Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 60

Author Topic: Prophets of the New God: most unfortunately dropped.  (Read 72194 times)

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
Re: Prophets of the New God: Turn 29 - What God Does Not Provide...
« Reply #255 on: March 05, 2013, 08:35:26 am »

Ah, I see.
...Note to self: MP are more efficiently spent on classical miracles.

Except God's Wrath. That one is a bit too expensive to use at your level. With the 4 MP spent on God's Wrath, you can give yourself a +4 to persuasion or defense for one turn, after all.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
Re: Prophets of the New God: Turn 29 - What God Does Not Provide...
« Reply #256 on: March 05, 2013, 10:42:10 am »

"Hum tee tum... well, the strongest of you step forward, please."
Gronok blesses said strong guy with a 1-turn +1 to strength via touch, then directs him to break the door down.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Prophets of the New God: Turn 30 - A Sound Plan
« Reply #257 on: March 06, 2013, 04:18:22 pm »

Turn 30 - A Sound Plan

Sejena, quite annoyed by Naphezim's persistent badgering, spells the entire thing out to him in a somewhat irritated hiss, feeling righteous fury overtake her.

[Intimidation roll: 1-->2+1]

'Oh, for the love of... I came here to seek sanctuary, you half-wit, because Satjap promised me it would be found here and I am short on allies in this abyssal excuse for a city. And why do I need sanctuary, Naphezim? Because I have fled the palace and the slave-life I've had to suffer my entire life. Because I serve Aulanna, the Bloody-Red Lady, and will stop at nothing to see her will done. By the Goddess, I will bring down this doomed, pathetic speck of a kingdom and cast the king and all his sycophants and priests from his high tower and bathe in the blood of all who dare to defy her. Any more questions?'

Naphezim looks gravely at Sejena for a few moments, staring deeply into her furious eyes.

Then he begins laughing. He laughs long and hard, then stops and looks at Sejena again, at which point he breaks into a slight giggle. After about a minute of that, he finally calms down and takes several deep breaths. Composing himself, he finally speaks.

"Sorry about that. Don't know what came over me back there. Probably all the ambition. Anyway, I cannot really help you with any of that bathing in blood you have got planned and whatnot. I can give you two things: a well-hidden room with provisions, which will cost you 12 tezerams a day, and access to certain places you should not be in, which will cost somewhere between 200 and 500 tezerams per instance, depending on the location. Neither of these prices are negotiable. Take them or leave them."

Sejena might not be entirely clear on how much in terms of expenses 12 or 500 tezerams are, but it sure sounds like a lot.

1 MP expended!

Gronok, having carefully thought about his next course of action, formulates a plan of escape. This, however, requires one thing.

"Say, are any of you particularly strong or adept at picking locks?"

The lead prisoner shakes his head.

"In a word, no. It is the primary reason we are still here. That and the fact that the door leading out has no lock to pick."

Ah. Next plan.

"Hum tee tum... well, the strongest of you step forward, please."

[Strongest person roll: 5]

A very well-built man stands up and steps toward Gronok. Despite being covered in superficial burns and scars, he looks plenty strong. But he could be stronger! Gronok outstretches his God-blessed hand, placing it firmly on the man's chest and allowing the grace of the Lord do its divine work. The man, originally a bit of a slouch, seems to fill with energy, standing upright and ready for action.

"Now, go break down the door!"

"I will do so to the best of my considerable ability!"

He runs up the stairs and tries to remove the door from its frame!

[Man strength roll: 1-->6+1+1]

He returns to the group a few minutes later.

"After a cursory inspection and mechanical test of the door and its surrounding area, I have come to several important conclusions - the door is firmly held by the stone it slides into, seemingly continuing beyond what we can normally perceive both horizontally and vertically for a significant length. Furthermore, the walls seem to be constructed of very durable materials, possibly solid granite. All in all, not something one can break down simply with one's hands."

The spirits of the group sink at this analysis.

"However," the strongman continues, "in my investigations, I also found something unusual! It looks to be a bit of string protruding from the wall! If my skills of deduction have not failed me, it is likely that it may control the bell the guards use to get out!"

The people in the room perk up immediately!

"Follow me, people, I will get us out of this yet!"

He runs up the stairs with the prisoners, leaving Gronok behind with nothing but the somewhat unpleasant feeling of being upstaged.

Phiali, currently running for his life, chooses to remind the guards of the priest that probably needs help right now!

[Phiali persuasion roll: 6-->6]

To this end, he stops dead in his tracks, then motions for the guards to stop as well. He then proceeds to prepare his best accusatory tone.

"How dare you not prioritize the well-being of your priest over the capture of an intruder!"

The guards shrug as one.

"We're pretty sure he'll be fine."

"But what if he isn't and you aren't around to help him?"

"We are sure that your capture will gain us more prestige than caring for a priest. Besides, there's several of us doing that already. This way, it is more likely we'll be successful!"

"I have a better idea, however - it lets you gain prestige both for capturing me and for helping your priest!"

The guards are clearly intrigued by the proposition, though they still seem a bit wary of Phiali.

"Tell us this... idea of yours."

"Ah, you see, it is a stroke of genius. You go and help your priest now and let me escape, thus gaining prestige for helping a hurt superior. This is something you can't do tomorrow, after all. I, on the other hand, will probably be back in a few days. You can capture me then, gaining even more prestige. Who knows, you may even become distinguished among your peers for such success. Not a bad plan, no?"

One of the guards scratches his chin.

"Seems like a sound plan. So you'll be back in a few days, and then we'll capture you."

"Presumably."

"Very well then! Where will you be?"

"The bell tower. If I do not appear, wait a bit. I may just be running late."

"It is a deal! Run along now, and make sure you are in the right place next time we meet. To get to the bell tower, go up the right stairs in the hall, then take the right path at every intersection. You will get there eventually. Have a nice day, now."

"Oh, I will."

Phiali runs out the front door while the guards run back to aid their priest. Well, that was a nice escape.

Elizas, not a big fan of either death or enforcement of the natural order of things, butts in on the conversation going on.

"This man is a child of God, and as such it is of my duty to protect him with the fullest measure of my abilities from harm. If you harm this man in anyway you will not only mark yourselves a target of God but all of his people."

"You misunderstand. I am not going to harm him. I am merely saying that he should be harmed by someone in general."

The old man scratches his chin thoughtfully.

"Say, perhaps you could do it? I am sure your god would never see it coming."

Well... that's an option, Elizas guesses. A pointless and insane option, but an option nonetheless.

Spoiler: MP Tracker (click to show/hide)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: March 06, 2013, 05:30:36 pm »

Leave the general area of the temple.

"Idiots."

Find some spot, far from the temple, to camp for the remainder of the night.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: March 07, 2013, 03:21:21 am »

"Okay," Shashari said, "I clearly do not belong in the woods. Let's go back to your place for now and get out of this place come tomorrow, hm?

Speaking of which, what do you know about the surrounding areas that aren't witchbear-infested forest?"

Return to Siren's hut, engage in conversation. Wait for tomorrow.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: March 08, 2013, 09:05:36 am »

Second-day bump.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: March 08, 2013, 10:22:13 am »

ARG SORRY

Gronok frowned. Usually he was the one upstaging people! Humph.
Of course, he still goes with the people to the door. There could be guards out there.
Once he's there, he takes the lead and has the people follow him out of the place. If they meet any guards, notice if they have shame swords. If they do, try to convert them to our cause by embittering them against their fellows. If they're real guards, Gronok bamboozles the man with his wit and has the former prisoners knock him unconscious and arrange him in an embarrassing position.
Sig! Onol

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: March 08, 2013, 04:50:00 pm »

Oh.
-------

"Okay."

Slap Patalim.

"AND GOD'S WILL HAS BEEN CARRIED OUT."
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Prophets of the New God: Turn 31 - The Prison Break
« Reply #263 on: March 09, 2013, 05:11:21 pm »

Turn 31 - The Prison Break

Phiali, having liberated himself of the foolish guards, walks off into the wilderness to find himself a good camping spot.

[Search roll: 2]

The surrounding area does not seem very friendly, actually. Most of the woods around here seem to stretch on both horizontally and vertically, creating a thick and often bramble-filled undergrowth that would hurt immensely even to walk over, let alone sleep on. And his old camping spot is not exactly what one would call 'far from the temple', being only slightly out of sight and earshot of the entrance. Either he will have to range quite far or stick with a fairly easily located camp site.

Shashari realizes that very little has been achieved today, considering how she has only managed to make conversation with cave-dwelling predators and get lost in the woods several times. So she instead elects to go to the Siren's hut, questioning the female-voiced owner on the way.

"Okay, I clearly do not belong in the woods. Let's go back to your place for now and get out of this place come tomorrow, hm?"

[Siren wanderlust roll: 4]

"I see no problem there. Though this place has been my home for years, it is probably time to move on. Mostly on account of all the accursed witches everywhere."

"Speaking of which, what do you know about the surrounding areas that aren't witchbear-infested forest?"

[Siren knowledge roll: 3]

"Not really. I know that the woods stretch on for quite a distance, but I am afraid my knowledge ends there. Very much like you, I suspect, I blundered here with no real clue on what to do."

Great. That's helpful. Nevertheless, Shashari and her two companions safely return to the hut, encountering no trouble on the way. The hut is the same as they left it - austere, but generally acceptable for a hermit. Which is to say, it is a tough place for one of Shashari's pedigree to stay in. She manages to distract herself in various ways until evening, at which point she tries to fall asleep once again.

[Resting roll: 2]

Perhaps the smell is more intense, maybe it's due to lack of exertion, possibly even the curse of a roaming witch, but Shashari simply cannot fall asleep. She twists and turns, the minutes of the night seemingly dragging on forever as she keeps intently trying to lose consciousness, but failing.

Insomnia is a terrible thing to have, all in all.

Gronok, though a bit irritated at the loss of control over the situation. heads upstairs with the crowd before he's lost them entirely. Once he gets up there, he hears the strongman's voice.

"Right, then! Ring the bell!"

There is a ringing, then the sound of footsteps.

"When they open the door, pour out and overwhelm them!"

The crowd whispers to one another, then they all nod.

The door eventually is raised, 4 guards standing outside! The prisoners charge at them immediately!

[Prisoners vs. Guards: 4 vs. 6-1]

Though the prisoners are numerous, the guards do have the considerable advantage of weaponry on their side! With their metal swords, the prisoners are kept at bay as the door begins to close! Not a bad showing by the guards, all in all!

[Gronok escape roll: 4]

Gronok manages to get through to the other side, elbowing his way through the crowd into a leading position! He sighs with relief at the door shutting behind him!

[Crowd escape roll: 4]

Most of the crowd, the strongman included, seem to have gotten to the other side safely. Some were left behind, which is regrettable, but sadly unavoidable. It's all a bit chaotic right now, what with the former prisoners fighting the guards. And loud, too. Particularly when people get stabbed. That produces particularly loud noises.

Elizas takes the old man's words into account. Perhaps he should do something. Yes, he must do something!

"Okay."

He attempts to slap Patalim.

[Elizas vs. Patalim: 4 vs. 2-1]

Patalim takes the slap very much like you'd expect a man to take a slap from somebody he thought he could trust! He looks shocked, then angry, then embarrassed, his face flushed and his expression completely perplexed.

"AND GOD'S WILL HAS BEEN CARRIED OUT."

The old man stares at him for a good minute, then speaks once more.

"You are a strange one, to be sure. I do not see how that solved anything, to tell the truth."

[Patalim agreement roll: 2]

"You wouldn't see that, of course! You can't ever see a solution! It's always just 'this is impossible' or 'this is unethical' for you, isn't it?"

Patalim looks pretty angry now. Well, angrier than before.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: March 09, 2013, 06:00:36 pm »

Keep on trekking and find a farther, better campsite, after visiting my old one and getting everything of note from it. Cover my tracks, starting when I leave my old campsite. And, of course, stay stealthy and not-lost.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: March 09, 2013, 06:57:40 pm »

Enlighten the foolish guards to how doomed they are. (Very) Demoralize them!
Sig! Onol

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: March 12, 2013, 02:14:21 pm »

And... bump.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: March 12, 2013, 02:27:20 pm »

Oh, damn, sorry. I'm just so fed up with this guy and know that if I try to write a post I'll end up making my action to strangle him anyway. Are there any heavy rocks nearby?

Seriously, though... if I don't post an act soon, use this. Bless my Strength +1 and fuck this bitch up. If there are sharp-looking rocks, use one - if not, pummel his skull in. The Goddess will not stand for halfwits.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: March 13, 2013, 05:41:14 am »

Shashari grumbled quietly, hoping not to wake Siren or the ram. One of the benefits of being a commoner or beast, she supposed; you could sleep anywhere just as well as your bed, since anywhere was just as good as your bed.

She'd have to see about converting an innkeeper or something soon.

In the meantime, she needed sleep. But Siren's shack wasn't a good place for that to happen, which meant she needed to get so exhausted she passed out or make it more comfortable. The former sounded terrible and she didn't think she could pull off the latter.

So... she'd do something else. That'd either put her to sleep anyway or be productive while she was not getting the beauty rest she required.

Meditate on the One True God. Attempt to receive a vision, dreaming even if I can't sleep.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Turn 32 - A Treacherous, Underhanded Sneak Attack

Phiali opts to just keep on his path away from the temple. That is, until he realizes that he left some stuff back at his old campsite. He gets back to it, reclaims some of the berries he left and some particularly high-quality leaves worth keeping, then sets about covering his tracks.

[Track coverage roll: 2]

He realizes that he has neither the time nor patience to dust all the footprints away or, for that matter, readjust any disturbed bushes. So he just chooses to rely on the well-established fact that the guards of the temple are neither particularly smart nor very prone to leaving their sacred grounds and walks away after expending no time or effort on any highly professional ranger business that nobody is likely to appreciate anyway. Now to look for a new campsite.

[Search roll: 4]

Several miles away from the temple there seems to be an adequate clearing providing a nice shade from the sun. It isn't covered in brambles, nor do there seem to be any predatory or non-predatory animal droppings around that Phiali can see. He figures this location is about as good as it is likely to get.

Gronok attempts to demoralize the guards by telling them all the negative things he can currently think of!

[Gronok persuasion roll: 5+1]

He starts to narrate every inadequacy of the Kezilamite faith and priesthood that he can think of, then recites every case of battles he knows (as well as some he made up) where numerical superiority won out over superior armaments and tactics. He tops it off with a nice dose of targeted doomsaying, which is a thing usually expected from an old man in pretty much every conventional situation.

[Guard attention roll: 5]

The guards clearly hear it, too, despite being a bit preoccupied. They seem to be clearly demoralized by this verbal assault, being more used to negative reinforcement meant in a tough love kind of way rather than just plain negativity. In addition, they are nicely distracted by Gronok's routine, so there's that.

[Crowd vs. Guards: 2 vs. 4-1-1]

Despite the guards clearly not giving it their all, the crowd of prisoners does not look like it is very inclined to run into four people with metal weaponry. Sharp metal weaponry, no less, unlike some of the weaponry used on them at previous points in their lives not really worth discussing at this juncture. The guards turn away from the yammering old man and begin to pay attention again as the crowd prepares for yet another offensive!

For everything there is a season and time for every purpose under the sun. And right now, it is time for Sejena to teach someone a lesson in respect in the very best traditions of her faith. She looks nearby for anything suitably sharp to aid in her idea of an object lesson.

[Object availability roll: 4]

There does look to be a copper candlestick right next to her. Good enough.

[Sejena vs. Naphezim: 3-1+1+1 vs. 4+1-1]

As Sejena swings the candlestick with righteous fury, Naphezim takes a step back, looking a bit unimpressed.

[Naphezim reaction roll: 2]

"That was awfully unwise of you."

[Naphezim vs. Sejena: 1+1 vs. 5]

He lunges forward, a dagger suddenly, but not entirely unexpectedly having appeared in his hands in what Sejena is sure is a movement he's spent long hours practicing either in a mirror or on unsuspecting strangers. Luckily, she is prepared for just such an eventuality, weaving out of his path and exploiting the opening that immediately appears as Naphezim stops just in time to avoid falling out of the window.

[Counterattack: Sejena vs. Naphezim: 3+1 vs. 6+1]

The slippery worm is a bit too fast, however, handily dodging a second candlestick swing and assuming a less dangerous position in the room, namely a few steps away from Sejena.

"Honestly, you could have waited for a bit. Paid me once to build up some trust and all. Not that it is going to do you any good now."

He seems to have assumed a somewhat more murderous character, contrasting with his earlier disagreeable and dense image most profoundly.

1 MP expended!

Shashari, feeling sleep to be an unlikely prospect, tries to meditate herself into either greater insight or sleep. Either seems like a pleasing prospect.

[Meditation roll: 6-->6]

Freeing herself from the cares of the world around her, of the sight of the humble shack, of the sound of a distant screeching bat (perhaps a distant screeching witch, she isn't entirely sure), of the smell of warm ram, of the feeling of the dirt floor. And in plunging into nothingness, she attains a deeper level of awareness. Not of the world around her, but of things beyond, things in the realm of Ash'Mah.

There is one that lives. It lives and it cuts. It cuts and it creates. It creates and it relocates. It knows not why. It knows that it must. It derives joy and it finds purpose in pointlessness. It knows things. It knows the where and the how. It knows not the what. It looks at the leaves and it appreciates the tree man's confidence in its works. It offers the tree man vast treasures, but the tree man always refuses. It finds the tree man's unwillingness disturbing.

Find it through its friend. Pilfer its secrets. Find its ward.

Shashari opens up her senses once again. It seems to be morning. The Siren is up and about, the ram is chewing on some grass outside, the floor is still made of dirt and, what's strange, Shashari feels oddly refreshed. Who knew sleeping while sitting up would be so comfortable?

Spoiler: GM Note (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 60