Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chrome odditys?  (Read 550 times)

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
Chrome odditys?
« on: December 28, 2012, 03:04:44 am »

Well, i've been using chrome issue free for a very long time now. Though now...

Not that long ago, chrome just broke. Broke like hell. It wouldn't launch and apparently it was because chrome.dll whent missing. That got fixed. Though I got a seemingly harmless error about a missing xpcom.dll

Now chrome crashes whenever the "Save as" dialog should pop up. I have no idea what's doing this and after some shit tonight I'm not in the mood to tackle this myself. Anyone know what I should do about this bullshit?
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
Re: Chrome odditys?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2012, 03:14:28 am »

Getting this out before I have to go, but have you tried reinstalling chrome? You won't lose your bookmarks if you're signed into your google account. Hopefully, that'll sort things out.

Good luck though.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2012, 03:42:43 am »

I've tried reinstalling it. But maybe uninstalling it completely first would help. Eh. I just didn't bother there since chrome doesn't seem to want to give me an installer.

Edit: Yeah that didn't do anything at all. Besides get rid of the xpcom.dll error. Still crashes on downloads
« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 03:53:23 am by Janet »

JWNoctis

• Bay Watcher
  • Definitely still alive
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2012, 04:26:54 am »

The best solution would be to use other browsers for a while, if you don't care too much about those Google stuff.

A clean reinstall with manual removal of what is left in the program folder would probably have helped, too.
[LANGUAGE_2:ENGLISH:HOPELESSLY_BROKEN]
Adept Lurker

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2012, 04:33:54 am »

I'm assuming you've done a virus scan for any potential malignant programs. Chrome, while secure, isn't immune to viruses. Recently dealt with one on a work PC that was able to redirect Google search results to scam sites in Explorer, Firefox and Chrome. Even a full scan with three different programs couldn't get rid of the damn thing and we had to format it and start clean.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2012, 04:54:49 am »

I've been working with her a bit on this. She did a clean install, and she tried the beta build: chrome crashes on downloads, but doesn't crash when you don't ask it to ask you where to download. I can't seem to find help for this online though. A lot of people seem to have this problem, but very few have a solution.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2012, 04:59:10 am »

For whatever reason another install cycle and a restart despite nothing else changing at all stopped it. I have no idea what the fuck was going on  but hey.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2012, 05:09:39 am »

Magic. Don't question the power of the power cycle. Without it my life would be so much worse.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.