Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9

Author Topic: Rant on "Trolling" and the misuse that pervades forums.  (Read 17399 times)

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
Re: Rant on "Trolling" and the misuse that pervades forums.
« Reply #45 on: December 29, 2012, 06:23:33 am »

Your assuming your definitions is still valid, if for what ever reason the dentition of trolling turned to fishing for cats, then that means the act of trolling is fishing for cats. there is no reason to say "trolling end goal is X" because the definition changes
Ok. You are arguing from two different positions here. You're basically saying "definitions change" but you're also saying "once those definitions change you cannot continue to use the old definition." Either we can use whatever definitions we want or we can all follow the accepted one, but it can't be both and you're contradicting yourself.

I happen to agree with the former, but just because definitions are mutable doesn't mean people don't have the right to object to those changes.

edit: Seriously. Rereading your post it is the strangest mix of prescriptivism and descriptivism I have ever seen..
« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 06:29:02 am by fqllve »
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Spinning Fly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 29, 2012, 07:40:01 am »

Loud Whispers, I'd like to know where the your exact definition of troll comes from.

I couldn't find any relevant definition on Merriam-Webster, Oxford Dictionary says it's "deliberately provocative online posting intended to incite an angry response". Wikipedia says something similar. I don't see the need for it to be done "cleverly, with good humour and well thought out actions".
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent. The competent use magma.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #47 on: December 29, 2012, 07:44:03 am »

Loud Whispers, I'd like to know where the your exact definition of troll comes from.
Internet, gratuitous internet.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 29, 2012, 02:34:34 pm »

A troll is someone who intentionally trolls
You just used the word in the definition. O_O

Lies and slander.

Regardless, I continue to be unable to understand about 50+% of each of LWs posts, so I can't say much more than that.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 29, 2012, 02:46:45 pm »

he mad

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #50 on: December 29, 2012, 04:20:37 pm »

Is Edward Khil a troll with his trololololo song?
Whatever he is, he is missed ;-;

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 29, 2012, 05:29:06 pm »

it changes words from what they mean to what they don't mean
I don't speak for dictionaries of other English variants but this is entirely the opposite of a dictionary.

This is the best idea in all the history of mankind ! Making a dictionnary of what a word isn't ! Who begins ?

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 29, 2012, 05:44:46 pm »

it changes words from what they mean to what they don't mean
I don't speak for dictionaries of other English variants but this is entirely the opposite of a dictionary.
This is the best idea in all the history of mankind ! Making a dictionnary of what a word isn't ! Who begins ?

troll - n - troll

This topic makes me want to do things.

An article about a "professional troll"
I'm okay with living in this world. A network where everyone keeps their content locked, and everyone carries around a set of lockpicking devices and has to make more on the spot because they're expected to get in. Rejecting the 18- and 20-sided pegs from your 19-sided hole.
Government is no more than a color of anarchy, arbitrary rules on who gets power and who gets punished and why. Nothing really works so why keep pretending?

So is the Phelps family bad trolls?

Wolfy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 29, 2012, 06:05:49 pm »

Ok. You are arguing from two different positions here. You're basically saying "definitions change" but you're also saying "once those definitions change you cannot continue to use the old definition." Either we can use whatever definitions we want or we can all follow the accepted one, but it can't be both and you're contradicting yourself.
You misread, my point was I was going form his prospective where there is ONE DEFINITION and you MUST use that one, in that case he has to assume his definition is still "the definition"  when there is no reason to.
I'm a bad speller, no amount of telling me how bad I am is going to make me better. People have been trying for over two decades. English is hard for me, its like how some cant get math, i cant get English.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 29, 2012, 06:09:01 pm »

... and lo, it came to pass that yet another thread on bay12 transforms into an argument on semantics, when the meaning of the terms used should be clear for all to see due to the context of discussion, and no argument over them need take place.
This is a blank sig.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 29, 2012, 06:10:09 pm »

THIS THREAD IS ABOUT SEMANTICS
Rant About The Words Please

Wolfy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 29, 2012, 06:13:14 pm »

Thats what I was going to say, he rants on one side, I rant on the other, its quite fun.
I'm a bad speller, no amount of telling me how bad I am is going to make me better. People have been trying for over two decades. English is hard for me, its like how some cant get math, i cant get English.

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 29, 2012, 06:14:00 pm »

THIS THREAD IS ABOUT SEMANTICS
Rant About The Words Please
Noooo .... please stop ... caps starting .... words ....

Wolfy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 29, 2012, 06:16:46 pm »

I nearby request we change it form troll to baiter, since trolling came form fishing, and most Torllls "bait" anyways why not make what they are what they do? bait

Are opposed  nay

all for hell yes

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 29, 2012, 06:17:50 pm »

Nay. Your argument is self defeating. Also, why should we use a different word from the one used in common parlance?
This is a blank sig.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9