Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Behold: Sarveshginet: Furnacecrewed  (Read 2565 times)

tomtherat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Behold: Sarveshginet: Furnacecrewed
« on: December 28, 2012, 08:19:17 am »

Sadly, I'm abandoning this one.  No matter what I do, the caravans won't come back and I can't get a king to move in.  This thing will just never feel *complete* without one.

Before killing it I thought I'd share.

From the top to the bottom:

The apiary and spire - http://imgur.com/a/xLUji
Upper craft levels - http://imgur.com/a/shraA
Entrance + Military wing - http://imgur.com/a/ZDlls
Outer walls - http://imgur.com/a/KJFI0
Lower craft levels + living - http://imgur.com/a/LOoWk
The Deeps- http://imgur.com/a/8e2UO

34 levels of fortress, my double-central staircase design for maximum efficiency.  Gold and marble staircases running up and down.

Looking forward to DF2013!

Urist McMontros

• Bay Watcher
  • HHNNNNNNNNNNNNNG
    • View Profile
Re: Behold: Sarveshginet: Furnacecrewed
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2012, 09:41:06 am »

God damn, I'd be happy just to get a fortress half as good as that...

All I've ever dreamed of is to have a proper set up...

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2012, 10:20:07 am »

No matter what I do, the caravans won't come back and I can't get a king to move in.

What does your civilization screen say for that fort?

tomtherat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2012, 10:45:03 am »

No matter what I do, the caravans won't come back and I can't get a king to move in.

What does your civilization screen say for that fort?

Got a dwarf, elf and human civilization in there.  Becoming the capitol says I'm missing 5k in offerings, despite having offered over 100k to prior caravans.

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2012, 11:03:21 am »

What about the leaders?

Also, you did specifically designate the goods to be offered to your monarch with 'o', right?

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2012, 11:05:11 am »

;)

Great job man!  I see that you use the Z axis to your advantage very well!
Dwarf Fortress: Your game is working on giving NPC's lives. Our game is working on giving them a working nervous system.
Aahhh I can't find the fish cakes in the bunny level, they keep getting enraged and I don't have any holy hand grenades
The Age of Myth: Goldenhold

tomtherat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2012, 11:05:53 am »

What about the leaders?

Also, you did specifically designate the goods to be offered to your monarch with 'o', right?

The dwarf civ has a Queen, indicates that I have an active trade agreement (last update 4 years prior) and shows that we have traded quite a bit of goods.  Oh, 147k of offerings listed in the civ screen.  :/

tomtherat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2012, 11:20:07 am »

;)

Great job man!  I see that you use the Z axis to your advantage very well!

The goal was that most if not all finished good stockpiles are less than 20 squares from the trade depots.  Having the "finished" goods stockpiles between the two staircases on every level means moving things to and from the original location of the trade depots -really- fast.  Plus having dwarves walk by dozens of gold statues no matter where they want to go never hurts.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2012, 07:30:20 pm »

Wait!

I think I see your problem!

It is not the gifts, it is the lack of roads. Royalty require a road of a certain value (e.g either rather big, or small but made of gold bars). Maybe I was looking in the wrong place (I only looked at the images) but I saw no roads, build some and the queen will come . I think...
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

tomtherat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2012, 09:46:02 am »

It is not the gifts, it is the lack of roads. Royalty require a road of a certain value (e.g either rather big, or small but made of gold bars). Maybe I was looking in the wrong place (I only looked at the images) but I saw no roads, build some and the queen will come . I think...

Naw, I got the road leading from the inner moat to the outer wall.  In the "becoming the capitol" screen the road requirement is satisfied.  :(

Nasikabatrachus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who watchdwarfs the watchdwarves?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2012, 02:28:45 pm »

Naw, I got the road leading from the inner moat to the outer wall.  In the "becoming the capitol" screen the road requirement is satisfied.  :(

What version are you all using? I got my vampire king without building a single road, and there's no road requirement on the "becoming the capital" screen for me.

Also, have you set your population cap below 120 140? There's a population requirement as well.

The fort has to be a metropolis:

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Metropolis

Apparently there are even labor requirements, which I did not realize.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 02:30:21 pm by Nasikabatrachus »
"I want to have goblins about me, for I am courageous. The courage which scareth away ghosts, createth for itself goblins--it wanteth to laugh." Thus Spake Zarathustra, chapter 7, Friedrich Nietzsche

tomtherat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2012, 07:51:20 pm »

What version are you all using? I got my vampire king without building a single road, and there's no road requirement on the "becoming the capital" screen for me.

Also, have you set your population cap below 120 140? There's a population requirement as well.

The fort has to be a metropolis:

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Metropolis

Apparently there are even labor requirements, which I did not realize.

It is a metropolis, and before atom smashing 75 dwarves for framerate issues I was at 220.  I'm sure that the offerings is the issue, it shows in the becoming the capitol screen as 0/5000 offerings.  With no caravans coming I'm just stuck.

Nasikabatrachus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who watchdwarfs the watchdwarves?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2012, 09:26:57 pm »

That stinks. Any idea why the caravans stopped coming? I'm guessing a diplomat got killed, but I don't know what effect that would actually have.
"I want to have goblins about me, for I am courageous. The courage which scareth away ghosts, createth for itself goblins--it wanteth to laugh." Thus Spake Zarathustra, chapter 7, Friedrich Nietzsche

Thormgrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2012, 12:43:03 am »

I hate to say it, but if you say the name out loud, it does fit what happened to you...

DanteThanatos

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:hollow eyes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2012, 12:45:06 am »

I bow to your Fort, my fellow dwarf.
It seems the queen is ashamed of walking those corridors after spending her time in the rough stone that was her prior house.
Pages: [1] 2