Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Creature Mode - adventurer sub-mode(s)  (Read 2234 times)

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
Re: Creature Mode - adventurer sub-mode(s)
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2013, 02:13:39 pm »

Now, one thing that I always wished of when it came to DF to be "on the other end", so to speak - to be the blacksmith that forged the legendary sword that this hero will slay almighty beats with or...
To be the horse/unicorn/giant eagle that rides the general of the army to victory.

And implementation of Creature Mode would be the first step to achieve this.
Also, to be the dragon that burned those villages and ate maidens.

Bot Hack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2013, 12:23:19 am »

Unappreciated BUMP

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121303.0

I'm just wondering what the word is on the development of fully taking the form and abilities of animals in Arena or any other future world map.

Matheld

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2013, 01:17:57 am »

what would be wrong in playing as a, let's say, a horse? Or moreover, a bird of some kind?

Since they lack the minimum of subhuman intelligence they are too far removed from the intelligence of a person to be playable. They are essentially what I consider "Unplayable".

There is nothing wrong mechanically it is just a thematic frame I wish to preserve.

Even if they`re "Universally agreed to have been guided by forces unknown"?
Personally I believe you the player not to be the character you are controlling, but the hands of destiny itself.

Bot Hack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2013, 01:38:14 am »

Even if they`re "Universally agreed to have been guided by forces unknown"?
Personally I believe you the player not to be the character you are controlling, but the hands of destiny itself.

Indeed. What am I, an eagle, to do, but fly, grasp, sing, and die?

Neovinek, what quarrels do you have of playing the animals in Arena? I actually would love to be able to use my pre-genned worlds and fly vast distances over the entire continent, setting my init to be able to view the ground all the while. Eventually tiring and settling into the mountains to hunt hoary marmots, snatching them up and devouring them in a tree.

And what lady eagle doesn't want to experience the sheer terror of randomly giving birth to a live eagle only for the little one to fall 30 tiles down and smash into little bitty pieces? Well, surely that's a hurdle Toady One would address after allowing us to fly as birds.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 01:43:05 am by Bot Hack »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2013, 03:16:49 am »

Neovinek, what quarrels do you have of playing the animals in Arena? I actually would love to be able to use my pre-genned worlds and fly vast distances over the entire continent, setting my init to be able to view the ground all the while. Eventually tiring and settling into the mountains to hunt hoary marmots, snatching them up and devouring them in a tree.

The "Arena" is a test area. What qualms would I have with that?'

Sometimes improving a game is knowing what features to keep out. A feature that is cool but hurts the overall feel of the game and trivialises it, is one that I will put in my two cents against.

Would being an eagle in the game be cool? I am never going to argue against that. Of course it would be.

Also no "Forces unknown" to me has always at best been vague since the most simple reference it can be to is "Wonderlust", language is rather vicious that way. So it isn't "Universally accepted" anyhow.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 03:20:05 am by Neonivek »

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2013, 08:24:05 am »

Now, one thing that I always wished of when it came to DF to be "on the other end", so to speak - to be the blacksmith that forged the legendary sword that this hero will slay almighty beats with or...
To be the horse/unicorn/giant eagle that rides the general of the army to victory.

And implementation of Creature Mode would be the first step to achieve this.
Also, to be the dragon that burned those villages and ate maidens.

The prize for best feature goes to DarkDXZ without a doubt. Where's the nearest drum? I've got some testing to do.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2013, 08:26:54 am »

The "Arena" is a test area. What qualms would I have with that?'

Sometimes improving a game is knowing what features to keep out. A feature that is cool but hurts the overall feel of the game and trivialises it, is one that I will put in my two cents against.

Would being an eagle in the game be cool? I am never going to argue against that. Of course it would be.

Also no "Forces unknown" to me has always at best been vague since the most simple reference it can be to is "Wonderlust", language is rather vicious that way. So it isn't "Universally accepted" anyhow.

Even if it's not included in the general game, I hope Toady at least makes this sort of thing possible through modding.   
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2013, 08:37:41 am »

Some magical creatures should be small enough, right?

I assume you mean smart enough.

No issue with intelligent critters.

As well there is no reason why creatures cannot use items. The game already has great mechanics why a dragon for example doesn't wear plate in that it would be a fantastical expense.

Breastplate costs 3 bars for a dwarf to use (and likely the same for a human) however for a dragon it would be 1250 bars.

It is kinda what makes the Bronze Collosus so fantastically impossible to make even for Dwarves who would know how. The sheer number of bars required would be greater then many forts could possibly ever get.

What people tend to forget about forts is that YES they are rich, it is intentional... yet when that wealth gets spread around you realise how little it really is.

See: Colossus of King Cacame Awemedinate

EDIT: [/thread]
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 08:53:28 am by Objective »
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Pages: 1 [2]