Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Diggles - yes from Dredmor  (Read 4616 times)

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Diggles - yes from Dredmor
« on: December 28, 2012, 12:57:51 am »

A bit of back scratching for another game that was made by DF fans

Dungeons of Dredmor devs VERY obviously play DF, there are DF Easter eggs all over the game.

So... diggles, giant diggles and werediggles in Dwarf Fortress, if the Dredmor guys wouldn't object?

I somehow doubt they would object at all.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
Re: Diggles - yes from Dredmor
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2012, 07:23:39 am »

Adding the animals from the animal sponsorship drive was enough effort (and it's not even finished yet). If you like Diggles, mod them in yourself.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2012, 08:47:56 am »

Trif I'm not asking for these for myself, I'm just tossing the idea out there.  I'm fine with DF having no Diggles, and I don't mod, not particularly care to play modded games.

If it gets back to Toady and he looks at Dungeons of Dredmore and sees all the Dwarf Fortress Easter Eggs that the Dredmore guys dropped in their game, without trying to take from him, I think a bit of indy game backscratching might be in beneficial to both sides.  There's a lot that both games can offer to the other in terms of fanbase.
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentledwarves, prepare for Glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2012, 08:51:05 am »

Can you explain what a digle is?

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2012, 12:16:47 pm »

Can you explain what a digle is?
A town in Greater Manchester, or "A strange little bird-thing that tunnels through walls with its odd, rubbery nasal appliance." and the mascot of popular modern roguelike Dungeons of Dredmor.

My wooden badge was delicious.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2012, 12:27:36 pm »

What would Diggles add to DF?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Robosaur

• Bay Watcher
  • [POOP:INORGANIC: NUCLEAR_BOMBS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2012, 01:08:24 pm »

What do Reachers add to DF?
sorry GWG but content is pretty much always a plus.

Also they add a domesticatable, but dangerous when wild creature that lays eggs.
You are a terrible person and the sad truth is deep down you know it.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2012, 02:47:35 pm »

Diggles sort of lack context given the game they come from.

What do they eat? How do they act? How intelligent are they? What are they made of? What is their beak made of? What internal organs do they have? How large are they?

Many of these will never be answered.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2012, 03:11:36 pm »

Also they add a domesticatable, but dangerous when wild creature that lays eggs.
Reachers will eventually add something, with their playing dead and all.
But let me rephrase that.
Why would Toady want to add a new creature that few of us would have ever heard of? Why not add some new features, or, barring that, creatures that more people have heard of?
This has given me an idea for a new suggestion, though.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2012, 07:38:49 pm »

Reachers will eventually add something, with their playing dead and all.
But let me rephrase that.
Why would Toady want to add a new creature that few of us would have ever heard of? Why not add some new features, or, barring that, creatures that more people have heard of?
This has given me an idea for a new suggestion, though.

Your question is actually it's own answer.

The reason why Toady might consider adding diggles is to do a little mutual back scratching with Gaslamp Games.  Most of us play other games besides Dwarf Fortress, so directing players to other indie games designed by dev teams that produce good work is a plus.

The fact that you did not know diggles are, despite Dungeons of Dreadmore being around for quite a while now is exactly why I suggested this.

Gaslamp games is not building anything like DF, but they are building games with a very similar philosophy, and they have made it VERY clear in their game that they know and like Dwarf Fortress.

For example:

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2012, 08:57:57 pm »

Or the Plump Helmet.
Or the Bone Bolts.
Or some Sewer Brew.
Or the Plastic Bolts.
Or the Dwarven Atom Smasher!!

There are a lot of DF references in the game!

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2012, 09:06:55 pm »

So...Toady adds in a creature from Dungeons of Dredmor to support cooperation between Bay12 and Gaslamp?

And in what way are plastic bolts in DF?
Sig

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2012, 09:14:04 pm »

So...Toady adds in a creature from Dungeons of Dredmor to support cooperation between Bay12 and Gaslamp?

Not cooperation, just a head nod towards another indy game developer.  An opportunity for a player to say "WTF is a diggle" and Google it, then find Gaslamp Games.

I'm NOT even going to begin to try to tell Toady who he should do real business with, but I figure letting him know when another indy game company is Easter Egging DF in a positive light, and offering a suggestion on a way to reciprocate isn't outside acceptability.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2012, 09:18:16 pm »

Okay then.
Sig

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2012, 09:49:55 pm »

You follow the link and find out for yourself.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5