at the edge of a map, then yes. But I'd be careful about powering it at all; Ramp power is the best way to go here because mechanics are weird in adventure mode.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2012, 05:22:45 pm »

I meant to continue a minecart track from one map to the other.

I believe if you keep track of the exact tile the track ends at (being run right through to the edge of the map), you should be able to link up the tracks. I am not absolutely sure of this, however.

If you want to get a long embark, do a 2x16 embark, or a 1x16 embark if you have some hack or other the name of which I've forgotten.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Baccar Wozat

• Bay Watcher
  • [VAMPOW]
    • View Profile
    • My Fortresses
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2012, 05:26:37 pm »

The problem with a minecart railroad between two places is, DF itself can only simulate ONE area at a time, so the cart, with whatever/whoever was in it, would go right up to the edge of your area, then (potentially) disappear.

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2012, 05:55:11 pm »

That's true, for now.

We're simply planning ahead for the time in which DF will be able to track every item, creature, weather, tide, tile, etc. in the world simultaneously, at no loss to FPS.

Fake Edit: I'd nearly said "at real time", but if a day in DF took a day of RL time to render, that'd get really boring.

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
  • UNDEAD-CANNOT BE ATTACKED
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2012, 04:56:41 am »

If you want to get a long embark, do a 2x16 embark, or a 1x16 embark if you have some hack or other the name of which I've forgotten.
Nano Fortress.

For a 16 embark tile long map, you'll need 192 stones to make the blocks needed for a straight track, so 250~300 should see you right for any extra bits. Seven dedicated masons could probably do this quite quickly.

An "impulse ramp" is just a fake ramp that accelerates a minecart without needing to change levels:
#
═══╚═══
Here, the corner track (╚) is a NE track ramp with a wall (#) next to it. As a minecart moves from west to east, it effectively falls down the ramp.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2012, 10:18:15 am »

Next to it on one of the entry / exit sides (it's displayed on the diagram, but not emphasised). The impulse ramp has to be capable of functioning as a normal ramp, and to do that it needs to have a supporting wall in the correct position.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2012, 12:13:24 pm »

The problem with a minecart railroad between two places is, DF itself can only simulate ONE area at a time, so the cart, with whatever/whoever was in it, would go right up to the edge of your area, then (potentially) disappear.

Not in adventure mode :3

DS

• Bay Watcher
  • DS cancels Attend Party: no floor space.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2012, 01:35:07 pm »

Precisely what I was thinking.

Theoretically, this could be achieved by very carefully aligning the tracks on separate but adjacent maps. I'm not sure it's possible to link the tracks at the map's edge, but I certainly haven't tried. In any case, by using a ramp, it would certainly be possible to jump the edge and land on the tracks in the next map without losing any forward momentum.

This has piqued my interest. I'm going to try some experiments along these lines soon.
Finished: Weatherwires, the Last Mountainhome. A tragic mix of Children of Men, City of Ember, and, uh, magma.
Stymied: Correspondence from Syrupurns, a prematurely ended narrative, told through annual updates.
In Progress: Roomcarnage, a fortress clinging to life beneath a haunted glacier.

Silicoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2012, 04:03:11 pm »

Precisely what I was thinking.

Theoretically, this could be achieved by very carefully aligning the tracks on separate but adjacent maps. I'm not sure it's possible to link the tracks at the map's edge, but I certainly haven't tried. In any case, by using a ramp, it would certainly be possible to jump the edge and land on the tracks in the next map without losing any forward momentum.

This has piqued my interest. I'm going to try some experiments along these lines soon.

That's pretty much what I want to try do...  I want to create other forts and transfer the resources to a main fort using a "traincart"(with higher capacity)  to construct a fort with resources that normally maybe insufficient such as "candy".  I also want the tracks to be a guide for my adventurer to find the forts so I can "clear out" whatever caused my fort to fall, since I want the main fort to be in a terrifying biome.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2012, 04:22:44 pm »

That's pretty much what I want to try do...  I want to create other forts and transfer the resources to a main fort using a "traincart"(with higher capacity)  to construct a fort with resources that normally maybe insufficient such as "candy".  I also want the tracks to be a guide for my adventurer to find the forts so I can "clear out" whatever caused my fort to fall, since I want the main fort to be in a terrifying biome.
Your phrasing here suggests that you want something that's impossible, unless your adventurer him/herself is your "traincart". You can't move resources between forts without using an adventurer. While you could use the tracks as a guide, I was thinking you could go to the furthest fort from the main fort, load up on the goodies there, and hop into the minecart and ride it to the next fortress in the chain, where you'd pick up another batch of goodies before hopping back on the minecart. Once you reach the end of the track, on the Local tile just outside your main fort embark, you get off the cart and drop the accumulated wealth for your starting seven to find.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2012, 05:32:20 pm »

Probably after marking the area as a lair so you don't get the sprawl.
Pages: [1] 2