Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Problem with Hearts of Iron 3 DLC Installer - Can I change the path?  (Read 1693 times)

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I have recently purchased the DIG DLC for the game Hearts of Iron 3 on the website Gamersgate. I am unable to install the bloody thing however because I don't install my games to my C drive, only my E drive to save space. Whenever I start up the installer, it just says "Hearts of Iron 3 is not installed". I suspect the installer is confused because my game is not in the directory it is looking for, and the installer won't even let me choose the directory that it is going to install into.

I have googled the problem to see if it actually ran deeper than just confusion over file locations, and some people who have installed their games properly into their C drives are having problems because their main game was boxed, like mine, rather than purchased through Gamersgate, and there was some issue over registry keys. I don't know if I actually have the same problem as them.

I wish to know, however, if I can somehow edit the installation path of this installer. This would then allow me to determine if I actually have that problem with the registry keys, or it's just because the people designing the installer could not foresee that someone might not want to use the default install location for HOI3.

Doctus

• Bay Watcher
  • 黄昏よりも昏きもの…
    • View Profile
Re: Problem with Hearts of Iron 3 DLC Installer - Can I change the path?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2012, 01:34:29 pm »

Perhaps you could try using mklink so it's actually installed where you want, but can be accessed from the expected location as well.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2012, 01:50:00 pm »

Perhaps you could try using mklink so it's actually installed where you want, but can be accessed from the expected location as well.

That would be a good idea, but I'm afraid I'm very new to this kind of thing. Could you explain to me how to do that?

Doctus

• Bay Watcher
  • 黄昏よりも昏きもの…
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2012, 02:08:44 pm »

mklink /j "C:\whatever_path_gamersgate_uses\hoi3" "E:\actual_game_path\hoi3"

This creates a directory junction (a hard link) that makes the specified directory on C: point to the same data as the directory on E: where the game actually is. mklink documentation in case you run into problems.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2012, 05:33:39 pm »

mklink /j "C:\whatever_path_gamersgate_uses\hoi3" "E:\actual_game_path\hoi3"

This creates a directory junction (a hard link) that makes the specified directory on C: point to the same data as the directory on E: where the game actually is. mklink documentation in case you run into problems.

Thank you very much. I will let you know if I run into further problems.