Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: mass effect vs 1 vs 2 vs 3  (Read 9048 times)

hawkeye_de

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
mass effect vs 1 vs 2 vs 3
« on: December 27, 2012, 01:03:39 pm »

A popular German online game magazine claims (simplified expressed) that only Mass Effect 1 would be a rpg...the successors, especially Mass Effect 3 would be much more action-oriented and not so good.

Since the Christmas sales time is there on Steam, is that claim correct...so would you advise me to get Mass Effect 1 when my focus is more on the rpg side?
"No matter what you or anyone else does, there will be someone who says that there's something bad about it. Whenever somebody comes up with a good idea, there's somebody else who has never had a good idea in his life who stands up and says, "Oh, you can't do that..."

-Tom Clancy

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
Re: mass effect vs 1 vs 2 vs 3
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2012, 01:06:33 pm »

In my opinion, ME1 has more RPG features, especially the inventory system. Why did they remove the inventory system? It was awesome, the items were great.

ME1 is a gem, the other two are "meh" especially if you are looking for the rpg aspects.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2012, 01:32:03 pm »

ME3 is very meh from lack of RPG elements even if you ignore the ending. Automated conversations, much fewer choices when you actually do get to talk... though to be fair, there's more RPG-isms in for example, weapon management than in 2 (but less than in 1 -many people hated 1's system, though).

I suggest you get ME1 and if you find yourself liking it, get ME2 as well. Both are excellent games.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ˇNo parmesan!

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2012, 01:47:08 pm »

2 > 1 > 3

ME2 had much more options. It was more interesting because your choices in ME1 mattered. The whole Suicide Mission was spectacular. Companion side missions were really interesting since your companions all had different lives and problems while you were... away. I think ME2 is more RPG-ish because of how they handled conservations, choices and the story. Choosing between being a paragon or a renegade felt like it was more important.

It depends on how you perceive "RPG". If you are looking for old-school things like inventory management and dungeon crawling you'll find ME1 better but if you prefer a better story, better dialogs, more choices and consequences, you'll find ME2 better.

However, I don't think you would enjoy ME2 if you didn't play ME1.

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2012, 01:54:56 pm »

1 > 2

for me. Especially in terms of replayability. ME1 just seemed much more fun gameplay wise although it did get annoying sometimes with 200+ inventory items and long treks on the jumpjet car (whose name escapes me). However I missed both inventory and jump-jet care in ME2, especially when it was replaced with annoying planet scanning and ammo scavenging.

I also liked in ME1 you could combine spells all by yourself if you wanted to unlike ME2's teamwork needed approach which meant you just really went 1 spell all the time.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2012, 02:01:47 pm »

I barely remember 3, but ME2 overall was the best one (apart from the can-shooting in 3)
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2012, 02:04:56 pm »

It gets less and less RPG oriented, and more and more gears of war style as you go along. Which was good and bad, good because they got rid of some of the fiddly, irritating aspects of the game, and made some very good additions, but also bad because they took away a lot of the fun mechanics.

So pretty typical sequels really. It's a similar story with things like Assassins Creed really.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2012, 02:37:31 pm »

The inventory system in 1 was pointless. There was 1 weapon/armor at each tier that was better than all the others, so you looked for that one, and then a better version of that one. The ammo/armor mods were okay, but about half were still useless, so you picked the good ones there and upgraded them, the end. If you like clutter and garbage sorting, I guess it's okay. Also, the planet environments were NOT designed to be driven over... so geometry screws you over. And there's the same 2 or 3 building interiors and that 1 spaceship that get re-used for everything.

The weapons in 2 and 3 actually had different feels to them, so you were able to pick something that felt good to use and stick with it. I thought the hovertank in 2 was paper-thin and felt a bit too arcadey to be much fun. Fortunately, it's mostly optional.

The writing was decent in 1 and great in 2, fell lightly on its face in 3. Paragon/renegade choices in 1 were mostly accomplishing the same goal with noble/asshole dialog. 2 your choices felt more important, and the interrupt system was a good change. 3 is more of a straight saint/asshole choice, with asshole being outright destructive to your goals at times.

BUT!

The character writing is good throughout, and morality isn't one shifting point on a linear scale, so playing a more nuanced character is possible (I want to fight to the death for the innocent, but people who deserve no mercy get a boot to the head). Many of the larger choices are interesting and have far-reaching consequences through the games, from a characterization perspective.

As said, if you want RPG inventory management and slower-paced character (skills and abilities) development, 1 is it, the others less so. If you want to play a role and interact with characters who develop with/around yours while building a story your way, the series is good. I love the series as a whole, but it's not perfect. Your enjoyment depends on how much you overlook the not-perfect parts to enjoy the rest (and there's far more good than flawed, IMO).

TL;DR: 1 is a good game and worth playing. The others will make NO sense without it. If you play 1 and like the characters/universe/story play 2. If you like 2, 3 refines the gameplay well and provides closure. I highly recommend importing characters from game to game, as the concessions made from not doing so really hamper enjoyment in 2 and especially 3.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2012, 02:46:11 pm »

I forgot something. I really hated how they used the same building layouts over and over again in ME1. That's one of the reasons why I quit playing it even though I was really close to the end. It's mostly used in side missions but I can't help the completionist inside me, I have to do these side quests! At least ME2 had different locations and even the seemingly most unimportant side missions had unique locations.

I also liked in ME1 you could combine spells all by yourself if you wanted to unlike ME2's teamwork needed approach which meant you just really went 1 spell all the time.
I liked that teamwork thing more actually. Being a bionic in ME2 was lots of fun. One guy lifts a group of enemies to the air and the other guy throws a grenade at them, sending corpses all over the place. It was cool.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2012, 03:04:42 pm »

I loved Mass Effect 1 for it's story.  I feel like 2 butchered the story beyond all hope.  1 spends the entire game creating this massive sword of Damocles hanging over your head.  2 starts from the premise that now you are going to fight the sword of Damocles.  I feel like it's no wonder the ending of 3 feels like a letdown.  If you are fighting what is supposed to be an unstoppable foe defeating them is going to feel wrong.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2012, 03:22:42 pm »

I loved Mass Effect 1 for it's story.  I feel like 2 butchered the story beyond all hope.  1 spends the entire game creating this massive sword of Damocles hanging over your head.  2 starts from the premise that now you are going to fight the sword of Damocles.  I feel like it's no wonder the ending of 3 feels like a letdown.  If you are fighting what is supposed to be an unstoppable foe defeating them is going to feel wrong.
That kinda story happens in a lot of movies and video games but some of them can actually pull it off. ME (the series, not ME1) isn't one of them. They ruined a great potential. Still, ME2 did it right in my opinion. It's called a suicide mission for a reason. You and your companions can die. I really expected something amazing for ME3.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 03:30:07 pm by Leatra »

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2012, 03:25:41 pm »

That kinda story happens in a lot of movies and video games but some of them can actually pull it off. ME isn't one of them. They ruined a great potential. Still, ME2 did it right in my opinion. It's called a suicide mission for a reason. You and your companions can die. I really expected something amazing for ME3.
But then SHPESS CIHLD MAJIK happened. I like to believe that it's a hallucination or something. Or Shepard expires. Either way, no space magic.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2012, 03:31:52 pm »

ME1 wasn't an RPG, it was an inventory management simulation. You spent 50% of your gameplay time frakking with your inventory, deleting stuff, selling stuff, all to deal with the item glut that the game threw at you without end. 2 and 3 vastly improved that situation.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2012, 03:37:43 pm »

Storywise, the first game was amazing. The second one kind of ruined some of the previous story, but I still found it to be decent. I think we all know how three turned out.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2012, 03:39:35 pm »

That kinda story happens in a lot of movies and video games but some of them can actually pull it off. ME isn't one of them. They ruined a great potential. Still, ME2 did it right in my opinion. It's called a suicide mission for a reason. You and your companions can die. I really expected something amazing for ME3.
But then SHPESS CIHLD MAJIK happened. I like to believe that it's a hallucination or something. Or Shepard expires. Either way, no space magic.

Maybe a prothean did it?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5