Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12

Author Topic: [Suggestion Game] Demon  (Read 16744 times)

3_14159

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[Suggestion Game] Demon
« on: December 28, 2012, 12:37:30 pm »

Previous | Table of contents | Next

Maps

Spoiler: Glossary (click to show/hide)

Original Post:

Power.

Power is what most people are searching for, deep down in their hearts. And power is what you're searching for, too. The right reason to try and become a wizard. Well, you weren't forming that thought when you began your apprenticeship, four years ago. Now, however, it seems entirely appropriate, and entirely logical. Surely not due to the influence of your master, as he isn't one of the best of the profession, actually not even in the middle field. Plus, he's very cautious. In fact, he doesn't let you advance as quickly as you'd deserve, hampering your rightful progress!
Enfuriated by that, half a year ago you decided to take matters into your own hands, and murder into something's hands, claws, tentacles or whatever. After all, isn't that the logical, the natural path towards a higher status in the wizardry ways? It clearly is. First, you spent nearly two months deciding whom to summon. There'd been several types of demons outlined in the old books your master accidentally 'lost', but through all of the surrounding texts it became very clear that those categories only were imposed onto them by humans, the demons as different from another as fire and ice, day and night, pain and ecstasy, or lion and funny little critter one finds under stones, whose name you can't remember now. Those 'categories' were:

- Elements: Each element has demons associated with them. Their personality reflects said element, as does their magic. Fire demons are fiery and impulsive, ice demons are cold and calculating, earth demons are slow and patient, and water demons unpredictable and adapting. Their magic and their symbolisms are changing accordingly.

- Trickery: Manipulating mortals is their speciality, and they are easy to summon, but hard to control. Summoning them requires great care! They may appear in all forms, and change their bodies even easier than other demons.

- Rage: More choleric than even the most choleric human being, great care needs to be taken to restrain them, ideally using double or more security measures. They are quick to anger, and in their anger nearly unstoppable, but can be tricked easily.

- Chaos: The ever changing aspect of nature, and of the human mind. They can't be controlled, and they can't be predicted. They may try and devour you whole, and the next moment, try and change a stone to a glass of cool water, only to blast it away and summon a bucket of leaves.

- Death: If this is what waits for one after a man dies, we surely are lucky not to know about it! They are dark, and cold, and their only goal is to reap mortals. They command the dead, and may talk to them, or even raise them.

- Sin: No matter what your sin is, there's a demon for you. As varied as the sins themselves, those demons can't even be brought to a common denominator, except that they themselves follow their sin, and prefer nothing more than to make the mortals follow it, too, with often deadly effects.

Of course, that wasn't written as concise, but stretched out to hundreds of pages, with sentences long enough to hang oneself with, and a hundred warnings and urges for caution. Why, you asked yourself many, many times, can't those people just write normal, and plain?

Afterwards, you spent nearly all of the time with researching pentagrams, herbs, and holy symbols, to find yourself protected from the demons. After all, you wouldn't want to end a heap of ash, a stone statue of yourself, or being dragged screaming towards hell itself, wouldn't you?
The last month, you spent waiting for the perfect opportunity, for your master to go away longer than an hour. And now, it came. Your master went away for two days, on one of those errant runs even you'd be too good for, not that he'd take you with him, no. You're not even angry any more, not that you ever were. Angry, that is. At that old fool, angry at... Quiet, now. Concentration. You need that, for the avoidance of that being dragged to hell business.
Now, you look out of the window a last time, and close your window. Your master is away for a day, and none of the others like to disrupt you. To be sure, your door is locked, and with the windows closed, too, you're sure that nobody is watching you. You check the pentagram again, and to make sure it's completely solid, you retrace the chalk lines with another, new piece of chalk, following circle after circle, loops, and runes. Wood lice, you suddenly remember, cringing while painting the last rune. That's the word you were searching for, previously. Opposite to lions. Ha! You knew it, your memory is very, very dependable, and just another sign for your superiority. You straighten yourself, and your very mystic robe with the runes you painted on them, and take a last look in the book lying on the table left of you, opened on the page depicting the demon you'll summon, and raise your hands, beginning the summoning.

Spoiler: OOC (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 05:50:56 pm by 3_14159 »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: [Suggestion Game] Demon.
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2012, 12:47:20 pm »

Trickery Demon, summoned from a barren island tower.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
Re: [Suggestion Game] Demon.
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2012, 12:50:05 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Protip: colours are used to bring out parts of the post, not to write the entire post in a single colour that serves no purpose and actually inhibits reading.

And, while I'm here, periods in the title aren't a very good idea either.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 12:53:00 pm by Dariush »

3_14159

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [Suggestion Game] Demon
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2012, 01:50:59 pm »

@Dariush: Sorry for that, I did not think at Darkling; I attempted to better contrast this with the later non-introductory posts. Changed it.

javierpwn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2012, 02:04:18 pm »

Death demon, summoned from a catacombs

scapheap

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a good guy...girl. My horse just eat souls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2012, 03:08:42 pm »

Death demon, a forest near a little town.
You were planning to have a 15 year old magical girl kill Witches by drinking them under the table!? It's original, at least.
Morpheus, a magic girls game

Jbg97

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2012, 03:14:26 pm »

Chaos Demon, big city.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Owlbread
Everything will burn. Everything must burn.
Quote from: Girlinhat
The science of burning innocent children could be perfected into clockwork.
Quote from: Insanity X
And that is how Jbg97 saved dwarfmas

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2012, 03:21:55 pm »

Trickery Demon, summoned from an island stronghold.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

rabidgam3r

• Bay Watcher
  • bruh
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2012, 03:57:23 pm »

As the ancients of Bay12 said: Thiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiis
Even if he hadn't brought the server down in a ball of flaming, slow-mo gibbing corgis

scapheap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2012, 03:58:41 pm »

This sound good.
You were planning to have a 15 year old magical girl kill Witches by drinking them under the table!? It's original, at least.

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2012, 04:00:04 pm »

Yeah.

I think the slaughter part is what made them angry.
OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2012, 04:02:11 pm »

...That's the most support I've gotten in a while.

I suggest that the GM combine the setting ideas. That way, people don't feel left out so much.
Sig

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2012, 04:04:41 pm »

In the catacombs of a barren island fortress whose lake shore is by a small but bustling metropolis?

I think the slaughter part is what made them angry.
OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

scapheap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2012, 04:14:38 pm »

In the catacombs of a barren island fortress whose lake shore is by a small but bustling metropolis?
works for me.

3_14159

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2012, 04:19:18 pm »

I suggest that the GM combine the setting ideas. That way, people don't feel left out so much.
So do I. Island, consisting of two small villages (mostly fishermen), and a ruined castle, one of whose towers you are currently being summoned to. Of course, you do not know that yet.
And, by the way, you are a trickery demon.

Even without any magical talent, one could feel the difference almost immediately. The air gets some kind of electrical charge, lamps are getting dim, and you can already feel drops of sweat forming on your back. Surely a magic effect, because you'd never be nervous, of course. From the pentagram's corner's, black mist drifts up, forming several tentacles which float menacingly around. The candles you placed at each of the five points are burning brightly, with a red, unnatural colour, and the room fills with a smell reminiscent of old parchment.
The tentacles now begin to disappear in the middle, forming a rift in space itself. You can see nothing through it, not the other side of the room, nothing. But though it is dark, and the blackest black you have ever seen, you know that there is an eternity through that portal. an eternity lies through that portal, endless hell... endless suffering...

Endless time. Your time. You are barely aware of the time flow on the outside, not of the long time since demons last roamed the earth. Or of the small lives of mortals, busying about. Endless waiting. Waiting for being summoned the first time, being conjured into the mortal's world.

You feel a... a poke? Why someone would try and poke you, you don't know for several seconds, then remember. Summoning. Finally. Before the Call's second wave can arrive, you already jump into the mortal world.
The air hits you like a hammer, just like the sound. You shy away from the portal's step. You need several seconds to acclimatize to those new feelings. So that's how the mortal world feels like? Strange. You take a smell, testing the scent threads. Ocean. Stone. Forest. Clouds. Sand. And... nervous sweat? You open an eye, and see before you a, for lack of a better word, human. Small. A robe made for two of his size, with crudely stitched-on mystical symbols. At least, you think they are. Probably not old, the human that is. You're not sure. Several furniture items - wood - you no longer notice once you see the book on a table. It is an old book, repaired two or three times - not by an expert. But it does seem to depict you. That's what that human seems to have used to summon you. Taking a metaphorical deep breath, you prepare to step over the step, chosing the form as which to appear.

Spoiler: OOC (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 11:18:28 am by 3_14159 »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12