Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 60

Author Topic: Prophets of the New God: most unfortunately dropped.  (Read 72203 times)

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
Re: Prophets of the New God: Turn 7 - A Proper Reception
« Reply #90 on: January 12, 2013, 04:02:32 pm »

Are there farms in the temple or something?

Pray for a miracle to strike these violent heathens down.

None that you can see. Also, do you wish to run or stand still while doing that action? It's best to clarify.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 12, 2013, 04:31:43 pm »

Are there farms in the temple or something?

Pray for a miracle to strike these violent heathens down.
None that you can see. Also, do you wish to run or stand still while doing that action? It's best to clarify.
That was a rhetorical question, and hold my ground until they get within striking distance.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 12, 2013, 04:59:39 pm »

((Ehehehee, this is the proper way to lead.))

Get the clothes from his mother (wait for them if she's not ready), give her my deepest thanks, and put them on.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 12, 2013, 10:09:50 pm »

"But your voice is so pretty! And you look like you'd be pretty handsome if you weren't living in squalor.

Say, how'd you like to come with me on a journey? Can't be any worse than living out here alone forever, and you might find some people who appreciate a face and voice like that!

I'm Shashari, Prophet of the One True God, by the way. He hates waste, you know, and leaving you out here to sing to rocks and squirrels is most certainly a waste."

Convince Siren Boy to join me.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 13, 2013, 02:33:22 am »

((I'm like a really old car dealer! I love it.))
"Oh, you younglings are all so feisty! Now, do you know of any villages nearby? We need to start converting."
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 13, 2013, 03:57:47 am »

((I'm like a really old car dealer! I love it.))
"Oh, you younglings are all so feisty! Now, do you know of any villages nearby? We need to start converting."

[Bandits knowledge roll: 5]

"Well, there aren't a lot, but there is at least one to the west, about six hours of walking. A quaint place, I'd say."

"Ooh, I know of a closer one! That one's four hours to the north!"

"Yeah, but that leads through a very unfriendly part of the woods."

"There's also a city two days to the south. Take your pick."

"Take your time. It's not like we're going anywhere at this particular time."

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 13, 2013, 04:04:38 am »

"We'll head for the one six hours away. Lead the way, boys!"
To the six-hour-away village!

EDIT: Oh, and the link in your sig leads to the second page, GM.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 03:00:27 pm by Xantalos »
Sig! Onol

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Prophets of the New God: Turn 8 - That Sharp Stabbing Feeling
« Reply #97 on: January 13, 2013, 03:07:03 pm »

Turn 8 - That Sharp Stabbing Feeling

Since poor old Patalim's establishment seems to be closed, Elizas asks the merchant a very important question.

"Say, perhaps there is another safe haven where we could spend the night?"

[Merchant contingency plan roll: 1-->5]

"I'm afraid not. I don't have any other friends in the area, neither do I have any other place. I used Patalim's establishment both for my own lodgings and as a place to store my goods until I had done all of my business here and enjoyed the fine pleasures of the city. It appears we are in quite a bit of trouble now."

Suddenly, one of the guards pipes up!

"Hey, maybe Patalim's around somewhere. The old bastard couldn't have up and left, could he?"

[Passerby roll: 6-->5]

He walks up to a passerby, a sad-looking old man.

"Say, would you perhaps know where Patalim is?"

The man looks at the guard with a cloudy stare, then answers slowly and not without a very noticeable air of sorrow.

"Poor fella. Got on the Kezilamites' bad side. His public execution is tomorrow at noon. Death by stoning and decapitation."

The guards and merchant regard the man with abject horror. Well, this got very bad very fast.

As the guards of the Temple charge at him, Phiali does the messianic thing to do in this case and starts to get on his knees and pray for divine aid.

[Prayer roll: 6-->4]

He doesn't even get down before he is struck by a flash of inspiration almost as great as the one he received the day he started out on his quest! He realizes that these people are unenlightened zealots, people of dark minds, but this is not their own fault. There is, however, a way to shock them back into a more human state. That way is the wrath of the New God.

The central guard is suddenly twitches, then bursts into flame and screams loudly!

[Central Guard endurance roll: 1]

He screams louder than Phiali could have ever imagined a man to scream, but this only lasts for ten seconds at best, since he passes out from extreme pain shortly after that.

[Guard morale roll: 5]

The guards glance momentarily toward their fallen comrade, but evidently don't seem to consider his fate anything worth stopping for. Hm.

"DEATH TO THE HEATHEN! GLORY TO KEZILAM!"

Within moments they have reached Phiali, still rather surprised at their unwavering zealotry. This was definitely not part of the plan.

[Guard 1 vs. Phiali: 4 vs. 1+1]
[Guard 2 vs. Phiali: 2 vs. 3+1]
[Guard 3 vs. Phiali: 5 vs. 2+1]
[Guard 4 vs. Phiali: 1 vs. 4+1]
[Guard 5 vs. Phiali: 6 vs. 1+1]

He is sliced across the shoulder and the chest, obtaining superficial wounds, then handily disarms another of the guards while keeping another at bay with his curved stick. This doesn't prepare him at all for what comes next, as he receives a curved blade straight through the belly, impaling him most severely. He is bleeding very badly now.

4 MP expended!
People insufficiently impressed! No MP awarded!

Having gotten what she wanted from Satjap, Sejena waits for the mother to be finished with her clothing. It only takes about half an hour before she's done and presents Sejena with her work. The clothes are just as advertised: sturdy, covering, warm and, most importantly, plain.

"I hope this set will meet your standards."

Sejena puts on the clothing and finds it rather comfortable for the most part, at least moreso than the rather revealing concubine outfit she was wearing.

"My deepest thanks to you, these will be quite adequate."

She gives Sejena a wide smile.

"I am glad to hear that. It's not very often that I can make something for a noblewoman. I am pleased that you find no issue with my work. It's much higher praise than you'd think."

Looking at the area where she knows the man to be, Shashari realizes that this is most definitely an opportunity for a conversion. And that is an opportunity you cannot miss.

[Conversion roll: 6-->4]

"But your voice is so pretty! And you look like you'd be pretty handsome if you weren't living in squalor."

"What? Me? You think I sing well?"

"Yes! Say, how'd you like to come with me on a journey?"

"Well, I don't know about that, I might-"

"Can't be any worse than living out here alone forever, and you might find some people who appreciate a face and voice like that!"

"Um, I-"

"Great, I knew you'd agree. I'm Shashari, Prophet of the One True God, by the way. He hates waste, you know, and leaving you out here to sing to rocks and squirrels is most certainly a waste."

"Now, I wouldn't-"

"You wouldn't want to say no to such a fine offer, I know. So we leave at dawn."

"I have-"

"You have no reservations about this plan of mine? Perfect. We shall speak no more of it."

"But-"

"No more! It is agreed!"

There is an audible sigh of resigned acceptance from one of the corners.

After hearing these pleasing news of nearby villages, Gronok is quite excited!

"We'll head for the one six hours away. Lead the way, boys!"

"What, now?"

"It'll be a six hour walk! And we're already tired from a busy day of robbing and plundering! And it's about to get dark!"

[Gronok charisma roll: 6+1-->4]

"Now, you see, what I hear there are excuses. Poor excuses. But maybe I'm wrong. Care to repeat?"

"Well, it will be a six hour walk and..."

"Oh, you'll have to forgive me, all I heard back there was 'whine whine whine, I can't walk'. Start over, please."

"A six hour walk through the woods is no simple matter, it is quite a challenge!"

"There it goes again. My hearing must be getting pretty poor, since I could swear I just heard a fearsome bandit, a scourge of the plains whine about having to take a walk. Next thing I'll hear will be how you're scared of the dark or some such rot."

"The woods can get pretty perilous at night, you know."

"Because that's when the bloodthirsty squirrels come out, right? I do believe I've heard this entire thing before, only it came from a child of six years when she tried to tell her mother she didn't want to go to the well! I'll have you know that this girl grew up to be quite a worthless layabout, though I have to blame her mother for that, as she was the one that kept listening to her lazy good-for-nothing child. But back on track, you were saying?"

"It's been quite a long day, you know. We've..."

"You've done what? How many well-armed caravans have you waylaid? How many people have you stopped along the way? Heck, how many sheep have you rustled?"

"Uh..."

"Well?"

"... none."

"I do believe that settles that matter. We set off now!"

The other bandits look at Azikim, who shrugs with a bitter expression on his mutilated face. They get up, grab their things, fold up their tents and head west, Gronok following along.

[Travel roll: 5-1]

It turns out that traveling through the dark is, while not entirely pleasant, also not as incredibly perilous as the whiny bandit had led him to believe. The road is difficult, but eventually they reach the village to the west - Kilnipom, a somewhat poor-looking community. The village seems full of low hovels, but there is one structure that poses an exception - a large temple made of bright white stone in the middle of town. Seems relatively harmless apart from that, though.

Spoiler: MP Tracker (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: GM Note (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 12:50:17 am by Harry Baldman »

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 13, 2013, 03:14:11 pm »

Find a villager.
"Hello there! Would you care to tell me what that temple in the middle of town is for?
Sig! Onol

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 13, 2013, 04:45:21 pm »

Meh, that turned out...about as well as I could have expected. Sending a pacifist to a temple of violent heathens was...perhaps a poor move on the God's part.

Five bucks says I'll be the first martyr.

Calmly remove the blade, using my last MP on a healing miracle before turning around and leaving. Maybe they won't follow?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 13, 2013, 06:21:12 pm »

"Be calm my friend, for I have a plan to stop your comrade from being killed, and to do so we will attend his execution tomorrow. For now, we must plan and find a place to stay the night."

Elizas questions the old man on what charges Patalim is being executed on. Then ask him if there is someplace for weary travelers to spend the night.
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 13, 2013, 07:39:00 pm »

"Excellent! Now, I'm tired and hungry, do you have anything to eat and drink?"

Eat, drink, rest. Pleasant conversation while we do so.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Prophets of the New God: Turn 8 - That Sharp Stabbing Feeling
« Reply #102 on: January 14, 2013, 10:42:37 am »

Sejena stopped herself before she started grinning like an idiot. She felt such affection towards the little woman. Of course, she seemed to think Sejena was a noblewoman and not the king's whore - but she couldn't have missed the clothing. She considered the chance that the woman was just very foolish, but decided against it. She had to be acting out of the 'goodness of her heart', something she had begun to think didn't even exist out here.

'Ah... you are a saint amongst men,' she said. 'And much more important than you think. If you allow me, I would give you Aulanna's blessing.'

After that, she would have to go and find this Naphizim of Vipuka. Hopefully her new clothes would give her protection from most hateful eyes.

Bless the mother (I would like to actually use Blessing, but I'm not sure what I'd do with it, so maybe not) and then head out and find this Naphizim of Vipuka.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Prophets of the New God: Turn 9 - Walk Away
« Reply #103 on: January 14, 2013, 03:02:43 pm »

Turn 9 - Walk Away

In the foreboding dark of the early morning, five travelers enter the village of Kilnipom. They proceed aimlessly along the streets until their leader, Gronok, decides to try and ask a nearby villager what that large temple-like structure in the middle of town is.

[Search roll: 1-->4]

He chooses to ask a knowledgeable, enlightened-looking fellow dressed in gray clothes what the place may be.

"Hello there! Would you care to tell me what that temple in the middle of town is for?"

"Why, yes. It's the Temple of Amaliz Teze, the Great Prophet! That you would not know this is quite shocking. Why are you in Kilnipom if not to see the Temple? It is the only thing of interest here among these poor, ignorant peasants."

The man looks over at a nearby hovel dismissively.

"But I suppose they have their uses. After all, everyone has their place in life. It would be folly, not to mention a betrayal of Teze's core tenets to attempt to leave it."

Ah. Kezilamites. That makes sense.

Phiali is in quite a bad spot right now. He does, after all, have quite a few wounds on him. He is, however, determined not to die just yet. He stands tall and pulls the blade of one of the guards from his belly, then runs his hands over his wounds in a smooth motion. There is a glow of warmth and the sound of flowing water, and when the prophet removes his hand, his wounds are gone! He then turns around and begins to walk away.

[Guard morale roll: 5]

The guards, obviously not deterred by obvious supernatural activity, charge at Phiali and try to stab him once more.

[Guard 1 vs. Phiali: 1 vs. 1+1]
[Guard 2 vs. Phiali: 4 vs. 6+1]
[Guard 3 vs. Phiali: 5 vs. 2+1]
[Guard 4 vs. Phiali: 5-1 vs. 5+1]
[Guard 5 vs. Phiali: 3 vs. 6+1]

As he hears the footsteps of the approaching guards, he turns around. He watches as one guard runs right past him, then takes a far-too-impatient one's blade as the latter tries to perform a reckless overhead swing at him. Even though one of the guards manages a lucky swipe at his arm, he still manages to push away a previously disarmed though still madly charging one and disarm a last one. He shows the three blades he already has to the guards with a questioning look on his face.

[Guard morale roll: 1-->5]

The guards look at him cautiously, then take a few steps back. Phiali nods solemnly and leaves without a word, disappearing into the woods in a scant few minutes.

1 MP expended!

Upon hearing about the execution, Elizas decides to take charge of the situation.

"Be calm, my friend, for I have a plan to stop your comrade from being killed, and to do so we will attend his execution tomorrow. For now, we must plan and find a place to stay the night."

[Merchant reaction roll: 5]

"What? What will attending his execution solve? I... well, I suppose I'll trust your judgment. After all, you are closer to God than myself."

"Yes. Now, old man, what crime is Patalim charged with committing?"

"Debauchery and corruption of the public, same as any other owner of an... entertainment establishment that didn't close its doors when the Kezilamites politely suggested they should."

"I see. Do you know of a place where weary travelers may spend the night?"

[Sad Old Man knowledge roll: ?]

"Why, yes, yes, I do. There is quite a fine place for people like you, in fact. Go to the home of Gezerim, right down the street over there. I am sure he can help you in some way."

He points to a house of not-inconsiderable size at the end of the street. It is somewhat unadorned, but there is nonetheless an air of refinement about it. Like there is more than meets the casual eye to that place.

Having successfully made the siren-man submit to her wishes, Shashari inquires about his home next. The Siren seems a bit less shy of her now, as he has now poked his head out of the corner.

"Excellent! Now, I'm tired and hungry, do you have anything to eat and drink?"

[Siren resource roll: 4]

"I do have a bit of jerky left over from one of my better hunts lately. I also have a lot of spring water and some herbs. Help yourself, girl."

She does so and does her best to enjoy the meal.

[Meal enjoyment roll: 4]

It's good, she supposes. Definitely not the tastiest meal she's had, but filling nonetheless. The herbs add quite a bit to the meat in terms of flavor, she finds. After eating her share, she makes some after-supper smalltalk.

[Smalltalk roll: 4+1]

They chat for quite a while, and soon the communication between them has taken on a much friendlier tone, as the Siren regales Shashari with various exploits of his youth. They mostly involve him getting in trouble with his less womanly brothers and, believe it or not, less womanly sisters, plus a certain amount of more unique stories, such as an instance where he managed to accidentally make a shepherd of a nearby homestead fall in love with the sound of his voice. Though some of the stories are more strange and disturbing in a way, such as the time when his sister, then a girl of seven years, tried to take away his voice with a knife due to an insanely jealous phase she was going through. He points at a noticeable scar on his throat when he tells the story, adding a level of realism Shashari does not really appreciate. She nervously laughs to keep the conversation going, which seems to work just fine.

After quite a while of hearing varied stories of the Siren's youth, Shashari decides that perhaps it might be time to rest. She gets into the most comfortable position she can on the bed of straw, then tries to fall asleep while her ram, who has been passively watching the evening's proceedings, takes up residence just a few steps away.

[Resting roll: 6-->4]

Surprisingly, she sleeps just as soundly on the rather humble bed of straw as she would have in her soft, soft feather bed back at home. Soon enough, she has left the conscious world and plunged into the realm of dreams.

[Dream roll: 6-->1]

She dreams of a keep of nine doors, each of them guarded by a crone. As she passes each door, its respective crone takes something from her. The first one takes her clothes. The second cuts off her hair. The third, however, slices off one of her ears with a large, extremely sharp knife.

[Endurance roll: 5]

She screams and clutches the empty space where her ear used to be, but resolves to keep going, feeling a vague promise of something dragging her forward despite all sense and reason. The crones do not let up, either: the fourth removes her hands, the fifth cuts off her feet. The sixth tears her tongue out of her mouth with a single pull of her hand.

[Endurance roll: 4]

Now mute and reduced to a crawl, Shashari is still determined to continue her progress. The sixth crone nods in approval as she makes her way forward to the seventh door. The seventh crone seems to be far more lenient, as she merely takes away her ram companion. Still, with its loss, she feels that something else has left her as well. The eighth one does something far worse, however, as she takes away her name and the face of her father and family, shattering both against a stone wall like mere glass playthings, then tearing out her heart with a seemingly taloned hand. But still, she is not prepared for the final crone's punishment. For you see, it is but a single question.

"Who are you, girl?"

[Will roll: 2]

For the life of her, Shashari isn't sure. What is she without a name or a face, without her hands and feet, without a tongue and without family, without anything? What is left when all else is taken away? As she thinks, she feels an icy darkness close in. The ninth crone begins to laugh, then speaks in a vaguely teasing tone.

"I suppose I can give you a small glimpse to what is behind this door. After all, you did perform admirably up until this point."

As the door opens by the very tiniest of margins, Shashari indeed gets her glimpse. And what she glimpses is beyond any imagination and beyond any mortal concept of value.

She wakes up soon after, the visions of the crones slowly leaving her mind and memory. It still seems to be dark and she can hear the Siren sleeping in the corner, breathing softly. Her ram is similarly unperturbed.

Sejena thinks about the words of Medlan's wife for a moment and decides that she is probably just being unusually nice rather than uncommonly oblivious. She replies with kind words of her own.

"Ah... you are a saint amongst men. And much more important than you think. If you allow me, I would give you Aulanna's blessing."

She seems to be progressing from smiling to positive beaming as the conversation takes its course.

"I... thank you for your words. And it would be foolish to resolve a blessing, whoever it may come from, no?"

After Sejena mutters a quick, but heartfelt prayer in her favor, the lady bows gracefully and they say goodbye to one another. Then Sejena heads out to find the apparently useful Naphezim of Vipuka, all the while hoping nobody sees through her disguise.

[Search roll: 1-->2]

Two things stop her from doing this, however. For one, she forgot to find out where this Naphezim of Vipuka might be, and her knowledge of the city is quite insufficient to make anything even close to an educated guess. Secondly, she keeps getting a slightly odd feeling in her gut. Something's off.

[Perception roll: ?]

She doesn't really see anything suspicious around, but the feeling does not leave her for some reason.

Spoiler: MP Tracker (click to show/hide)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Prophets of the New God: Turn 9 - Walk Away
« Reply #104 on: January 14, 2013, 03:10:07 pm »

Gronok goes to the cathedral, converts in tow, telling them to 'play the part'.
"I would like to meet with the head priest or holy man here, if it please you good folk! I have a matter of grave importance to relay to him!"
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 04:40:25 pm by Xantalos »
Sig! Onol
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 60