Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: mass effect vs 1 vs 2 vs 3  (Read 9037 times)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
Re: mass effect vs 1 vs 2 vs 3
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2012, 03:43:12 pm »

I'll just say that the last part of ME3 was just a really screwed-up dream that TEH EMPRAH had.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Cecilff2

• Bay Watcher
  • PikaaAAAAあああああ
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2012, 04:10:55 pm »

I just pretend it ends with Shepard and Anderson watching as the crucible arms unfold, with Anderson's cut lines.  Whether the crucible worked or not is left up to the viewer, but it was the galaxy's only hope against a seemingly unstoppable threat.
There comes a time when you must take off the soft, furry slippers of a boy and put on the shoes of a man.
Unless of course they don't fit properly and your feet blister up like bubble wrap.
Oh ho ho, but don't try to return the shoes, because they won't take them back once you've worn them.
Especially if that fat pig Tony is at the desk.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2012, 04:18:05 pm »

I really don't like large parts of ME3's plot anyway, but I don't really know what I'd rather have happened. Shows the problem the writers faced, really.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2012, 04:25:39 pm »

I think ME2 is the best, but there's a lot they changed from ME1 that I didn't like.  I liked the dungeon crawler feel of ME1, and the unlimited ammo.  I think the vehicle section should have returned in ME2 but with the problems sorted out.  ME2 definitely had better conversations, it's true.

One thing I really hated about ME2 though was how... little the story mattered in the long run.  ME1 set up the unstoppable force, and ME2 sorta winked at the unstoppable force and moved on.

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2012, 04:33:26 pm »

I liked the Mako in ME 1.
ME 2 was good story-wise.
ME 3 was a flustercuck
Is 3 really that bad I've not played it yet I liked 1 and 2
"Hiken: Tsubame-Gaeshi" -Sasaki Kojirou (Grand Order}

"Please touch me. Without lying, wherever you want to touch. That is my wish." - Kiyohime (Grand Order)

"Tyranny, violation, genocide. Those are the things that I detest above all else." - Amakusa Shirou Tokisada (Grand Order)

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2012, 04:41:38 pm »

ME 3 was a flustercuck

It's pretty all-around terrible, especially in terms of plot. I've heard theres some DLC, which might be called Leviathan, that supposedly fixes some of it? And then of course theres the Ashes to Ashes DLC which adds in what could be considered a extremely-important-plot-wise NPC companion, and the DLC that fixes the ending (though doesn't really adress 95% of the problems with it).

It also tries it's best to either retcon or completely ignore the entirity of ME2. A lot of the game feels really rushed. Theres the barest of minimum effort paid to trying to realise the whole concept of your choices affecting what happens in the narrative and how the game ends up, which makes it feel unsatisfying.

But on the plus side the SS Normandy and her crew are even more creepily sexified than the last game.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2012, 04:46:18 pm »

ME1 wasn't an RPG, it was an inventory management simulation. You spent 50% of your gameplay time frakking with your inventory, deleting stuff, selling stuff, all to deal with the item glut that the game threw at you without end. 2 and 3 vastly improved that situation.

I think the ME2 system with the "variety" of items of ME1 (more than 2-3 pistols) AND having the same for armor (instead of just Shepard getting armor prototypes) would have been nice. If anything, I liked how you customized the looks of all your squaddies.
Get rid of all the inferior weapons/armor (the ones that don't have ANY upsides). Keep the "you only need to find it once and you can equip everyone for free" system from ME2.

In the end, in ME1 I discovered the way to play was
1) Know beforehand which brands are good at each rank. Saves a LOT of time when deciding what to keep.
2) Turn EVERYTHING that you won't use into omnigel until... rank III or so? Even selling those was a waste.
3) Once stuff starts getting expensive, keep some of it to sell (you'll probably fill either your omnigel or your bank account to maximum very soon, so that choice will make itself)
4) Use OMNIGEL for Everything. Like, even the easy puzzles. You can't ever run out of omnigel, apparently.
5) Say "fuck it all" and get a mod/edit the ini to allow for a ridiculous amount of inventory space, never bother selling or gel'ing anything again :P

EDIT: Oh yeah, and adding ammo was stupid (not plotwise, just... stupid mechanics-wise. not broken / don't fix it!)
« Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 05:00:58 pm by Sergius »

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2012, 05:01:28 pm »

Oh, one advantage of ME 3:
It caused a shitfest among the homophobes.
Not to mention ME1.
THE SCANDAL. PARTIAL NUDITY!
Sig! Onol

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2012, 05:07:10 pm »

ME 3 was a flustercuck

It's pretty all-around terrible, especially in terms of plot. I've heard theres some DLC, which might be called Leviathan, that supposedly fixes some of it? And then of course theres the Ashes to Ashes DLC which adds in what could be considered a extremely-important-plot-wise NPC companion, and the DLC that fixes the ending (though doesn't really adress 95% of the problems with it).

It also tries it's best to either retcon or completely ignore the entirity of ME2. A lot of the game feels really rushed. Theres the barest of minimum effort paid to trying to realise the whole concept of your choices affecting what happens in the narrative and how the game ends up, which makes it feel unsatisfying.

But on the plus side the SS Normandy and her crew are even more creepily sexified than the last game.
So it really that bad, 1 and 2 were a lot of fun to bad about that.
"Hiken: Tsubame-Gaeshi" -Sasaki Kojirou (Grand Order}

"Please touch me. Without lying, wherever you want to touch. That is my wish." - Kiyohime (Grand Order)

"Tyranny, violation, genocide. Those are the things that I detest above all else." - Amakusa Shirou Tokisada (Grand Order)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2012, 05:33:00 pm »

Aaaaahhh EA. You probably wonder why most people with a brain cell hate you.
Couldn't be the ending; that TOTALLY made sense.
I just realized something. What ME3 needed was a good old case of Old Man Henderson.
Sig! Onol

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2012, 06:04:07 pm »

Oh, one advantage of ME 3:
It caused a shitfest among the homophobes the bots EA set up that ran through peoples' copies of Origin.

Last I heard, nobody really gave a rip about the homosexuality in the game. EA/Bioware just ballooned what would be the issue for publicity and to defend itself after reviews tanked and the fanbase revolted, so that those who disliked the game could be passed off as blathering homophobes.

Yeah, it's ugly.

Didn't they hire "protesters" to try and cause a scandal around the game before launch?

It's kind of hillarious when you consider that noone in the ME universe is really gay or lesbian, they all just wanna fuck Shepard regardless of gender. Shepsexual?

On a related note, have they included the same-sex relationships in SWTOR yet? Last I checked it had been almost a year since they got major press-points for being all "oh no yeah we'll definatly put that in after the deafening non-bigoted people outcry over that." It'd be kinda hillarious if they never put it in. In a horrible way.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2012, 07:15:01 pm »

I'd say, no, it isn't "that" bad, if you liked 1 and 2, you'll probably find a lot to like about 3, if just for closure.

Someone mentioned the DLC story fixes. I completely agree that adding fix-fics in as DLC is a pile of shit but... I think Leviathan did satisfactorily explain the Star Child. Short version follows, Massive plot spoilers if you haven't played the game, blah blah.

Spoiler: Ending Spoilers (click to show/hide)

Also, I'm not sure where the "everything was unstoppable in 1, then it wasn't and that sucks" arguments come from. The threat was already there in 1, active, incoming. If it were truly unstoppable, the game would be unwinnable?
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2012, 07:23:39 pm »

I loved Mass Effect 1 for it's story.  I feel like 2 butchered the story beyond all hope.  1 spends the entire game creating this massive sword of Damocles hanging over your head.  2 starts from the premise that now you are going to fight the sword of Damocles.  I feel like it's no wonder the ending of 3 feels like a letdown.  If you are fighting what is supposed to be an unstoppable foe defeating them is going to feel wrong.
That kinda story happens in a lot of movies and video games but some of them can actually pull it off. ME isn't one of them. They ruined a great potential. Still, ME2 did it right in my opinion. It's called a suicide mission for a reason. You and your companions can die. I really expected something amazing for ME3.
But then SHPESS CIHLD MAJIK happened. I like to believe that it's a hallucination or something. Or Shepard expires. Either way, no space magic.

Maybe a prothean did it?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Anyway, ME3 was one of my most anticipated games. I really thought Bioware could pull it off. Still, if EA buys a company, you gotta stop expecting good games from them right? Ah, well. That's the future of video gaming. It's like a fucking cancer.

And if there is an unstoppable Big Bad in a video game or a film, it's pretty much guaranteed that the Hero will go after them and the Big Bad will be defeated. Come on guys, don't act like you don't know this.

BTW, take a look at this to see how much ME3 sucks:

It's not just about the ending.

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2012, 07:46:43 pm »

Also, I'm not sure where the "everything was unstoppable in 1, then it wasn't and that sucks" arguments come from. The threat was already there in 1, active, incoming. If it were truly unstoppable, the game would be unwinnable?

It's not that they were unstoppable, it's that they were supposted to be hugely overpowered compared to an entire fleet of warships. They were supposed to be nigh-unstoppable. And you can still overcome a vastly superior enemy without defeating them in open combat.

And it's not even the loss of that that is the worst part. It's the loss of the Reapers cosmic horror-ness, their unknowable nature. Such wasted potential in the whole concept of the reapers.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2012, 07:53:47 pm »

Er, you have united the forces of the whole galaxy. If you do that, it means you are going to destroy a hugely overpowered enemy. Yeah you destroyed them using MAGIK! but they are hugely overpowered so you had to find something that could destroy them even if you have rallied the whole galaxy.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5