Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Refilling vulcano  (Read 1034 times)

Virvatuli

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Refilling vulcano
« on: December 27, 2012, 11:16:54 am »

How does the magma refill of a vulcano work? Does it always try to keep the same tile filled, fill to the same z-level, or maybe fill the obsidian pipe? The reason why I'm asking is that I'd like to remove the obsidian around a vulcano and replace it with glass, but I am worried that it wouldn't refill properly.

steelreal

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Refilling vulcano
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2012, 12:42:43 pm »

I've had a few instances where upon rembarking my volcano not only refills, but also 'erupts'. Magma begins flowing out the top of it and causing all sorts of melty burny fun.

MrShovelFace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2012, 01:01:28 pm »

that eruption is most likely the result a pump you built the wrong way
volcanos to my knowledge do not erupt at this point in the development

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • CARP, Canada's new helth care plan for the elderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2012, 01:18:41 pm »

Reclaiming a site in the sea will spawn 7/7 sea water in every tile that has ever been mined there or was originally sea water if not replaced by obsidian or constructed walls. Might be a similar effect with volcanos. I know they will slowly re-fill back to their original levels, but I suspect that they would also completely re-fill on re-claim and possibly then some.

codyorr

• Bay Watcher
  • Alcohol is how I make DF more !!FUN!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2012, 04:39:10 pm »

The tile with magma gone shifts around with the tides until the volcano is fully refilled. Pump out the magma from a lower level in a safe channel off the screen, build your awesome project, and then sit back as FPS hell is fully unleashed! :D
A rotting horse corpse since 201. !!DRUNK FORTRESS!!

OcelotTango

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2012, 07:53:54 pm »

People have occasionally reported that volcano will sometimes overflow. It probably has to do with cave ins, or the level of the obsidian tube vs the level the game thinks it's at.

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2012, 09:52:47 pm »

Overflowing would possibly be from cave-ins (most inexplicable things are from floating bits that make the game go "wait a minute").

Also, vulcano.
My wooden badge was delicious.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2012, 02:11:01 pm »

I've had a few instances where upon rembarking my volcano not only refills, but also 'erupts'. Magma begins flowing out the top of it and causing all sorts of melty burny fun.
This was due to, as OcelotTango stated, a problem with the level of the obsidian tube not being the same as the level the game thinks it extends to (thus resulting in a bunch of floating magma at the top of the volcano). In-game volcanoes will refill by slowly generating 1/7 tiles on the highest level of magma (or 1 level above that if that level is full and there is empty space above). Thus it is fully possible to pump out the magma of a volcano, build a floor that stretches all of the way across it to prevent refilling, build something inside, and then remove the floor and have it refill.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.