Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]

Author Topic: Rant on "Trolling" and the misuse that pervades forums.  (Read 17396 times)

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
Re: Rant on "Trolling" and the misuse that pervades forums.
« Reply #120 on: December 29, 2012, 10:06:12 pm »

My brain melted from reading this statement.
if your calming it did mean that then back it up

WAT.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Wolfy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: December 29, 2012, 10:09:03 pm »

But I've done none of that, I am talking about the misuse of trolling and am saying its not a misuse, just like if you make a thread about saying that gay means happy, someone coming in talking about the world means is NOT derailing it

I've read what you posted, I've kept it civil, made no insults (you on the other hand have said I've reached new levels of stupid which is not very civil IMO)

if you want me to stop the "semantics" (your whole thread is about semantics) then fine I will

I'm a bad speller, no amount of telling me how bad I am is going to make me better. People have been trying for over two decades. English is hard for me, its like how some cant get math, i cant get English.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: December 29, 2012, 10:16:23 pm »

I don't feel like Wolfy is doing anything against the rules.
I don't agree with him, but that isn't a reason to get him banned.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Wolfy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: December 29, 2012, 10:20:52 pm »

just want to point out, I did not like the way trolling was going, when it came what you claim it still is, I'm old enough to remember when trolling was bugging the new guys. but I got voer it matured, and realized that its going to chnage no matter how much we try to stop it, wait ten years form now I doubt trolling will even be in the same catorgroy
I'm a bad speller, no amount of telling me how bad I am is going to make me better. People have been trying for over two decades. English is hard for me, its like how some cant get math, i cant get English.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: December 29, 2012, 10:24:44 pm »

I know you have the very considerate disclaimer in your signature, Wolfy, but it is very hard to understand most of your posts. I recommend running them through this site then hitting "replace" over and over. That quickly fixes most of the common errors in less than 30 seconds.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #125 on: December 29, 2012, 10:25:33 pm »

But I've done none of that
I have to say this, troll means what ever the hell who ever says it wants it to mean
Troll means anymore things now, and no amount of "saying other wise" is going to change it
Besides lets be honest correct English will never truly be at home on the internet and then you get in to the fact that pop here is soda but not up in north america etc, in the long run don't worry what others think troll means , it will carnage with the next generation and the next and the next
I am talking about the misuse of trolling and am saying its not a misuse, just like if you make a thread about saying that gay means happy, someone coming in talking about the world means is NOT derailing it

I've read what you posted, I've kept it civil, made no insults (you on the other hand have said I've reached new levels of stupid which is not very civil IMO)
To me a troll is someone who goes on the a forum to bug and or annoy, in ANYWAY possible. I don't expect any one to follow that  but the point is that I think the qualifications for a troll are such and such just as guy above me has Another way

its kind of like what makes someone a jerk, some would put being blunt, I how ever dont.
Just like how it's in my opinion you gave someone boiling eye cancer, nor do I find you an amicable person.

if you want me to stop the "semantics" (your whole thread is about semantics) then fine I will
You're seriously arguing semantics while saying you will stop the semantics.

Nothing you have posted has had any positive input or expressed any alternative viewpoint.

It has all been unintelligible worthless semantics about a word that's been misused.

Nothing you've posted has had any merit on any scale.

Multiple people here have told you to stop.

You're entire premise is based on insanity; it has no reason.

Everything you've posted has been off topic.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: December 29, 2012, 10:26:54 pm »

Flaming and trolling are not the same.
Trolling has a defining characteristic of being dishonest, in order to upset others. Flaming is based around JUST insults. There is no trickery necessary, I could flame away at someone while being totally truthful.

I don't think dishonesty is the defining characteristic. Flaming someone isn't always trolling, but the list specifies flaming someone in specific ways which (imo) certainly are - basically, flaming someone out of anger or stupidity or to try and win an argument probably isn't trolling.

Flaming someone JUST to piss them off? Definitely trolling. Yeah, it lacks any real deception - it's like the pun of the trolling world. But under the right circumstances, it can still be incredibly effective.

LW, Wolfy's comments may not make much sense, but I'm certainly not seeing them as a derail. I don't see how you can claim they are off topic, when you're thread is about the use of the word "trolling" and that's what they've been talking about the whole time.

Sure, sure, you did claim in the OP that this thread was supposed to be a wankfest where everybody posts about how they agree with you, but that isn't the sort of guideline people here are generally expected to follow. If this isn't what the thread is supposed to be about, about what qualifies as "misuse" of the word trolling...

Well, I've got no fucking clue what it's about!
« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 10:28:38 pm by GlyphGryph »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #127 on: December 29, 2012, 10:29:29 pm »

LW, Wolfy's comments may not make much sense, but I'm certainly not seeing them as a derail. I don't see how you can claim they are off topic, when you're thread is about the use of the word "trolling" and that's what they've been talking about the whole time.
When the thread is about the misuse of "trolling" as a word, and you're arguing it's pointless, pizza, Marjory, circular logic, gay and honestly who knows what, you have severely devalued the worth of any future discussion.

Especially moreso when it clearly describes its desire to ironically troll.
Thats what I was going to say, he rants on one side, I rant on the other, its quite fun.

Sure, sure, you did claim in the OP that this thread was supposed to be a wankfest where everybody posts about how they agree with you, but that isn't the sort of guideline people here are generally expected to follow. If this isn't what the thread is supposed to be about, about what qualifies as "misuse" of the word trolling...

Well, I've got no fucking clue what it's about!
You think I'm looking for a hugbox? I don't expect you to know anything about me, but that's just down right rude. There was a reason why I entertained Wolfy for so long; because he disagreed.
And through the past three page nothing, ABSOLUTELY NOTHING of merit was gained.
That's not discussion. That's not any persons sharing opinions, that is just derailing.

It's about how trolling originally meant one thing.

Then it got used to mean everything annoying.

Is that so hard to understand?
« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 10:32:43 pm by Loud Whispers »

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: December 29, 2012, 10:32:14 pm »

Dishonesty isn't a defining characteristic of trolling, not the only one. In hindsight, I meant something closer to insincerity; as in dishonesty of character. It is unlikely that someone would be trolling while also being completely sincere about what they're saying. If it looks like they are, they're probably just stupid.

EDIT: So what you're saying is that we're all just derailing this thread to piss you off, rather than because we want to share and explain our opinions? Gee, that sure is nice to put in a thread where you got upset about someone misjudging your character.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 10:34:47 pm by Graknorke »
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: December 29, 2012, 10:43:55 pm »

Dishonesty isn't a defining characteristic of trolling, not the only one. In hindsight, I meant something closer to insincerity; as in dishonesty of character. It is unlikely that someone would be trolling while also being completely sincere about what they're saying. If it looks like they are, they're probably just stupid.
I can see that, then.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #130 on: December 29, 2012, 10:49:56 pm »

EDIT: So what you're saying is that we're all just derailing this thread to piss you off, rather than because we want to share and explain our opinions? Gee, that sure is nice to put in a thread where you got upset about someone misjudging your character.
I looked through my posts, it appears at no point did I get upset that someone was saying I created a wankbox, nor did I say you were derailing it.
After reading through 130 posts, I can honestly say everything Wolfy has written has been shockingly void of explaination, when the one thing I sought to get this topic up for was to get opinions and facts to people who have not seen them before, and to receive facts in return.
To that end, it was successful.
In gathering any continued discussion, it has failed miserably, with Wolfy failing to respond to all warnings beforehand about constantly posting:
  • It's useless to define trolling, you can't misuse it, it can be used to mean anything.

In the same rehashed form again and again with decreasing clarity, ignoring all opinions of others despite receiving that courtesy and being reminded that the thread title is not "Rant on the abstract nature of words and how we should get rid of dictionaries because they change."

That kills all chance of discussion and actually sharing opinions, because suddenly the focus point becomes a discussion on how Wolfy is making people's eyes bleed.

Not a single person actually managed to share a differing opinion. And I don't think that's for lack of opinions; just that no one wanted to put up with the ensuing shit storm.

Oh and if you don't know my character, I try to keep as objective and reserved as possible when making judgements. I'd search for the post where I was talking about the importance of neutrality in a defining word, but the effort is barely worth just saying it directly.

If you don't mind me getting preachy, I sincerely hope one day we will get to an age where people don't see things in terms of "you're wrong and I'm right," and instead view information as it is, and making something useful of it. These are things you share, and that was the purpose of this thread, as pointless as it may seem, as it was a prevailing misconception that held true for a large portion of internet slang.
The antithesis of this is evident.
This thread is dead.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]