Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Just set up my first cyclotron  (Read 1653 times)

mscantrell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Just set up my first cyclotron
« on: December 26, 2012, 08:00:57 pm »

No educational material here, folks- flameaway's got it all covered.

Just posting to say that gently plowing a cheesemaker with an empty oaken cart for the first time is quite a feeling.

You gotta try it!
MSCantrell cancels Work:  Interrupted by Bay12 forums.

Sunday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Just set up my first cyclotron
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2012, 08:51:43 pm »

I did the same. Now I'm trying to figure out how to better weaponize it.

But crushing dwarfs is pretty fun. . .

Cobbler89

• Bay Watcher
  • Cobbler cancels celebrate Caesar: mending soles
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2012, 09:04:33 pm »

Oh, is that the name for when you put a simple loop of track across the middle of your fortress and power one end of it to get the cart to go around and around?

I did that experimenting with arcing airborne physics -- buncha rollers, a dip down and ramp back up... would probably have worked better with a ramp up from the ground level and no dip, but the real issue was the way my dwarves could not be made not to walk across the deathline.

To be honest, I have yet to get the hang of using minecarts to actually make hauling more efficient -- seems like you'd still need to have everything in more or less a finite number of places, each with certain sorting applied, and my biggest hauling problem was the time it takes to gather everything into one place in the first place. *shrug* It seems like they might help for forts with well organized production cycles though, I'm just not that good at being well organized about it.

Anyway, I think I prefer to call the cyclotron the "Blameless, Unbiased, Random Dedwarfinator", or BURD for short.
Quote from: Mr S
You've struck embedded links. Praise the data miners!
Quote from: Strong Bad
The magma is seeping under the door.

Quote from: offspring
Quote from: Cobbler89
I have an idea. Let's play a game where you win by being as quiet as possible.
I get it, it's one of those games where losing is fun!
I spend most of your dimension's time outside of your dimension. I can't guarantee followup or followthrough on any comments, ideas, or plans.

Drazinononda

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm really too normal to play this game so much.`
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2012, 09:45:23 pm »

I have yet to get the hang of using minecarts to actually make hauling more efficient

The only time I've ever used them effectively for this is on low-ore sites, to take bought ores from the trade depot on the surface to the forges above the magma sea. That's pretty much it.

gently plowing a cheesemaker with an empty oaken cart for the first time is quite a feeling.

In the back seat of the minecart, I assume.
Children you rescue shouldn't behave like rabid beasts.  I guess your regular companions shouldn't act like rabid beasts either.
I think that's a little more impossible than I'm likely to have time for.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2012, 10:39:58 pm »

I have yet to get the hang of using minecarts to actually make hauling more efficient

The only time I've ever used them effectively for this is on low-ore sites, to take bought ores from the trade depot on the surface to the forges above the magma sea. That's pretty much it.

gently plowing a cheesemaker with an empty oaken cart for the first time is quite a feeling.

In the back seat of the minecart, I assume.

Oaken carts? Whatever happened to the +platinum minecart+? Or the +lead minecart+ or +gold minecart+ for that matter.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2012, 11:46:58 pm »

I'm pretty sure my ☼slade minecart☼ is better.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

mscantrell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2012, 05:59:27 am »

Oaken carts? Whatever happened to the +platinum minecart+? Or the +lead minecart+ or +gold minecart+ for that matter.

Just getting set up and tested right now. The cheesemaker lived, even, which is what I was hoping for. For goblins, -bronze- with boulders.
MSCantrell cancels Work:  Interrupted by Bay12 forums.

flameaway

• Bay Watcher
  • Skeptical Optimist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2012, 06:44:48 am »

Congrats on the cyclotron.

I haven't found minecarts (using track) very helpful for hauling.  Mostly because the setup time for track is much longer than simply having a dwarf carry loaded minecarts about.  (that and you can simply toss a loaded mining cart completely across the map in just a few ticks using a few track ramps.  Dwarf carrying is better though because it enables you to auto filter all the stuff your dwarves make. Just take a bit of setup using track stops and routes. Once a system is working everything happens on the fly.  It's really neat to watch. 

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=114748.msg3890950#msg3890950

Check out this topic for efficient hauling suggestions using minecarts.

Minecarts and these automated quantum dumps are helpful for organizing your fortress, and reducing sprawl.  And they aren't that difficult to setup.  (quite a few steps to set each quantum dump up, but most of the difficulty is just setting all the parameters for cart movement.  That's just menu commands, so it's a matter of messing about in the route menu, until you understand how carts load and unload from stockpiles.  Not difficult, not trivial.)

I restarted my fortress so that I could implement automated quantum dumps.  The hardest part of the process was adapting my room designs to a smaller, dwarf-step saving, footprint.

I have one of these systems mostly setup now, and it's really interesting watching dwarves clean out a trade depot after trading.  It's a pleasingly efficient process now.

« Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 06:58:24 am by flameaway »
1) What?  Hey! Give me a break; I'm just a complex series of chemical reactions going about my business.

2) Legalize Plump Helmets.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2012, 08:06:56 am »

So, would a cyclotron be a suitable method of training a medical staff?
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

flameaway

• Bay Watcher
  • Skeptical Optimist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2012, 09:16:10 am »

It's a suitable method for killing your medical staff.  If you don't forbid that high speed mining cart cycling around...

However, anyone that survives will need treatment from any of your surviving doctors...

So I guess thats training.
1) What?  Hey! Give me a break; I'm just a complex series of chemical reactions going about my business.

2) Legalize Plump Helmets.